Register now to get rid of these ads!

Planning my First Build - Modified

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patmanta, Sep 21, 2012.

1. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I've been reading the H.A.M.B. for a while now & trying to soak up as much as I can before even posting about what I'd like to do or really participating in much discussion. Now I think I've gotten to the point in dreaming up my first build that I'd like to bounce it off the community and maybe do a sanity check. So, here it goes...

I'd like to build an inline driven, supercharged, 5 speed Modified T.

What I'm thinking for the driveline has been confounding me a bit (yes, I've been over to fordsix).
    Engine: Ford 250 I6
    Intake: Offenhauser tri-carb w/o supercharger, stock with(?)
    Carb(s): ??? x3 1bbl w/o supercharger, 1 350-500cfm 2bbl with
    Headers: Fabricate a lakes header
    Supercharger: McCulloch/Paxton
    Trans: T5
    Rear: Quickchange setup (???Ratio???)

Does this sound like lunacy?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. oberg

oberg

I am mostly a lurker myself (been planning a build for a few years but haven't made much progress with a 5yo kid running around, new house purchase, mom getting cancer, changing jobs, and everything else that seems to come up in life), but I figured I would give you some encouragement as my plan also uses supercharged ford inline - I am setting up a ford 300 inline six with an Eaton M122H.

I don't know the displacements of the McCulloch or Paxton's that you are looking at, but having larger displacement for the same boost means less RPMs from the supercharger, and thus less heat load on the charge (from what I have read, I am not an expert). I am hoping that my 122 cubic inch displacement / revolution would allow me to use a moderate boost (6-7PSI) without intercooling. Your light car will help with this as well - my build is a crewcab longbed truck weighing over double your planned build.

I have a lot of saved pics of the tri-carb setups and obviously they are incredibly awesome. I debated the triple setup versus SC for a while myself, and although the SC will take quite a bit more work to kerjiggle, overall it may be a lot less maintenance (no carb sync, etc) so long as the engine can take the pouding (ie primo head gasket, forged pistons, etc).

If you can afford to do both (or if you have to save up for the McCulloch/Paxton), maybe build up the rest of it and run with the triple carbs for a while, then boost it later.

I end up not "finishing it" if I am out running around and enjoying it, but you may be a better man than I :)

Good luck with the build, sounds great.

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

It'd probably be a lot easier for me to use a 300 if it weren't for the size. I just don't think I can fit a 240/300 block in a tiny car. I think there's only a 3" difference in block length but 3" is a lot when you still gotta fit things like, oh, pulleys and whatnot on there. The biggest issue with the small block I6's vs the large blocks is the head. The Falcon 6 heads all have a Log intake cast into them. I'd have to A. just deal with it (which ppl have and still made power) B. drop $2k+ on the aluminum head from classic inlines C. find, import & rig up an Aussie head or D. cut the Log off, have my machinist buddy true it up & weld on flanges... which is what I may try.

If I was going to do this with a 300 life would be easier. I'd just buy an offy intake and maybe drop the head from a 240 on there for higher compression (or not). The 240/300 & the 250 blocks apparently take a 302 bellhousing too (this is why I don't want to use a 200).

Thanks for the input on superchargers, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the numbers. As far as finding one, I'm going to have to scour eBay & swap meets most likely. I've seen them online from time to time for fairly short money.

I've got a long way to go. My fiancee & I just bought our house, are still rennovating (with boxes everywhere) & my shop is a total mess. The "workbench" is a sheet of thin plywood with cabinets built over half of the top surface; i must demo that & build it up. I must also finish assembling my grill & my air compressor, toss all the garbage & put my crap and tools away ;) But at least after that I still have the space to build & set up some metalworking gear. I plan to fabricate as much as possible on this car.

4. oberg

oberg

As for the length, I am looking at using the serpentine setup from an efi year engine (which is the 300 I already have, serpentine and all accessories included :D ), as well as switching to an electric fan. Both should save space up front. I haven't figured out the supercharger mount or belt integration at all yet, but there are a few examples around that I have looked at to get a general idea. If you are really out of space you might see if a "pusher" fan in front of the radiator might work. This guy squeezed a 300 into a Triumph TR4: http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65324 and there is mention of one in an Austin Healy, so I think pretty much anything is possible with these beasts.

Since you say it would make your life a lot easier (which I think it would) I would highly recommend seeing if it is possible to use a 300.

Craigslist and the pick-n-pull seems to be the best sources of superchargers. The Eaton M90 was used in a TON of GM and jaguar cars and trucks, and should be really easy to find (I ran into a lot when I was searching for the larger M112, but obviously found the much newer and lower mileage M122H from a newer ford!). The M122H is huge and very heavy but if you are serious about SC then I would recommend keeping an eye out for them. Search sometimes by the car type as well, not just the model number (ie "ford supercharger" or "jaguar supercharger").

From my own shop build (took 10 years :p) I would recommend getting your shop ship-shape and sorted before messing it all up again with a build. Not having the right workspace and tools already setup will suck up all of your time and KILL your motivation due to lack of progress. This stuff is hard enough and time consuming enough as it is, and to not to be organized first is just suicide.

My wife has used life coaches for her business, why isn't there a garage coach out there to help people get set up? :p I know there was tons of good advice out there that I was ignoring and have since paid for in lost time and lost energy, and am now pushing myself to be diligent about cleanliness and organization *first*, and find myself much happier for it.

5. Not to discourage you but if this is your first build I would call it ambitious as far as the supercharger,,I would get it running and then go that route. JMHO. HRP

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I actually just got outbid past my comfort zone on a McCullough supercharger this morning :(

The trouble I'm running into with project motors is pretty location specific. I'm in MA where there aren't many yards left that have anything old and the pick & pull yards are few & far between. The project motors I CAN find are all too far away for me to go pick up and cost a bit too much in Freight to fit my current spend limit. So, I'm stuck for now, oh well :rolleyes: I guess I'll build up my Fiancée's motorcycle for her this winter & build the war chest up some more.

And I totally agree about shop sorting/setup. Mine's still a mess from the move and my tool collection is meager anyway. I still need a shed to put yard stuff in to keep it out of my workspace too. Likely, my enthusiasm has me tripping over my own feet at this point.

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Thanks, I do tend to try to bite off more than I can chew when I have too much time to PLAN and not enough things to DO. If I had any sense I'd probably be planning a build with a commonly built up V8 too but the idea of a boosted inline just has me.