Register now to get rid of these ads!

bloody nanny state!!! (victoria)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fuzzybear, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Every time we [in the states] give Gub'ment more power to legislate our lives, we get closer to this kind of shit...be very careful when voting.
    Rant over.

2. Ruggie

Ruggie

I could not agree more they are a pain in the ass.My friend went to get a ticket in the asrf raffle,there were two people at the stand and one asked me if i like the car i said it's ok but a little too street rod for me.I got scoffed at and then thy said "well it is the asrf",so i responded yes it is but i like a more traditional style hot rod,there answer was put steel wheels on it and looked down there nose at me,seems every time i deal with the asrf i deal with a dick head.You hit the nail on the head my friend there lack of understanding is killing us and to the asrf NOT everone wants to build a street rod so maybe you should think about that.

3. Ruggie

Ruggie

Sorry if i was to genral in my statement what i should have said is from my experience in qld i paid a standard fee for the inspector to come out each time.I do understand it is different in other states and i know some rules in qld have chanegd in the last few years.

4. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

And all these stops were required for the limited use permit system that is now Street Rod Rego????

WTF!!!

I guess that leaves us with 4 options.
    1. build a musuem piece, unable to drive it due to failing these tests
    2. build a street rod with all the modern trimings, or
    3. just give up, sell all your hot rod parts, and start collecting stamps.
    4. ??????

I had an engineer review my project, and he wanted head rests in a steel coupe, all lights had to be certified to a certain standard, 3 wipers, and a brake test, and a tortional twist test on the chassis, and a bunch of other requirements. Sure takes the wind out of your sails when you're building a car, with all these extra requirements, let alone the extra expense.

5. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

i was just reading re the brake test my old junker would fail the test as it wouldnt get up to 100 kms (65mph) in the required 20 second intervals if i had to bring the car to a stop .

6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

retarding the ignition is you friend during these tests. :)

7. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

ha ha stovebolt

8. A tub

A tub

dont give up, thats too easy , yea we dont live in U.S. or NZ so we all have to follow rules here we dont agree with,,, what about some cusso drums, theres guys here in S.A. that are getting approved with ohv v8s in the As as they had larger motors and were larger vehicles in weight, just an idea for u, dam why is it so hard, ive been following these rules as ive been building my car and ill tell u one thing here in adelaide they change their minds more than they change their undies i swear, i talk to rod collins (rodtech) here quite a bit, and he keeps me up dated to most changes that occur, it is what it is and we have to be strrong, do as they want, keep em happy and atleast we get some happyness but we all want the ideas we started with and what we see that made us like what we like. hope u can work ur ideas one way or another mate
    A-tub

9. flatoz

flatoz

amen!
    their blinkered approach is really hurting us all, being general ( as I know that there are a few good guys in it) they are not interested in looking at the more traditional car and how they can help us do what we want to do. So what happens? Us traditional guys don't join up.

Ask them how many new members they sign up a year... then ask how many leave...

pity, it could be such a great organisation, looking out for all rodders in this country, fighting the 'man'

10. i spoke to an engineer today who seemed like he was easy enough to work with. he does want me to make up a build plan and email it to him so he can see what direction i want to go, we discussed it breifly on the phone and he didnt seem too worried so fingers crossed:rolleyes:

11. Don't you have to be a member of the ASRF to get your hot rod on the road at all? I could of sworn in QLD you don't have any other option, unless its an ICV but then that has to be up to 2012 standards i thought?

Also, on the issue of brake fade.. Are we allowed to drill backing plates for ventilation purposes? I have often had an idea of putting a louver in each side of a juice brake backing plate to get air to pass through the drums. Don't know whether a louver or drilling would help or not?

12. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

well said

13. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Thats crazy. How often do any of us ever have the need to do that in our regular driving. Dont they realise were not racing them in the v8 super cars series

14. outlaw256

outlaw256

damn guys seems you got it bad down there.i live in the southern part of the usa and we dont take kindly to government telling us what to do.we dont have any kind of inspection process here, yet, but when it comes ill fight it...all i have to prove is that its not stolen, lol

15. Muzz

Muzz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In NSW if you change the capacity by a certain percentage (can't remember maybe 20%) and/or their is a power increase of a certain percentange you will have to get it engineered. We were going to put a hemi 6 in a 48 plymouth, while it satisfied the cubic inch change it did not satisy the power increase change hence needing engineering. This applies to modified production vehicles and not club or ICV vehicles.

On another note, whether you like the ASRF or not I would like to know what you guys are doing to improve the situation besides whinge about it. Getting cars on full rego is getting harder and the standards are always increasing. Club rego has been fought for, with benefits and standards you can run on your car that would fail under full rego engineering. The ASRF may not listen because their is nobody there to tell them.
    Sure you can lie to engineers and pull the wool over their eyes but wait and see what may happen if your involved in an accident or incident and your car is reassessed.

Worst case scenario is I will build my next car, fail engineering, trailer it to chopped and drive the ass off it. The money I save on rego will pay for my trailer hire and extra fuel for towing.

16. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Hear hear

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

17. If you start trailering your car to weekenders, you'll get labelled a trailer queen! Only joking, it's the only hot rod gig to rip it up at...

To answer your question what can be done instead of just moaning about the rules is make your own (Or work your way around them).

Either start with a stocker and put it on full reg before you tear it up and build your hotrod, or ...
    Start a club, register it with Vicroads (Here in victoria) and then write your own rego. Jobs done.

Get hold of Ryan or Willow at Chopped to find out the process if you can hold them still long enough.

Speaking of chopped - see you all at the bar.
    Lazy

18. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I was thinking that exact thing.

19. Or buy an original/traditional car, rego then tweak it to suit.

Dont laugh, both me and Gomez did just that.

Easiest way to go trust me - never gonna deal with those fkn morons ever again.

20. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

i know united we stand devided we fall ,but who want to be united if you cant build your car your way. thats what makes hot rods interesting being a individuals car .HOWEVER we must build our cars safe to go on the road ,i know we must have good brakes steering etc to be on the road ,but for fucks sake what about these dick heads with 500 hp and more on the street in light weight hot rods (kit cars) do they only need the same brakes as some one with a flathead or a stock old small block ? or is it they have enough money to pay the expert to sign there car off as ok ? .lets not even bring up cars with no front brakes etc thak heavens that one has been forgotten .trouble is its the average guy that is having trouble he only wants a safe fun car and its getting more difficult each time he starts a new build ,and with all due respect to rat bastard some times buying a car and personalising is beyond mr average hot rodder ,even though i agree with what he said and have done the same myself over the years

21. In NZ when all this started here,part of it was safty and alot was to do with getting old cars off the road as when they get sold the government got no sales tax from it. They also keep making new rules and changing old ones,keeps thier jobs going. JW

22. Ruggie

Ruggie

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  23. Fairlane

Fairlane
    from Australia

There are National Guidelines for the construction of Street Rods in Australia. These apply to any pre 48 modified vehicle. These guidelines are administered by the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board. Members of the AMVCB are from all the registration authorities around the country.

The Australian Street Rod Federation has been negotiating with the AMVCB for many years and has managed to keep many draconian regulations from applying to our types of vehicles. Due to some fatal accidents involving Rods, the authorities decided that any modified vehicle needed an engineers report before it could be put on the road.

The bottom line is this. It is not rocket science to build to the guidelines and still have a traditional car.

24. Muzz

Muzz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't think of it that way, how emabarrasing:).

I was thinking if we focus and educate a small group of engineers in every state then all would be good. Some engineers may not know or have experienced Hotrods but have been qualified by a governing authority to do so. The engineer may be proficient on motor homes etc. The experience I have had with engineers is one where they base little off written standards, perform little in regards to technical calculation and verifiaction but it has always been by their personal opinion.

Alot of guys within a 100km(60 mile) radius of me generally use a particular enginneer, not that he is easy (made me change a few things) but that he is understanding of what we do and are trying to achieve. When he does cars the regulatory authority are sometimes with him to assess and audit his work and he comes out fine. All cars he engineers are safe and he will not let anything unsafe or which may cause potential risk through.

25. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

as muzz has said yes there are some great engineering people around ,and in my state i dealt with a good bloke myself recently ,i walked into his workshop un anounced asked for some time at his convenience ,he said give me 5 mins and i will be with you .then he gave me his time i went with pictures etc of my build and he said to me after checking through my ideas .well you gave me your plans and it all sounds ok unlike some of my other inquires ! .then he asked me how do you know all this will work i said how about i bring another car of mine tomorrow to show you as its very similar in build ? na mate you have explaned enough as he is a practicle person .but not every one is as practicle as this man .so maybe ive been a bit harsh re the engineers but sometimes some of then have tunnel vision and only their way is the correct way. also a very close friend does enginering certification on later model stuff and some requests he gets are amazing and when he sayes no people get nasty

26. Wardog

Wardog

Look guys its a hard gig! We are all in the same boat and have to satisfy the engineer to get registration. But put the shoe on the other foot. Would you pass a car you were not 100% sure of for a person you had never met before just because they tell you it better this way. I am an engineering taradesman ( Fitter & Turner ) by trade and there is no way I would pass any thing that would put me in the firing line.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  27. Sure its a hard gig - but the real issue is Pr*ck Rds.

They have put ALL the responsibility on the engineer after washing their hands of it, so naturally they are cautious.

But they are still generally ignoramuses (from personal experience) when it comes to modded cars, what can work and what does not.

You don't drive/race theory.

28. Wardog

Wardog

I agree Rat. At the end of the day the sad part is it has turned from helping us modify and enjoy cars to everyone covering their arse in case 'something' happens.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

29. Hi FuzzyBear

Just saw this thread

Not sure if you are going for SR or full

On SR, the relevant "rules" are the National Street Rod Guidelines. Disks are "recommended" .....which means not compulsory, just recommended
    So if you can pass the brake test with drums, your good to go. Performance figures are at section 3.1 of NSRG. Good drums should have no trouble passing them.

Full is done against VSB14. It has completely different brake rules, but again it is performance based. If you can hit the performance target with drums, it should be passed

On the 20 stop fade test that a couple of people commented on, it's not intended to directly duplicate a driving condition you would encounter in normal usage. It is intended to duplicate the heat load of a steep decent. So 20 rapid stops will heat load the brakes to a point that we can do a fade test, on flat ground. This is way safer than getting the same heat load by doing a test on a steep grade.

On the "form a club" suggestions ........... the "rules" are the same regardless of which club you are in. Anything modified more than specified in VSI 8 requires engineering. Any club registrar signing off modified vehicles without sighting an engineers cert better have an insurance company with deep pockets.