Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coolest thing you have ever found at a wrecking yard???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jokerjason, Jul 23, 2009.

1. evs1

evs1

Back in the late 70's I was an Operating Engineer Apprentice and I had to travel all over the state depending where the work was, plus go to Charleston or Clarksburg every Friday night for classroom training. You burn up a lot of miles like that and I usually drove late 60's / early 70's Mopars. Furys, monacos, polaras, satellites, usualy pick them up for 300-500 bucks and drive them for 6-10 thousand miles before they weren't worth fixing anymore.
    I was at a local yard that had several cars out front with titles. Found a '77 Monaco, 360 2bbl full police package car with 14300 original miles. It had been crunched on the front end but the price was right at $700. Sitting right next to it was a '74 Coronet Sheriffs car that had a great body, it was just wore out. Had them both towed to my in-laws body shop and about a month later I had a showroom new looking car for about $1600. I drove that car for 7 or 8 years then sold it for $1500, with 96k miles. Money wise that was the coolest thing I ever found in a wrecking yard.
    I got $300 out of the Coronet, should have kept it and redid it too. It had a 400, factory duals, and an EPA certification sticker labeling it as a Non-Catylast vehicle.
    I also figured out that the Monaco was identical to about half of the State Police unmarked cars, so I got the same antennas they were running, kept the dog dish hubcaps and blackwalls and I had a Q-ship! Usually got waved through sobriety checkpoints, game check checkpoints and thing like that a lot.

2. A complete top-loader 4 speed ford tranny with all the Hurst linkage sitting in the back of a pickup at [of all places] U-pull-it where tranny's were 35 bucks with a 10 dollar core charge..
    .......and I didn't have 35 bucks with me!

3. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Same thing happened to me, except there was 2 of them and it was all you can carry day and my dad was with me, so I put a hood on my back and he loaded me up... we started to load on all sorts of crap we didn't even want just to make it a bigger pile! LOL I just carried the load across their 50 foot marked area like Atlas carrying the world!

4. T.KITCHEN

T.KITCHEN

ITS STILL THERE IN A SOUTH FLORIDA JUNKYARD!! Clear at the back of a junkyard is a '63-1/2 Galaxie all "jacked-up" with big wheels and "Stump-Jumper" painted on the side. Funny(?) thing is that its a real 4 speed"R" code car (427-2x4s). It would take a helicopter to get it out!

5. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Any idea what they would want for it?

Some of us are crafty enough to get something like that out!

6. Liquid Wrench

Liquid Wrench
    from Maine

Found a set of 5 knock-off wire wheels at our local dump a few years back. The guy who manages the dump mentioned they were from a 1960 MG A. Sold 'em on ebay for 500 bucks.

When I was a kid, I worked at a Honda Triumph motorcycle dealership. They were were dropping Triumph and had me load up a basement full of NOS Triumph parts and take 'em to the dump...

7. indianhead74

indianhead74

1955 pontiac starchief 2dr hardtop stainless mouldings and bumpers. Yeah

8. sadsack

sadsack

I didn't find it but I bpought ma t10 out of a 64 studie hawk for 45 bucks. those sere the days.
    sadsack

9. hot rust

hot rust

Attached Files:

10. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

Back in the mid 60's I found a 36 ford 3 window with a blown up Olds in it. I did't have the $75 to buy it.

11. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

:Mid 70's Ford truck with a Boss 429 AND a 429SCJ sitting in the box.
    Bought everything in box for 300.00 !

A bunch of other good parts too!

I better find the pics . . .

12. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

In Miami, early 70's I found a 58 Corvette body missing front cap in a junk yard...didn't ask the price. Around the same time a local transmission shop had a 64 AC Cobra with no motor or trans for $1000. Didn't have the $$ at the time.

13. Walked through a SC U-pick last fall and looked in an '80 Riviera and it had the factory AM-FM-CB-Casette radio in it. $25 later it came home with me and I sold it on eBay for $175.

I also pulled a tilt out of a '79 Pontiac Phoenix with no rust to it, got $125 for that. Phoenix is a Nova in Pontiac drag, so I figured somebody would want it.

I always look because the year before there was a straight, solid, bare '66 Coronet 2-door in there I should have taken doors and fenders from, and a '57 Chevy I probably should have pulled fenders from. Only so much room in the van and I only had a couple hours to screw around that day. It's always fun to go through a yard where most of the cars in the place have less rust than the one I drove down there in.

I did sell the '57 steering wheel for $50, though. It wasn't great, but some polish and paint could have dolled it right up.

14. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

When you come down this way, look me up. I have a line on an old yard Nearby I need to visit. The Columbia, sc pull a part usully has a good amont of old stuff in it.

15. lrlforfun

lrlforfun

OK Hamb People: I bought a 63 Riv. Got it home and there was all this First-Gen Riv jewelery wrapped in newspaper in the trunk. My wife who has almost 0 interest in my old heaps got the biggest charge as I unwrapped every piece and not only told her what the part was, I told her for what car it was for. She even unwrapped a few pieces too!

16. Deuces

Deuces

A brand new 1969 vintage fifty dollar bill...:)

17. A smashed flat 56 Olds 98 with a brand new engine and transmission in it. Got it for fifty bucks.

18. .
    .Wouldn't happen to have been out of Redmond, would it? Maybe a red and white 98 rag top?

19. Rob68

Rob68

I went to the Classic U Pull it in Boring a few years back for a specific part (the brass distribution block for the brake lines) $10 bucks for the part and $60 for the box of new in bags parts for the same truck I have. I figured there was about $600.00 worth of parts in that box. The show room was full of old grills,bumpers, and all kinds of trim (not the female kind though) and the yard was full of old stuff. Went out there last week and its all gone. Just another yard full of new junk.

Attached Files:

20. It was blue and white, the guy lived up the gorge and was taking it home after the engine install when he rolled it, this was back in the 70s. We put the engine and trans in by brothers 55 Ford pickup.

21. A 1934 Ford Ambulance! Had the gurney in it and all! While I was loading it, my wife managed to sweet talk the yard owner into GIVING her an old Harley 250 dirt bike! :eek: I've never gotten a junk yard guy to give me anything!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Have to edit this slightly, looking at pictures today, and I think it might have been a '35, not a '34.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  22. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

1957 Ranchero, with canted quads, tube grille, and one of the frenched,ribbed lakes pipes hanging on. it was in a yard behind sheppard A.F.B. in texas. Also found a foot, still in a shoe, in a wrecked Fox body in Alabama.........

23. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

A couple years ago I found this 11 ft. surf board in my local salvage yard here in Nebraska. He made me pay $100 but I sold it for $400. SURFWAGON1.jpg

24. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

The ENTIRE FRONT CLIP off a rear end wrecked Crown Victoria for $50 [ back in 1966 ] to install on my 55 Ford County Sedan wagon I'd paid $35 for because it'd been front end wrecked -- this was the beginning of my Beulah!
    [ no pics from back then but THIS is her after -- :cool:

4rescuefronthouse.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  25. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wanted a radio out of a '70 Polora. Had to take the a/c duct work out of the way. A mans ruby ring fell out and hit me in the head. Still have it today. My uncle used to collect change out of the junk yard cars. When he passed away. My aunt found a shoe box and 7 cigar boxes full. I think it was about $1100.00 or so.

26. 327Eric

327Eric

I got one of my Henry J's out of a yard in the 90's,car wise the list goes on, its how I made my money for a while. Sadly, most of the cool stuff had to get sold to survive. The coolest thing was an old Scheifer aluminum flywheel. It had been sitting in the back of an old school bus for years. No one could identify, and many had tried. I took a Gamble, and gave 50 bucks for it Later that night I was unloading the parts I picked up that day at a buddy's house(trade deal for a truck he had) and I mentioned I had this weird flywheel. He needed a flywheel for a 354 Hemi he had going into a Model A. So we walked into his garage, and set the flywheel up against the flange and It fit. 40 minutes to identify it and sell it, 35 of which was drive time. That flywheel, and some other vintage stuff I had gathered, old rims, 59 ford truck 9 inch rear and similar items for his build,turned into a 68 Ford truck in a trade right there, which turned into 800 cash 2 hours later, and I hour later I paid off the one day old loan that got my 59 El Camino. I coulda sold the El Camino that night for $3500, but I finally had my dream car.

27. IMAG1141.jpg
    this bus with a running Y block

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Lifting the hood of a '76 Ford F150 to look for a 302/C6 powertrain package and get greeted by a wasp nest the size of a basket ball !
    While running away came from the wasps I across a '61 Oldsmobile two door slant back (don't remember the name, Star fighter ?) but it had the sloping big back window and odd fins on the rear, the engine was a 331 or 341 CI with an automatic.
    Either way I had to sell it not long after I got it from the junk yard for $150 and it was drivable in 1982 !

29. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

`53 & `53 corvette exhaust manifold, only thing was, two bubba`s were under the truck taking off the exhaust pipes! asked them if they wanted the manifold, they said "no" [ i guess they thought they could bolt up the dual pipes to their manifold]. it cost me $10.00 sold it for $600.00.

30. godlemmy

godlemmy

My dad and I had worked at a few yards in the past and found all kinds of cool stuff. Got a set of caddy