Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which type of muffler glass pack? Need opinion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake84, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Blake84

Blake84

Got a little weak 223 inline 6 ford....just recieved my headers and I am going to run dual exhaust. I'm going to also ad a dual carb offy intake manifold with 2 1904 glass bowl holley's.

What kind of exhaust would sound good? Was thinking glass packs....open to others.....not sure what any sound like.....

Second was thinking of running 2 and 1/4 inch pipe any advice or opinions would be great.....

I would like a deeper sound and don't want to sound like a rice burner

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

2" pipe should be plenty for a 223" motor!
    The longer the tailpipe the more "rap" you will get, And sixes "rap" real good.
    Shorter glass pacs are louder, longer are more mellow.
    Good Luck and have FUN!
    KK

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cherry Bombs are glasspacks. Dual 2 1/4" dia. pipes are way more than you need for the little six, and might even add to the "rice burner" sound that you're trying to avoid. 2" dia. is plenty, and still more than necessary. Glasspacks burn out and get louder after time. Consider some quality, small, standard mufflers. They'll still have some rumble, but won't be too obnoxious. That is, unless you wanna be obnoxious...lol.

4. thats a nice lookin header, whos the mfg. thinking of going with something similar on my 235 or the split fenton cast headers , ive been told by some of the old timers around here to go short on the inlet pipe and as long of a glass pack or cherry bomb style muffler as i can find to get that sweet mellow tone with a nice note of bite at the end when you open her up , sounds like what "kk" is sayin too nice when all the advice leads one direction :)

5. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Inline 6s sound good with glass packs idling but when ya git on it they sound like ricers.... My friend tried it with headers and purple hornies and ran em all the way to the rear bumper. It sounded like a V8 idling but when he dropped the hammer it sounded like a 4 banger... I like me inline 6s quiet but thats just my .02

6. Blake84

Blake84

Patriot exhaust headers.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTE-H8425/

Ya I think I'm going to look for 24 or 30 inch glass packs

7. derbydad276

derbydad276

I have a pair of 2" x 30" thrush glass packs on my 300 cube f100 on a split efi manifolds runnimg tail pipes behind the rear wheels and the sound is low and throaty

but when wound up it gets a rap sound to it

8. thanks blake ill take a look into those

9. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Go on you tube and use "chevy 6 with dual exhaust" for your search. Quite a few videos of guys recording their dual exhaust on their 6's.

10. Max Grody

Max Grody
    from Ky

Does that header terminate into a single outlet? If so, it's gonna sound pretty much like any other inline six exhaust. Kinda like a ricer with a fartcan. I think an inline six only sounds good if it has true duals, three cylinders feeding each pipe and no mixing thru h-pipes or such. We used to weld up homemade headers for stovebolt sixes and ran straight pipe duals. They would definitely let people know you were in the vicinity.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The header has dual outlets.

12. Blake84

Blake84

It has two separate pipes. 3 into each outlet. It's a dual exhaust header

13. StrickV8

StrickV8

brockman mellowtone steel packs

14. Max Grody

Max Grody
    from Ky

I see that now! Hate to admit it, but my screen is fuzzy lately when I lose my glasses. I'd reckon about any set of glasspacks mounted as far forward as possible would sound good. Straight pipes would be even better if you can get away with it. And I think two-inch pipes would be plenty big enough.

15. Check out Porter Mufflers in the Alliance Vendors section.

16. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

I agree with blacktopbuddha. Go for the Porters. They are packed with stainless steelwool. You'll like them.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Like I told the kid, "Your musics not too loud, its just its like OKC, it sucks~!"

17. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey!
    I have a 38 Chevy Custom Coupe made way back in 54! Running a 270 Jimmy 6 & Fenton headers! I wanted a cool sound so we ran Smithys from Speed Way! Killer Sound & they are a old school glass pack! Good Luck! Bill

Attached Files:

18. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

A deep sound from a 223 inline 6 huh? Aint never gonna have that meat on the bone sound.

19. NAES

NAES

+1 for Smithys

20. nexxussian

nexxussian

For good rap and less "rice" you might want 1 7/8" or 1 3/4" pipe even, for a smaller engine.

That with meat grinder megs should be good, if that's too much rap, try pencil tips.

For mufflers, either Brockmans or Hushpower IIs

Good looking pooch. :)

21. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Dynomax super turbo mufflers will sound deeper then any glass pack. It's a chambered muffler. Been using them for the last 25 years.

22. Deuces

Deuces

Three thumbs up :eek: for Cherry Bombs...
    They've been disturbing the peace since 1968!..;)

23. diamond jeff

diamond jeff
    from montana

Too bad you already spent money on the header,it may rob what bottom end the 223 had left. I've done exhaust for 31 years,and still get guys coming to me for split manifolds.The trick is to split the manifold 4 and 2, then the exhaust pulses are staggered.When running 3 and 3 the sound is more like a geo metro or a v6 s10 with the cat knocked off. Any how, 22" to 24" perforated paks with no larger than 2" pipe. A nice set of bellflower tips or megs add a deeper tone.

24. Smitty's or porters are what it should run. It will not sound like a rice burner no matter what you do, 6 cylinders sound like a Piper Cub. Some people like that sound.

2" or 1 7/8 pipe is your best bet with that little no compression motor.

All that said I really like the sound of a cherry bomb muffler but it won't sound right unless you run smitty's or porter's.

25. cederholm

cederholm

Porter! Great product - great sound!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

27. I ran duals on my chevy pickup with a 292 six and clifford split header like yours. Drove it to the muffler shop with open headers and had them put 2 and 1/4" exhaust with their "house" mufflers...the longest glasspacs that would fit and I believe they were 24 inch..ran it all the way back to the tailgate and the last 2 feet were 3 inch..had a very deep, growley sound without that nasty "rap" sound that some guys love...I hate it!
    Was throaty and powerful sounding, especially when I put my foot in it. It was LOUD!....unless I was putting around town at low rpm. LOVED IT!

28. I think the sound of an inline six is like the 'beaner, you wither really like it or you really don't no one is ever on the fence.

29. slowmotion

slowmotion

I just never could make myself like the sound of a 6. Header, split manifold, nada. Sorry, can't help it, and no dis meant to those that do. Only one I ever liked was the guy who used bring that inline 6 altered to the nationals. That was some pissed-off bee's right there!

Beaner, OTOH, he's OK.

30. Uh I don't like 'em either.

You are right about angry bees though, used to be a fella that had a rail he raced on one of the local tracks. 300" Ford on alcohol, hilborns, bird shooters, vertex, went insane when he mashed the loud peddle.