Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost my little buddy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old-idaho-iron, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I served in the Persian Gulf and saw some tough things during my time and considered myself a pretty hardened guy....until I had the vet put my Australian Shepherd down.

I said goodbye to my old pal and walked from the back room of the vet's office, through the waiting room, sobbing like a little girl.

That was a couple years ago and I haven't had the heart to replace him yet.

2. dittos brother.

HotrodPrimer and I run the forums over at 1954Ford.com and we'll always bend the rules for someone grieving the loss of a pet or worse, a loved one.

You have to be a pretty sick puppy to not cut someone some slack in certain situations.

Dogs are usually constant companions out in the shop....working on hotrods, and they're always up for a shakedown run.

3. man, sorry for your loss. I had to send my girl off just last month. I held her till it was over. Still killing me.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

My two cats were about 17 when they passed and it tore me up, they had been with me through thick and thin. Said I never wanted to go through with that again, but then Lucky the cat came into my life and I am so glad he did. He and my Son's cat Chewy keep me laughing all day with the funny stuff they do.

I would encourage anyone who has lost a pet to consider adopting another one, not as a "replacement" pet, but rather just to give another one the loving home you gave the one you lost. They have a way of healing us from the sorrow we went through.

Don

5. voodoo1

voodoo1

Sucks losing your best friend. We had to put our Lab down last month. From Diabetes to the Cancer, it was a losing battle for her. So weird, this was the first thing on here that I read today. It's been 2 months, today. Stubborn, but always she was by my side. Mike

6. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

You have obviously never had a companion that you loved and with your shitty attitude you most likely never will. You should change your userid to "Iceman the Asshole".

7. BISHOP

BISHOP

I have two dogs I love like family...... Sometimes they treat me better.

I used to have a Bull Dog that would destroy everything, could not teach him anything, and jumped all over me, all the time.
    When he escaped my back yard, I never wanted to find him. Im sure he was inbred.

Sorry for your loss.

Confusing post.... I know, but be thankful for the time you had, and be glad you didnt have a dog like that bastard inbred bull dog I had.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

After last Friday for the first time in 23 years I don't have at least one Cocker Spaniel in the house . Peterbilt was just shy of 13 years old and I had him for 12. First owner was a Lady truck driver and that's where he got his name as that was her favorite truck,fit here also as I was into big trucks at the time. Had what the Vet thought was "Cushing's" disease and at his age wasn't in the cards for me to try to treat cost wise. I've had about 7-8 Cockers over the years and he had the sweetest personality ,some Cockers are a bit of a pain. Still got 7 other canines here though. At last count something near 17 Urns with dog remains sitting on shelves in the family room. There has always been 4-10 dogs here over the last 20 odd years. I DID say I was a dog collector didn't I. Some were more special than others but I loved them all and I think they returned the feeling. I don't think I could stand to come home without a dog or several to greet me. Sorry for your lose.

9. billydee

billydee
    from Houston

Better be prepared before you read Rainbow bridge !
    That poem with pick you up and body slam you !

Its definetley a excellent reading if you can get all the way through it... But beware

They call em' mans best friend for a reason !

Sorry for your Loss brother :(

10. Grumbler

Grumbler

My little Mary waiting to go on a cruise. (yeah it's OT, don't go there right now....) lost her two years ago just before Christmas. I've had lots of dogs all my life, bigger dogs.
    What Mary lacked in size she made up for in brains and heart and "attitude"
    I miss her terribly uploadfromtaptalk1348118912010.jpg

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

11. I lost my 2 kitties last year.
    It was the first of november,I remember it like it was yesterday.
    The sky was blue and the wind played with the leafs on the ground and the bird chirped all about with joyful voices welcoming the day.
    It was morning.
    I got up,put my sandals on and headed for the door to feed the cats.
    Mr wiggles and Mr wabbles were sleeping soundly on the porch.
    I put the cat dish down and called em to eat.
    They gave me a warm smile and came running to me.
    I pet them individually and gave em a hug.
    After they ate I took them inside brushed their teeth and gave them a bath.
    When they were dry we sat down and watched tv for a while,when suddenly!out of nowhere!
    Came a mouse running as if it was Satans paws it was merely escaping from.
    Mr wiggles saw it and started running after it,mr wabbles followed shortly.
    They chased it to the kitchen,to the porch and outside.
    Thats when they crossed the street.
    I came outside running but it was too late.
    A car was acoming and even tho the driver tried to stop he couldnt and i saw the whole thing,it was just like in the movies,in slow motion.
    The sounds that followed are impregnated in my brain forever.
    But,it was the funniest sound you will ever hear,it was like they were burping in unison and meowing at the same time,plus a loud fart was heard from the mix of screetching tirea,muffled meows and bones crushing.
    Now everytime i hear tires screetching,I.bust up laughing and i look to the sky and remember my two best*friends,wiggles and wobbles.
    May they smoke lots of catnip in cat heaven,where Tom finally eats Jerry and Antonio Banderas is finally dead.

12. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

so sorry for your loss my 12 year old rottie is fighting cancer right now and i m so dreading the day he asks me to say goodbye,,this is truly the best dog i ve ever known

Attached Files:

13. Blake84

Blake84

I'm really sorry for your loss....my dog cash is my best friend and it gets me choked up just thinking about the day I'll have to experience what your going through...

14. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Sorry for your loss, I will have to make that decision soon. My lil Cow is 13 years old pit bull . She has skin cancer along with arthritis. She is show me she is strong but I could see she is in pain. It's a hard decision. I had to put her mom to sleep after a night of fun she got hit by a car and suffered a broken back. Here is Maxy and Cow

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

15. Sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is very hard indeed. They will always love you if you are happy or sad.

Mtw fdu.

16. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Sorry to hear about your loss, Lost two this year, Tim Jones

17. chevy3755

chevy3755

they are better than most people.............had my own to put down awhile ago........very hard........cried like a school girl

18. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Agreed...Someone should toss a wrench at your head... :D

On another note, I am very sorry for your loss...It's hard and it sucks and I know we've all been there...hang in there! :eek:

19. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

I think the cruelest thing in this life is the disproportionate life spans of humans and animals.

My wife and I argue over who gets the ashes of which animal buried with who when we go.

Each one I've lost over the years has given me a lifetime of happy memories, but still makes me sad when I think about them.

I know that for every one we care for and take care of and love, there's another 25 that are neglected. Adopt a new one and take some joy from that - your little buddy will live with you always

20. sorry to hear about your loss...had a golden lab for 20 yrs that was tough....

21. SATANACHIA

SATANACHIA
    from Alabama

sorry for your loss. I can't imagine lossing my doberman. He's one of the most important things in my life, I dont have kids, but I feel like he is my kid

22. BISHOP

BISHOP

^Your avatar pisses me the fuck off.^

23. Sorry to hear! There's nothing like a great dog. If we were more like them the world would be a better place!

24. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

It is a quiet house and garage when my boys are not present. I would not want to lose them but Aussies only make it about 12 to 14 years and Mickey will be twelve in October.He`s been a great companion.
    We usually have an older dog paired with a young one for training ease. The young one catches on quickly when he has to follow lead and it makes it a bit easier to not lose them close together.

Been there and I feel your pain.

Attached Files:

25. hankthebigdog

hankthebigdog
    from oklahoma

I am so sorry for your loss. they are not pets most of the time, they are family. usually better. My little guy is more than a friend, he is my companion. May the Lord give you peace and help you in this time of need

26. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

I have lost two buddies as well. It still hurts, but I have great memories of them. I have four rescues at home---they are always happy to see me walk in the door each day. I'm sorry to hear of your loss- I know how much it hurts. Take care!

27. I'm really sorry for your loss, brother. I know it hurts like hell. When my wife and I met we each had two big dogs (all females), three of which were the same age. In 2010-2011 we lost all three. They were all 13 years old. I loved all of them more than I can tell you. Each one had a wonderful yet distinct personality. But the dog I grew closest to, was my wife's German Shepherd, Hana. She was the most amazing creature I have ever known. I miss her terribly and can hardly bear to think about the day we had to put her down. My wife and I held her in our arms and even the vet was crying. I don't think I've ever had a tougher day...ever.

We still have Heidi, who is best described as a "big orange dog" and a new German Shepherd named Bodhi joined our pack a year ago. I don't know what it is about shepherds. She is only 15 months old but is already an amazing dog. I already love that dog so much that it scares the hell out of me when I think I might lose her some day.

There is nothing like having the love and loyalty of a good dog. How could I possibly deserve such devotion?

If my dog is barred by the heavenly guard
    We'll both of us brave the heat!

~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

“The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon. But, to be sure, if he lived for fifty years and then died, what would become of me?”
    ~Sir Walter Scott

<HR>
    I love your avatar every time I see it. I've got the same kind of dog and the same GMC truck. When I get my interior back together maybe I'll set up the same photo shot and use it for my avatar...you know, just to confuse everyone. :D

You sir, are a soul-less ass.

28. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Sorry to hear old-idaho-iron.

Bishop you are the man!

We have to put down our old girl due to bladder cancer. We also picked up a rescue 3 yrs ago when she was 10yrs (she was just starting to show her age; white and brindle in pict ). The pup recharged her for 3yrs and it did help in training a pup, good and bad habits. :]

[​IMG]

29. old-idaho-iron

old-idaho-iron

Once again thank you to everyone who replied with their kind and encouraging words. I never would have thought that my simple post would have gotten so many replies. Guess it just goes to show pets can be your best friend in all kinds of situations. And Damagedduck, your dog looks like it could have been a twin to mine. It's only been a day since I lost my Josie, and I am starting to see and notice all of the little reminders of her all around. She had a good life and enriched mine as well.I miss her dearly. Once again thank you to everyone. It's good to know I'm in the company of such good people.

30. 1952henry

1952henry

Godspeed. I hope your memories sustain you in your loss. Can't umagine losing my little doxie Kurz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.