Register now to get rid of these ads!

Were all Chevrolet steering wheels the same,splined diameter area?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ranunculous, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Did GM,specifically Chevrolet use the same spline shaft diameter(where the steering rod indexes through the center of the steering wheel for it to press down on) for a number of years?

I have a late-model(ugly) steering wheel on my truck now that I want to replace with an earlier Corvette wheel.
    I've taken a pair of dividers and the center-splined opening of the two wheels is different by 3/16" or so?

The column is a 73 Caprice.Nothing has been modified on any of the three items;column or wheels.
    Hope this makes sense? Thanks for any info!

2. squirrel

squirrel

they were the same for decades...what years are you working with? (column and wheel)

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That's the beauty of Chevys, interchangeability.

4. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

yes, all the way into the 90's. the only things that changed were the turn signal cams and stuff. You could even do something like mount a 41 chevy wheel on a 90's column if you wanted to, you just would have to shave down the ring on the back some. Most Pontiacs interchange too, cadillac and olds had larger splines though until you got into the later stuff. The horn hardware is pretty much all universal too, amc, gm, mopar, etc, used the same parts for years and years for horn contacts.

5. The 73 Caprice column will fit steering wheels from 69-94 Chevy car (NOT Corvette)74-94 Chevy Trucks and Vans, 69-89 Caddy, 69-93 Pontiac, 79-81 Chrylser Trucks with Tilt, 69-93 Buick, 69-83 Olds, 76-95 Jeep CJ (most) and that is all for a true Bolt On.

6. atomickustom

atomickustom

What he said.
    The shaft diameter and spline is (I believe) the same back into the '60s and '50s, but the outer diameter of the column changed in 1969 so it won't look right even if it bolts up.

If you want to mount something older you can adapt it by modifying the wheel like this: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120327&highlight=steering

OR you can buy an aftermarket wheel to mount on your column.

7. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Hey fellas,
    It's a 73 or 74 Caprice column and a 70-74 Corvette wheel.
    I figured they'd be a fingers-in-a-bulls-bum fit,but there's air around the wheel's splines.The wheel that's on it now is one of those awful,sticky Camaro wheels?
    It's gotta go!
    A guy from the Corvette Restorers group(he's got 60+ cars and is a cool hot rodder)told me they were the same back to 49'? Uhhh,not this wheel.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a 59 Corvette wheel on my 48 for a number of years on the stock 48 column and wish I still had that wheel. it fit better than anything else I've had in there with the stock column. Some Corvette restorer though it was worth way more to him than I thought it was to me though and he took it home with him and I took a pocket full of cash home with me.

Flat wheels work pretty good with the stock column but dished wheels just don't fit right and mid 70's truck wheels don't fit too well either.

9. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Hotroddon told you Corvette is different

10. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I know Corvette was exclusive for some things,but you'd think Chevrolet would go the easy route and have all the center hubs the same on the wheels? $$$ rule Detroit assembly?

11. squirrel

squirrel

those vette steering wheels use a hub that the wheel screws too....do you have a telescope steering wheel? that would be different, but you should be able to find a non-tele hub to replace it with? I forget...it's been a long time since I messed with those things. Like, the 1980s.