Register now to get rid of these ads!

UTI... what are your guys' thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scibjenkins, Sep 18, 2012.

1. RodStRace

RodStRace

Glad you are not going.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3767531

The same advice for any field (including plumbing): ask the guys in the field. Show up around closing time on Friday and ask them if you can buy them a beer and ask some questions. Talk to more than a couple. Consider the time and bar tab an investment in your future. Invest wisely and you will end up getting repaid well.

2. 5window

5window

In mine line of work, UTI means Urinary Tract Infection and I'd probably put you on antibiotics-after I made you pee in a cup.

3. RodStRace

RodStRace

but it BURNS when I pee!:eek:

4. BurnoutNova

BurnoutNova
    from USA

I went to a community college for Automotive Technology. In High School I wanted to go to UTI or WyoTech but didn't have the money. Glad I didn't. Everyone that I ever ran into in the dealership or auto repair world that went to those schools didn't learn that much. Only the guys that had a strong background in it can pick up the knowledge in such a short time.

The biggest joke is UTI is not an accredited school, which may not seem like a big deal to you now, but not everyone works on cars forever. If you ever want to pursue a job in any other field, an associates degree is nice to have.

5. DAVEO!

DAVEO!

how about get ur class A and drive trucks? i got mine best decision i made. theres always a job driving trucks

6. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Yeah, I'm 23 now, as of the 13th. I can be very stubborn at times, but I've found that gets me into more trouble than good. But I've had lots of good work experiences. I worked on a crab boat for a short time, god what those guys to do to put food on the table is amazing. I've been working for the school district here, doing some construction, plumbing, and a little electrical.

I have been hanging out at a local welding/custom fab shop in town. But he has a son who comes and goes, I almost feel like I'm impeding a little bit. I lived up in Oregon for a short time, saw a few job openings for walk-in apprenticeships. I think I may look back into that. I just can't really afford to go out on my own and hope to get a job. Right now, I'm living with my parents (cheap rent) haha.

7. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I have considered that heavily. There's a school up in Oregon that I was looking into, not too far away from where I am now. Are you long haul?

8. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

Join the Air Force and be a mechanic. Same three year commitment, free food and board, and a heck of a technical education. Plus in the Air Force your chances of being shot while spinning wrenches in a hanger are pretty low.

9. DAVEO!

DAVEO!

i went to Western Pacific truck school there is a school in Sacramento Stockton and modesto i highly recommend them. i use to long haul i drove for about 2 years for US XPRESS then i went and worked for Budweiser then i quit there now i drive for Scotts hotrod hauling there shit across the country and work the car shows.

10. wallyringo

wallyringo

I was looking at the Avondale school a while back, very expensive school to get a entry level dealership job, better hope the manager likes you or you get the shit jobs and stuck paying back your school loans, stick to community college instead.

11. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Well all in all, I paid UTI $75 for a hat and a bottle of water!!!

12. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

What about a city job? I started out as a mechanic and after 2 years, learned it was better as a hobby for me. I went onto a city job and it was the best move I made.

Some cities you can start out in the "streets" department or something similar and move over to vehicle pool.

Or for that matter, what about Cal Trans?

13. stickwelder

stickwelder

I was at a loss at 19 at what career to choose. I joined the Navy. I went to the Hull Maintenance Tech school (ie shipfitter). Best thing I ever did. I learned to weld and fix stuff. I once repair welded the flagstaff back onto a Taiwanese destroyer my ship sort of bumped into. I was always given tasks that challenged me.

14. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

Come up here to Grants Pass and go through the automotive program at Rogue Community College. I went through the program and got hired at a shop before I finished. I have been turning wrenches for 18+ years now. It is a real good program and alot cheaper than the big T.V. schools. Plus it is close enough you can go home on weekends. They also teach some good companion classes like welding, machine shop, electronics, and computers, really helpfull stuff. Just a suggestion, and some food for thought. Worth looking into. Plus their their hats are cheaper and water is free.

15. RodStRace

RodStRace

There ARE some good schools out there, but they are almost always NOT the ones with a big advertising budget.
    If you are getting into welding, there are and will be a bunch of welding jobs out there, from pipe fitting to construction to big rig repair. It will be something you can do in a lot of different ways. Try to move up or select a job that does not beat you up physically, and you can have a long term career.

16. 5window

5window

Gotta stop drinking the Nitro...

17. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Are you kidding me? Those guys retire in their early 50s with great retirement and benefits!!! Stick with the school district. You've already got your foot in the door. Look around at the schoold district and see what you want to do. They will probably PAY for any schooling you need.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I went through the SAE approved IGO (Independent Garage Owners') apprenticeship, 4 years working at 'the best damn garage in town'...(that was the moniker all the old timers gave it) in Santa Clara, CA. We all strived to earn the SAE certificate, "Doctor of Motors". Can't recall when they dropped that, but it was gone before I turned out.
    I completed 4 years before I got my Journeyman papers. In my third year, (1960) I was taking home $94 a week; but we worked 6 days, and were very productive.
    From there I went to the 'prestige shop', the Cadillac garage. Couple of years there, then it was a German shop, VW and Porsche.
    After some years of Porsche, I noticed a change in customers' attitudes...Funny how that went with the Moniker.

I then went to BMW...2 weeks at Culver City (BMW USA West) and I was well-heeled.
    I continued at the BMW dealership for 3 years, then went to the 'big city'.
    Got an appointment with the Service Mgr a week after they opened, we got along, and I asked to borrow the file of 'pink sheets': (Factory memos to all dealers regarding callbacks and factory problems)
    I read them all, 3 or 4 days...then re-read some.
    When I started work there, a used car had some undercar damage, at the front suspension; I was the only mechanic (before they called us 'techs') that could weld.
    The serv. mgr. sent over to the sister store to bring back their MiG welder...
    Fixed it nicely in an hour. They thought I was a 'whiz kid'. (they didn't get out much! LOL)

There were some warranty 'issues' that came in, and I seemed to be checked out on all of them. (all those pink slips I read made me the 'fly on the wall' when those problems arose, got written down, remedied, and memoed) About 2 months of busy repair work, playing with the new Sun machine, discovering neat shortcuts, etc., I had my 60 day 'evaluation'.
    The service mgr kept his poker face, said I was 'performing satisfactorily', my salary would be discussed after he talked with the owner. (standard insult)

The owner of the company had me into his office, and asked, "O.K., what do you want?"
    I was puzzled...they never asked me that before, just acted like they wanted more.
    I told him, "I'm a professional. I strive to know as much as can be known, and would appreciate it if I was compensated for it."
    He asked me what I'd do if there was no 'extra compensation'...(non union shop then, but there WAS a pay scale)
    I told him "That's why they put wheels on toolboxes."

He laughed loudly, and said, "Sit down, let's get together..."
    One of the BEST bosses I ever had. He's gone now, and his company went to the wolves.
    But I worked there for 16 years, made Journeyman salary plus a 'kicker'. (big one, it was confidential)
    After his death, I left and opened my own shop. 14 years of that was enough to make me question the motives of Mankind.

Would I do it again? Not the way cars are nowadays...unibody, sharp as razor edges, front wheel drive, electronic nightmares.
    My daughter's fiancee went to WYO tech, took the entire program. (think he said $34K!!!)
    "If that guy was workin' for me, he wouldn't be workin' for me!"

19. Quintin

Quintin

UTI and WYOTECH both a big waste of money... alls they turn out are kids that think they are going to start at shops making tons of money and getting right to the top right away. the kids ive seen come from there dont wanna take the garbage out cause thats for the shop bitch to do (new guy) when he is the new guy.

my good buddy took all but a few classes at wyotech, spent tons and tons of money and now works at a sign shop making canopy's

20. There has been some good career advice shared. The most important thing is to get an education that gives you options. Consider a school like Pennsylvania college of technology (you can google it) you can get an associates degree or even a bachelor's that's accredited. They are affiliated with penn state but the program is hands on.
    Many years ago I faced a similar decision and chose to keep cars as a hobby and pursued other interests for me it was a good choice. The right education is never a bad choice. In are neck of the woods uti will get you an opportunity at dealer ship.

21. Kyle Counsil

Kyle Counsil

i am kinda in the same boat (with my son) he is a huge car nut like my self and we took the tour at the Houston campus of UTI (last weekend) and it was kinda impressive but there were several things that didn't add up and when I questioned them they went on to other topics. I myself went to a junior college and dropped out after a couple months and pushed a broom in a body shop for a while and learned from everybody that would take the time to show me. But I got finally got a job working with ice cream to pay the bills and not get burnt out(I found that when you work on cars and do bodywork for a living you don't want to when you get home) I guess that is the way it goes.......But i'm glad I spent the time pushing the broom and being tought that way.

22. dynahoe

dynahoe

get in a dealership.if you have any ability they will send you to school and you can be master certified in less than 5 years and able to do the work...a lot of masters i've worked with can't do shit... they get trained and certified but can't fix. good luck

23. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Thank you so much for all the great advice guys! I'm reading every single one and taking it all in to consideration.

24. GREASER815

GREASER815

I went through their auto-diesel program. Graduated out of the Glendale Heights, Illinois campus. I already had experience going in, so some was a refresher. I always thought it was a waste of money, but I have a really good job that the diploma was a huge help for the getting in the door part. So, nothing beats real world experience, but if you cant get that than why not get it at a school.

25. Master of None

Master of None

I must be one of the lucky ones I guess...... I went to Wyo-tech graduated, got a job running a shop. Ran it for one year, played with others cars at home on the weekends. Ended up making the same money during the weekends as I did at the shop I was working for. Eight years later I VERY GRATEFULLY have a waiting list of clients.
    I can't say that my schooling was the only reason for my success, but it did help me get a foot in the door. The main thin I can say that has led to my success is my attitude. I went into school with the attitude I knew nothing. I learned a bunch of stuff that I didn't know. I also re-learned a few things, and got even better at doing what I did know.
    So basically what I'm saying is, if you go into anything with the right attitude, you will be successful. If you want to learn, you will,no matter where you go. If you go in thinking your the next Jessie James.......well......its going to be a real hard life.

26. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

great advice here. the military has lots of great technical training that employers look for when you get out. or consider joining the reserves if you dont want to commit full time.

i joined right out of high school, got a BA a few years back. like someone else said, it was kind of a waste so im back getn a BS in structual engineering. Uncle sam has paid for all of it.

27. el shad

el shad

I learned a bunch at UTI, but I paid for my schooling myself, so I was hungry to get the most out of my time there.

The flip side is I learned WAAAAY more by working in a shop that I ever learned at UTI.

Do whats right for you.

28. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

Not UTI, but Nascar Technical institute in Charlotte. My Stepson went there, racked up many thousands of dollars in student loans, and came out without any hands on experience. I tried to talk him out of going, but the slick talkin' saleman hooked him. I knew he was in trouble when he helped me put a water pump on his Mom's car. Had the book knowledge and theory, but not so much how to twist a wrench. He washed out after about a year as the re-con guy at a local dealership. Now he is managing a video / game store and struggling with loan payments. :(