Register now to get rid of these ads!

Photo Sharing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Motorhead Extraordinaire, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

We take tons of photos of our cars and lots of other cars too. I always share my images with a car owner for gratis. Most professional photographers, like Dan Greenberg, regularly share their images with the cars owner freely with proper credits. If we use an image, we always give credit where credit is due. We even try to help promote a photographer work.

I recently found 3 pictures on a Flicker site of The Raven. I contacted the photographer and he flatly refused to share the photo's of my car unless I paid him $20 for a small picture or $40 for a larger one. When I explained to him that I wanted the pics to include in my cars image library and that he would get full credit for the images, he refused again and went so far to remove the images from the web entirely.

I am baffled by this greedy behavior. I have no issue with making a living taking pictures but it's my car in the images and all I wanted was copies, again with proper credits, to include in my library. I don't mind someone making a living from my subject matter but geez, you would think that compensating an owner with a couple of pictures would be a no brainer.

Is this greedy behavior on the part of the photographer, or am I expecting too much?

How do you handle photograph sharing, especially with the owner of your subject matter? Do most people share with you? Do you share?

Attached Files:

2. yes. it's kinda crappy that he won't give you a few pictures of your car , but i guess that is his choice. i say take some of your own pictures of your car and not share them with him

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

funny post. what do you do for a living and can I have some for free?

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

So just do a screen capture!! It's not that hard and you don't have to deal with some idiot photographer Nazi!! :)

5. Some photog people make it where you cannot easily lift those
    pictures from the net. There may be ways I don't know about to
    "borrow" them, but they seem to be protecting their work.

Did you even know this fellow had pics of your car? Did you ever
    sign a waiver for him to use them? Seems he might have been a
    little more hospitable toward the car owner. As was said also...
    can you take more pics yourself if you want more?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  6. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

We give away lots of stuff and also our time for free. Sometimes helping someone, without making a buck, is the right thing to do especially if it is incidental cost or effort.

In this case, my car is providing him the canvas to make money. One would think that trowing the dog a bone would be good for him and his business.

While I will not trash him by name publicly, he surely will not get my accolades like I would bestow upon other photographers like Dan Greenburg, Russ Rocknak, Dan Strohl, Mike Bradford, and many other.

7. 117harv

117harv

If your car is in a public place, it's fare game for pics, unless they are making $$$ with the pics...I think.

8. You are expecting too much, go to any major car show and here will be someone there taking pictures of your car to sell to you. That is how they make their living.

That is like saying that I should work on your car for free just for the honor of working on your car. Not in this life, I may do it for free because I may not want to charge you for it, but if I did work on it you wouldn't expect me to do it for free would you?

9. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

my thoughts are... i take alot of car pictures.. lots! and there for my own pleasure. i have thousands of pics. even ones saved others have taken. its nice to sit down and just look at peoples work and there skills put into these cars, no matter what kind of car it is..
    if an owner approached me and said thats a really nice pic i would love to have a copy, i would do anything to make sure he got what he wanted.. just for the fact he likes my photos and it is his car... i agree that cars showed in public are fair game. but he obvously charges for the photos, so the last thing i would want to do is piss off an owner of what i make my money off of... the saying goes you gotta spend money to make money. in this case he is taking pics for free and sellng them to make money.. not so much as right in my eyes. give the owner a picture... be happy that he admires your photography skills

10. You can use a screen capture and get any image you want from anyone's site on the net. A lot of pics are water marked and and it takes an expert to make it go away.

That said it is ludicrous to think that craftsman no mater what his or her craft should throw you a freebie just because you want it. A lot of us donate our time but that is because we choose to do so, that doesn't mean that we should expect someone else to do the same. It just doesn't work that way.

11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

reread what you posted, you contacted a photographer who said they are selling their images and you asked to be given them for free, what did you expect: a shiatsu and a rub down?

he offered to trade, you wanted a hand out.

Lets look at Adam Smith and the law of absolute advantage: For 2 counterparties to trade voluntarily both must gain. If one counterparty gained nothing (lost), they would simply refuse to trade. Sound familiar?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  12. As a professional automotive photographer, or photo nazi as the case may be, I thought I might chime in. First off, the photo in question is not one of mine.

I travel to dozens of shows, and have a vendor booth at many of the shows. There are some very big costs involved for the artists at these events. Consider that we have vendor booth rental, travel expenses, meal expenses, materials for printing, inks, etc., merchandising display costs, and much more. What I do may appear to be "Free", but that is really not the case.

Please try to consider the photos as a work of art. Anyone can snap a picture of a car, but they may not be able to create an image with the artistic quality and feel of a professional photo. If you really like the image, consider buying it. If you like the image but can't afford to buy it, consider trying to capture a photo similar to the artist's on your own. Nothing wrong with that.

I had a booth in a few new shows this summer and ended up loosing hundreds on the events - my costs far exceeded my sales. This will happen, and as a business person and an artist I have learned from it and will move on.

If the person that captured the image that you requested makes his living shooting events, he is no different than the pin striper or air brush painter and has a right to ask to be paid for his art - even if that art includes a representation of your car. Another item that many may not realize, as a photographer I rarely make any sales of images to non-owners. Its not that I don't try, its just that most folks only want cool shots of their rides - not somebody elses.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  13. Muttley

Muttley

Yep, too bad he took the pics down before you had the chance. I'd have told the dude to KMA, its my car and if you photograph it you better be prepared to give me a free copy. Before you go to the next show print out some BIG signs to cover your windows that say "because of **insert A-holes name here** these signs are here to prevent you from photographing my car and selling the pictures without me getting a cut."

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

first part is correct, second part isn't. there can be some touchy issues arrising from using a persons likeness in an image though, always good to get a release when taking pictures of peoples.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

yeah, that will show him. :confused:

16. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I'm a drag racing photographer & occasionally I will shoot a few cars here & there at shows. I rarely post anything for all to see because someone always wants something for nothing.
    Fact is- your car is at a public show. Just because a photographer shoots your car doesn't give you rights to free photos. We're not talking models & releases here, it's an inamate object. We don't need a release from you.
    At a drag racing event- my photos are for sale. Just because I captured an image of you leaving hard w/ wheels up at the start line doesn't give you free rights to my photo because it's your car. I might seek you out & offer the image for sale but don't expect it for free- unless I decide to offer it for free.

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

As a freelance photographer I have been paid for my work. If the photographer wants to keep his stuff and charge that is his decision. It cost money and takes a lot of hours to take these pictures. I have gotten to the point where I share alot of my work with indiviudals who just like a picture or see one of their cars but my work is also forsale if someone wants to use it for professional purposes. (magazine, ads, or other software).

I enjoy being able to share our hobby with those that can not attend a particular event. I have respect for other photographers and like many i have a website dedicated to my car show pictures and dedicated to some certain types of cars (wagons and woodies). On occasion I have asked others if I can put their photo on my site as it was a shot I missed or was a picture of a wagon or woodie that is more rare (with their name in the title of the picture). On the few occasions most say yes but I have had one or two say no. (I understand and respect that decision).

It is my opinion if a picture is posted on a website it is free game to capture and put on another site (as long as you are not making money from it) as it was put out in a public forum. (but you should ask first out of courtesy). If it has a watermark, that should never be removed via any software. the owner of that shots wants to ensure others know he/she took that picture I would probably put them on mine if I knew how to do it easily....

So anyone with Woodie or wagon pictures that would not mind me putting them on my site, send them to me and I will add to my archives so others can enjoy

18. sawzall

sawzall

like boones. I take alot of snapshots, I haven't been PAID for my photos (yet) but expect someone who uses my photos to indicate at least where they found them (most likley my photo site)

and (like boones) any photos of woodie wagons are of interest to me.. especially detail shots that show how parts are assembled!!

19. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

You know whats so fucking funny about this is all the assholes of the world want free photography from a a photographer. Tell you what, if you are a plumber, come over to my house put in a new sink and copper pipe. I promise I will give you all the free credit and praise I am capable of mustering.

If you wanted the photo that goddamned bad why didn't you just spring for it you cheap bastard!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  20. Muttley

Muttley

Why would anyone pay for a picture of their own car? I can take one myself or just walk out into the garage and see it in person.

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

why would I take a picture of my dick, when someone else can and make it look a whole lot bigger! It is all about perspective!!

22. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I'm assuming you have a photographer at school shoot pics of your kids for the yearbook & then they SELL you packages of different size photos.
    You can see your kids every day. Why buy them? Why should you have to pay for them? They are your kids.

Just maybe- a pro can do a whole lot better job of shooting your car than you can with your phone.

23. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

Dear Mr. Buick59,

I don't understand why you would call someone an asshole or a cheap bastard unless you are looking in a mirror. I, and I am sure many others, take personal offense to your abusive language and personal attacks.

The images in questions were snapshots, not from a photographic session. I have and will continue to support and pay professional photographers for their work. Maybe I was expecting too much but in all my years of collecting cars, most photographers both professional and amateur generally share some of their work with the car owner when they are out there taking snapshots at a car show. I would have shared those images, with the photographers name on them, on many a web site and via social media to help out the photographer.

Let me tell you a story about Dan Greenberg, a well respected HAMBer. Dan took a photo of my car at the 2011 GNRS. It was beautiful. He shared this with me and with the proper watermark credits as I would expect and want to see a photographer do. I have posted this image and shared this image on social media so that the world can see his wonderful work. It's my testimonial to the work of this great photographer. It cost him nothing to share this one image and it cost me nothing to tell the world how great his work is. I think it is called washing one hand with the other, if you can possibly comprehend that concept.

Since giving me that single image, Dan has, and for a fee I was more than happy to pay, did some fantastic digital editing on some of my own images. He also made me some of the most beautiful prints for which I more than gladly paid him for. Since his daughter is living in my area he will be traveling to see her soon. If time permits, Dan will be doing a photo shoot of my car, for which I will gladly pay him for.

I am not an asshole or a cheap bastard. It's called sharing and helping each other out. Obviously this is something you know nothing about.

Maybe you should take your abusive rant to someone who cares.

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yep...

bwahaha. lighten up Francis. Read your own post, you are indeed cheap. And have no sense of humor. And a very thin skin. You should have coughed up the $20. Now you are immortalized as a scrooge on the world wide webs. wahhhhh

25. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

I want to thank A32Flathead (Dave) for sharing these images of The Raven at Pebble Beach. The images are great and we really appreciate them a lot.

I showed them to Arthur Bentas, who built the Raven, and at 89 the old mans eyes still sparkle when he looks at his creation.

As we normally do, we put your Copyright on the images.

Thanks again for your generosity.

Regards,
    Joe

Attached Files:

26. Forget the emotional responses and drama. This is the civil, moral and courteous approach to photo sharing. I couldn't have said it better myself.

If you want to easily watermark your own photos download a FREE copy of Irfanview. It does batch processing for resizing and watermarking in one operation.

http://www.irfanview.com/

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what a fun thread.

28. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

WOW, you are so generous! You mean you would have shared those images with the photographers name on them, on Facebook, and other "social media"?!?

Tell you what, you come to my house, here in So-Cal, and install some of your cabinets and work benches (from Motorhead Extraordinaire) in my garage. I will then write a blog about what you did; giving you full credit of course, I will also put it on my Facebook page and even start a Twitter account...giving you full credit of course!!

Its funny that you call the photographer "Greedy" because he asked for $20 bucks! Somehow greed and $20 don't equate, yet you cry and whine when I called you cheap. You also asked on a public forum what other people think!

You are still a cheap bastard.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  29. ShortBus

ShortBus

You've just discovered the difference between a professional photographer and an amateur.

I don't see how 20 bucks is such a high price to pay; the photographer got off his ass, drove to the show, walked around all day shooting (not sitting in the shade drinking beer), drove home, then spent some time processing the files to make them look gooder. If it's an out of town show, figure in gas/food/lodging expenses. Why shouldn't he be compensated for his efforts?

I watermark my work when I post it on the web so people can save it and share it. As long as they don't alter my signature I have no problem with it, it's when they print it out or use it for something else (like in a logo) that copyright infringement becomes an issue. If you want a print, you're going to pay. Use it in a logo? Sure, just ask and pay a small licensing fee. No one should work for free.

Whatever you do, don't follow chadillac's advice, it sounds an awful lot like stealing.

30. Flywheel Photography

Flywheel Photography
    from Austin, Tx

Im a professional photographer. I have been out of it for a few years but am getting back into it and to get some practice, I offer the owner the digitals with the option to purchase a print for the use of their car for an evening. Thats the only reason Id give my photos away without money changing hands. In this situation I am getting something in return, practice, which I need. But I wont just give this away for free, It took lots of time to get good at this. This is not a snapshot. This is my business, not a hobby.
    [​IMG]
    As she sits. Gold Fever by Scotte Photography, on Flickr