Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there a T-5 or other 5speed that'll bolt right onto a 292 Y-block?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I'm seeing some threads that say to modify this or change that in order to get a 5 speed into the '59 Ranchero with a 292 that is going to be my 12 year old son's first ride. I'm adamant about going with a 5 speed in order to gain the additional fuel economy. However, I'm looking at what I can do to find the easiest possible swap into this truck as possible.

I've seen those that say you need to be wary of the shorter shaft and/or the deeper bell housing, etc, but I don't 100% understand what all they are talking about. In my opinion, a toploader is going to be the easiest due to not having to wrestle or wrangle shifter linkage.

Also, didn't the T5 or T10 allow you to change positions forward or rear where the toploader shifter could be mounted - something about basically unbolting an access plate and the shifter cover itself and swapping them for 8-10" of being able to move the shifter forward or back?

Forgive me my many questions - I'm trying to 'build' this thing in my head since I can't afford to pick it up at the present time. That and you never know just what parts I may come across in the daily life down here - I may get lucky enough to latch onto the parts/trans I need!

Thanks!

2. Lots of guys in the 52-59 Ford group have T5's in their cars with Y-blocks. My 56 has a 302/T-5.
    You can check out the group here.
    Good luck.

3. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

A less expensive alternative might be a standard four speed that used on pickups where the fourth gear is overdrive... Three speed with overdrive would get you the gas mileage without having a bunch of mods...

4. elroy

elroy

Im doing it right now ,the bell housings are 1"longer soo your adapter needs to be 1" thick to even that out .the 292 TO bearing will fit the t-5. you need to counterbore the trans side of the adapter to fit the input bearing retainer.the bell housing side will need a a raised register to keep the bellhousing concentric with the input shaft. The actual bolt pattern is pretty straight forward the bottom two bolts are in the same place so a long bolt can go thru it all. the top bolts are pretty simple with a good set of transfer punches
    Or call munnerts and get it for 199.(I Think) and bolt it in in minutes
    Wait what was the question

5. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I put a T5 in my 57. Had to buy the adapter, measure everything & shorten the input shaft, buy a clutch disc to work w/the trans, modify the rear trans mount a bit and get a driveshaft (I used an 89 Town Car) cut & balanced. It was alot of work & I did it in the dead of winter on my back.
    It was well worth it. The car is an absolute joy to drive! If you decided to do it, I would recommend getting a T5 from an S10 Chevy. Puts the shifter more forward than the Mustang T5.

6. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

7. kingofthestreet

kingofthestreet

8. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Good suggestions on here. I have seen a mid 80's Ford pu 3 spd w/ o.d in a 53 F 100.behind a nice flathead. It is still a top loader so it looks alright and added a good hi way gear with little modification.

9. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I'd go with a 4 speed for ease of install but the problem with every 4 speed I've ever driven is that they always act and sound like they are ready for another gear/shift. Had a S10 Blazer once with the 4cyl/4spd and it was a blast to drive, but it sounded wrapped too far out in 4th gear at highway speed to just be 'right.' I often caught myself trying to shift another time even though I knew there wasn't another gear. The mileage suffered as well, and I *know* it would have been a bit better if it had that extra gear.

As for the 5th gear/5 speed swap, I'm definitely looking into it as I know it'll be the best option (short of a 6 speed!) as I remember back to my first car (1941 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe) that had a GUTLESS 305 Chevy and got me around 13mpg. I could handle the gutlessness of it had it gotten decent mileage or the lousy mileage if it had the grunt power I wanted, but I parted with it because at the time my dad wouldn't help me with either. I don't want my boy to suffer complete dislike of his truck because it suffers the same issues my first car did.

Lots of great information here, so please keep it coming! Thanks!

10. Clark

Clark

I hate to tell too many people but the 80's Ford truck 3 speed overdrive is the way to go. Fourth gear is overdrive, like a couple of guys have mentioned.

Comparing a 4 banger to a Y block is aples to oranges. The Y block has plenty of torque.

The cars I've done have been set up with a 3.75 gear and tall tires. You shift 3rd to 4th at about 55 mph. You can take off in second if you feel like it.

The tranny will work with a stock car bell housing with a few modifications. First the input snout will need machined a little...that or the hole in the bellhousing will need opened up. Once that is done the tranny will bolt up with 2 bolts. The third will need redrilled. The last hole will need the bell housing drilled.

Shifter location is perfect for an early hot rod.

Clark

11. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I wasn't comparing as far as torque or horsepower goes, I was merely trying to comment on what I had 'heard' while driving, and that the 4th gear sound - which is what most of us use to tell us when to shift - was that it always wanted to be shifted again.

I don't know if the S10 Blazer had an overdrive 4th gear or just set up as a 4th gear or not. If the 4 speed overdrive will work, it may wind up being the way to go. I priced the adapter through Wilcap today and if it is the right one its $255, which isn't too awfully bad.

Still hoping for an easy solution though, but I guess nothing is just going to fall into place for me.

12. Im about ready to pull my hair out trying to figure out an inexpensive way to do this. I have four T5 trans. Which one should I use? I am putting one behind a 292 TRUCK bellhousing.

I have two S10 electronic speedo T5's.
    I have one WC Mustang V8 T5
    I have one NWC Mustang 4cly T5

Which one should I use, and if I use the S10 or the tailshaft, how do I convert to mechnical speedo?