Register now to get rid of these ads!

*"Tis the last rose of summer"* The Sept. 2012 Banger Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I was very happy when my cranky ex-wife no longer got support... she was pretty far from the center of reality......

2. I am right there with you Brother!!

Personally, I think she had a few too many crossed wires..................

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

You knew her too?

4. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Btt

Attached Files:

5. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

RICH: Do you know what kind of rod he used on your head, I'd like to give it a try on some cast farm equipment,

Jerry

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

He said he used nickle rod in a stick welder

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Rich

You can run some Irontite in the engine to cover the chance you've a pinhole leak once it's running

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm just hoping it doesn't fall out when it has hot gas on one side and cool water on the other. Sometime in the past someone did an excellent job of welding a patch into this same port. He is probably long gone now. But he was a heck of a craftsman. I would liked to have seen how he did it.

9. Johnny Nitro

Johnny Nitro
    from Chicago

Looking good, everyone!

Got the fuel lines on my banger all plumbed the other night. Do you think 3/8 is too big?;)

Attached Files:

10. JEM

JEM

Now I know why he hasn't had time to get to the snouts on my Cortina hubs for the past week and a half ;)

11. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

Thanks Rich

12. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

13. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Time to drop the pan and check your clearances.

14. TV

TV

Thats really funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

"Knock-Knock-Knock"

16. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

Can anyone comment on the succes or failure rate of crack repair in the B and C blocks. I'm talking those radiating from the exhaust valve seat area.

I'm looking at a short motor with head but am wary. It's been sleeved back to std too.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Rob

17. You forgot the BANG, before the knock, knock, knock.

18. I'd prefer not to but I'm building one with a single crack repair at the moment with my fingers crossed - I'll let you know...

19. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

G'day Monkeybiker,

One crack I don't think I'd worry too much about, four out of four has me concerned, especially the couple of long ones to the right of the photo.

Cheers,
    Rob

20. jakeknapp29

jakeknapp29

I got some lettering and numbering done on my speedster a few weeks ago. I also had my exhaust header coated. Turned out pretty good I think. I'm getting her ready to run the Newport Hill Climb next month!

Attached Files:

21. I have had a problem with the SBC adapted dampeners slipping on the hub. Makes it hard to time an engine. Cranks still break

22. noboD

noboD

I was thinking about this harmonic balancer thing again today. Has anyone ever been able to measure how much deflection is in a crankshaft with or without a balancer? Cast verses forged, etc? What is acceptable or normal?

23. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Well, it wasn't the babbit. Rods plastigaged right on but shims needed pulling on all the mains. Had a blown head gasket between 3 & 4 cyl.
    So, new Best Gasket torqued to 65 lbs. under the Thomas Head and new pan and intake/exh gaskets. Dropped in the Mallory duel point and fired it up.
    Knock-Knock-Knock.... damn!

24. JPB,

is the balancer keyed to the crank with a std (chevy) key or the "A" key?
    I can see the short "A" key giving up the ghost.

noboD

I don't think the process by which the crank is manufactured has much to do with the ultimate strength. Obviously the material does, but the design and amount of metal has more effect. I often wonder about the block having enough rigidty to properly support the crank at racing speeds. I can think of a motor where the main bolts were replaced with short studs (not through bolted to normal assy) and the center main web came out of the block, the crank didn't break, but had a 1/8" bend in it.

J

25. That looks excellent - I love a spot of hill climbing myself!

26. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

John

What supports the crank is a good clean wedge of 80C oil. The oil's non-compressablity floats the crank whichever way the block and caps go. In this way the crank block and caps comply at the same multi rate and direction

Please remember everything is dynamic in all directions

The design feature that keeps the non-oil wedge supported parts from fracturing are the radii

27. ebtm3

ebtm3

Other things to check--that I have found looking for a knock--

1 flywheel to crank bolts (rare)

2 cam gear loose on hub (common)

3 broken spring on plunger that controls cam end play-you can tell this easily if you have a scope--spark timing will be all over the place.

4 end play on crank

5 not enough space between piston(s) and head at TDC

6 head gasket overhanging bore (not likely in your case)

Herb

28. ebtm3

ebtm3

Agreed!

Why don't one of you fellows that run your engines at astronomical revs get your crank welded up with a - say- quarter inch radii on all journals? The guy that grinds the crank will bitch, because he wont want to dress away that much of his wheel- just tell him that the customer is always right.

You would loose a little bearing area--but on the type engines that you are building--is that all that important?

Herb

29. Bluto,

basically agree, however, at some point the crank will flex and eventually something will break. I know that at a certain level of HP, the crank (C) cannot handle the stresses and will break. Going to a stiffer crank with more mass may have the effect of dampening out some of the accel/decel differences of the pistons and survive.

The block faces much more design challenges than most people think when it comes to making HP.

J

30. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The crank is always flexing even at idle.

Everything will break in time