Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Ford Truck Project Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott in Missouri, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

Looking good, thanks for sharing. Attached is a few of my truck:cool:
    WANTED I'm looking for a rear bumper

Attached Files:

2. 1low51f1

1low51f1

Your truck looks awesome. Are you running bags under that or is it old school? What is your drive height?

3. 123lrs

123lrs
    from Illinois

I just got a 1951 F1 and want to do some modifications to it. What tupe of front end did you put on? Also do you know what type front ends will fit on the 1951 frame? I would like some spes on the suspension if you have them.

4. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

Hell of a write up on the suspension! Very detailed. I will be putting my '49 to the same treatment this winter. Just a few questions...

My '49 has de-arched front main leaf springs to the point they bottom out on the chassis. The steering is also sloppy as hell, so I intend to rebuild the box. After looking this article over, I have decided to stick with the solid axle, replace the front leaf springs and lower the ass the same way you did. How does it ride? I am not expecting a modern ride from it...but something better than what I have. I also feel the suspension is having a HUGE negative effect on the steering...with no movement in the springs to speak of and a sloppy box it is a bitch to keep straight. I just hate havin a sloppy box! :D

5. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

I also love these trucks.. I have a 52,74 nova front clip.power steering,302/aod and nova rear end that i just got on the road and really stoked to see more and more of these trucks come out.. Neal in alb has started a panel and it is lookin good.. good job and thank you for sharing your progress and pictures! Here is a few of mine.

Attached Files:

6. bigalow49chop truck

bigalow49chop truck

looks good keep pictures coming

7. bigalow49chop truck

bigalow49chop truck

good luck on the 51--- truck looks good

8. I'm going s10 chassis swap, but it's still great information... I like the free rear end lowering...

9. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

im confused as to whats wrong with the tires "locking up".... and if you put wider tires on it its only going to make it look bad, and its still going to "lock up". nothing wrong with being able to lock up brakes. im pretty sure id be dead if my brakes didnt lock up. your truck isnt setup for anti lock brakes, which is basically for retards who have no idea what to do on slick roads besides slam on the brakes.....

10. Raunchy

Raunchy

When the tires lock up and you slide you lose your braking effect. And distance to stop increases. And you lose steering too.

11. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

you lose braking effect? ok maybe im retarded and dumb but that makes no sense to me.... are we talking dry land here? i know that locking up the tires makes you lose your control, but his truck doesnt have anti lock electronic system.

also, if you are in between two cars, and behind a car or truck, and they slam on the brakes...... you arent going to want anti lock brakes i almost got into a horrible accident because of that same sinerio, i had no place to go and my brakes were just "buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" i shut my eyes and braced for impact and to kiss my ass goodbye. missed it by mear inches. i disconnected my anti lock brakes that very night.

12. Raunchy

Raunchy

I can tell you have weed in there. And since you don't understand, and to argue or try to explain my point would be wasted time.

13. nice looking truck im getting the big time urge to own a 50's F1

i thought a 51 F1 had the same grille as a 48-50

i guess im wrong

14. nitrozahn

nitrozahn

They changed the grill for 51 and 52. They had the three teeth grill.

15. k-member

k-member

Great old thread. There is also a bunch of great info in the social group on here called "Bonus Built!" dedicated to the 48/52 F series truck.

16. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

That is true k-member

17. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Very good thread. I am partway thru with my 48 and will use the rear suspension information here to lower mine. Easy & Low Buck! Now if the weather will only hold up.

18. Vinnyinaz

Vinnyinaz
    from Tucson

Hi Dirtracer,

Are you still working on the 51? Do you have other pictures of it? I really like the look of it. I've got a 51 also and want to make some changes like the outside visor. Where did you find yours?

Vinnyinaz

19. Hey, thanks for the great info, after passing on a rough '45 ford, it looks like I'll be grabbing a '52 tomorrow that'll be getting my flathead swaped in place of the 460/c6. Good info on the 5 speed swap to since I don't think my 3spd will be going into the truck with the flattie.

And of course, it will get a lowered stance to, so that info will help out alot. Do you have any new info as far as everything working out now that you have a few more miles on your truck?

20. RiKi5156

RiKi5156

Mid Fifties sez there axles are 53-56. Is that what you have?

21. updates on this truck?

22. Scott in Missouri

Scott in Missouri
    from Missouri

Folks have asked about an update... Truck has been finished for a while and came out great. It has been sitting for a year while I was in Iraq, but I just got back and since I never use it, I would sell it. If it doesn't sell I plan to convert it to 12 Volts and drive it.

Thanks for the interest,
    Scott

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Welcome home, and thanks for your service. Glad you made it out safe.

Good luck with the truck, whichever route you take.

-Dave

24. Scott in Missouri

Scott in Missouri
    from Missouri

Time for a 6-12 Volt upgrade. Here is the parts stash I pulled together from Speedway, NAPA and Oreillys. I got the 6-12 Volt conversion booklet from Speeday, by Randy Rundle, and think it is interesting, but way over priced. It is a good read, but not "Top Secret" stuff and actually closer to what you will piece together after a couple internet searches. I think for how small and general it should like $4.99.
    I switched out the bulbs yesterday- I can see already that this engine bay work will lead to a facelift under the hood. More to follow on the hardware changes.

Scott

Attached Files:

25. MORodder

MORodder

Fantastic thread. I don't have a truck but this very educational and it doesn't look like garbage. I too have used Powder Paint, they are top notch and unmatched pricing.

26. Bugsiegel

Bugsiegel
    from New Jersey

scott,
    I am in the process of mounting a t5 behind a flathead in the same truck.
    How did that new trans cross member hold up over time. There's a bunch of weight being transferred back being that there are no rear engine mounts. Has any sag developed over time?
    Did you do any other reinforcement changes to the cross member you fabricated or anywhere else to make up for the large 12 section you cut out?
    Thanks
    Paul

27. restomod32

restomod32

Here's a pic of my lowered 52 F3 (running boards are 5" off the ground)

The truck has the original flathead, long tube headers, 5 speed T5, 4" drop front axle, custom machined front hubs 5 on 4 1/2", power steering (toyota P/S box), power brakes (GM Hydro-boost), 4 wheel disc brakes, 16x6" rims and wide whites, C notch and 4 bar coilover rear suspension, 9" ford posi rear-end....[​IMG]

28. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Great pictures and information!! Very helpful.

29. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

Looking good, thanks for sharing:cool:

Attached Files:

30. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon