Register now to get rid of these ads!

generator vs altnernator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trbomax, Sep 13, 2012.

1. squirrel

squirrel

So....are you a T5/pertronix/alternator sheep? or a 3 speed/points/generator sheep?

:p

There are at least two ways to look at it

2. johnie22

johnie22
    from so-cal

I would say T5/pertronix/alternator for evey day use. and 3 speed/points/generator for weekend ride

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Use what you like,...it's YOUR ride. I am one of those "fake generator" users,.... Because I can.......

4TTRUK

4. Great! My old 12Vneg. generator works just fine. I'm not going to fix what isn't broken!
    The wiring on the other hand........

5. A tub

A tub

neither, yes i have a pertronix(hidden in my twin point mallory) , i also have a 3 speed box($25 from a mate, cheap!) and a fake generator, but also have a 12volt converted gen , im getting the fake gen , purely on reason of my pertronix, no i have no issue of changing points as im a mechanic and do this all the time at work, and no im not getting into elec ignition versus points discussion either, like i said before if u like it then do it, and thats what im doing, i built my flatty and proud of it,as i did and still are my whole car as most on here are, these are what i saw as a good thing for my tub and my engine, so went with it, not to offend or upset anyone, at the end of the day my tub will still look right, and do what its intended to do

6. A tub

A tub

cheers max, what ever happened to just plain enjoying our hobby :D

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

By now I should know better than to get involved in discussions like this.

But if using the parts that were available in the period cant even get traction on a site that concentrates on Traditional Hot Rods and Traditional Customs ( instead of using parts that were not ), it seems to me there is something wrong with that...

Use all the modern, superior, must have gadgets that make you happy on your car.

Just dont try to pretend its trad, if its not.

8. A tub

A tub

just remember this, everyone has their rights on this site to express their opinions ( in a respectable manner of course) , theres no wrong or right here,

so its okay to pretend when you have a japanese five speed gear box and a nine inch, but god forbid you run a generator thats an alternator, or an alternator,its not different just because most cant see it, how is this wrong please explain to me

10. Love early 6V and 12V generators for obvious reasons.

I also love the early moPar birdcage alts.

I wonder how many gearheads in the early 60s swapped out Gennies with MoPar birdcage alts that could be found in boneyards ?

I mean, if they could step up to juice brakes, then OHV engines, transmissions and rear ends, how easy would it have been to swap in a MoPar alternator?

Having said that my roadster will only ever have an gennie/6V a its a pre WWII car and thats howI want it to stay for reasons already discussed.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Yes I remember the old Chrysler alternators and it was not unusual to see one on a Ford or GM engine. They were the first. I can get the nostalgic connection to the Mopar alternator for that short period of time but GM and Ford soon copied and the rest is history. Remember they used a separate voltage regulator and require more than one wire to make them work.:D

12. squirrel

squirrel

That's an interesting thing to say to a moderator....

:cool:

13. Diavolo

Diavolo

Some might read this little article as to which is better.

http://www.allpar.com/eek/alternators.html

BTW, Alternators have been around since the 50's, ergo traditional to this site. Number one reason to use an alternator? They charge at idle.

They are also more reliable and provide a "cleaner" electrical signal, if that is needed for anything.

Use what you want, but alternators are traditional AND better. You might not need better, it's up to you.

14. squirrel

squirrel

I put a datalogger on my car for a while, it was fun watching the system voltage jumping around, with the 10-SI alternator. Yeah, they can provide a cleaner electrical "signal", but don't count on it.

My wife's dart with an alternator has always had dim lights at idle. It might just have too much resistance in the electrical system? but revving it gets everything working again. And yes, after replacing things a few times it still does it. It's been that way for 32 years that I know of.

I put a generator on the big block when I swapped it into my truck in the late 70s, it worked fine, then I got fancy and added the HEI and decided I needed an alternator.

I have yet to see a 1950s type alternator on a hot rod. Except in an article about alternators in an old rod magazine. I think most guys realized it was black magic.

Use what you want, but don't pretend an alternator is traditional.

15. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

For those who want an alternator but don't like how it looks, a simple measure is to paint the alternator black or engine color. Which of those is best depends on the car and engine color. It doesn't make the alternator go away, but a painted one doesn't attract the eye as a bright silver one does.

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Is anyone running an old Chrysler alternator in their hot rod? Would love to see one.

17. I hate to see a modern alternator on an old engine. But I love the "finned" look of the late 50s Mopar alternators myself, lets see some pictures.

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

19. Max Grody

Max Grody
    from Ky

Fair enough! Now, how about those pretend traditional parts that don't show or are disguised to look like something they're not. Do they pass muster in your view?

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

No they dont.

The hidden ones are still there, and the fake disguised ones are worse that the real undisguised parts.

But why would you worry about my view?

My own Model A Roadster has some parts that are too new as well.

They are cheats from the original concept, and I know why I did use them.

But end result is, that it still takes away from it being as Trad as it could have been.

That is the trade off, and those are the decissions you make.

So run with it or dont.

Just dont try to bullshit anybody about it...

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Over the winter I am going to hunt for small alternators to see what one will fit in a generator case without too much work,I am looking for the look of old and have cheated a bit on my 37. I am planning on adding halogen headlights so a actual generator might not do and would rather see better at night then be perfectly correct but will come up with something to get me the look.

22. F&J

F&J

jcmarz; can you go back and edit your post on #139 please :)

You have a quote from me, that I did not make,... it was unclee's post I think...

23. Max Grody

Max Grody
    from Ky

I'm not worried about your view. But, I am trying to understand where the line is drawn on traditional hotrod vs. nontraditional hotrod. (Or streetrod). Since you expressed a traditional view, you seemed to be a logical source for information. My confusion lies with sorting out the mods that let a hotrod remain traditional vs. those that do not. I certainly understand the view that if a part didn't exist in 1965 don't use it. What I don't understand is "this modern part is okay to use on a traditional hotrod, but that one isn't". I think you've made it clear that you don't share that view, but others seemingly do.

And, I'm not trying to bullshit anybody.

24. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Per the responses in this discussion, different individuals have that line in a different place. That's why every time this comes up there is no consensus.

25. A tub

A tub

i agree with u here metal, im not lying about my parts im using, im upfront, but also theres alot of guys on here using such things as pertronix, powergens etc, yes they arnt the authentic part, but lets not segregate the community over something that is not the whole picture, i say if 90% is original then why nit pick , also the point of whole package deal comes to mind as opposed to this 1 or 2 parts that arnt traditional, all of us are putting in the effort to build cars, modify and throw them together, the last thing anyone needs after all the blood sweat and tears is someone telling em there ride isnt right because of a silly thing like an alternator, when the rest of the deal is period correct for the build at hand (wheels ,chassis ,stance,gauges, engine,wishbones etc etc) , this is what im trying to say, you may not agree with this but its here, its there ,its everywhere mate
    I would say get upset if theres irs on the front of an A chassis, or a Ls something /6 speed and looks like boyd raped the car then fair enuf, but just an alternator, doesnt seem enuf for me to get upset about, just my opinion

26. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Contrary to popular belief compromise is not a dirty word. Everyone has to decide for themselves where to draw the line. I put a T-5 in my 34. It has a GM generator and I spent more money than I could have to keep the mech. fan. All my friends said just put an electric fan in it..... I just could not do it.

My line of compromise is most likely harsher than most here but Ryan says to spread the gospel. Someone has to keep the flame burning.

Everyone has to decide where to draw that line. I understand most won't agree with me but I'm very happy that I have a place to express my personal line that I cannot cross.

27. 117harv

117harv

tommy
    F$J
    Lurk king
    VooDoo

Thanks, i'm with you guys, it's about the looks and keeping with what the HAMB is about...see signature.

28. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Okay, genuine question.
    Which of the two below more in keeping with the spirit of this board;

a traditionally inspired on topic vehicle fitted with an alternator to power a few creature comforts which go towards it being used as a daily driver so that the owner does not have to to rely or even own an off topic vehicle.

Or;

a period perfect traditional vehicle with a generator that is kept in the garage until the weekend, whilst its owner relies on a modern off topic vehicle as a daily driver?

Before you start chucking rocks at me, I genuinely do not have an answer myself but would be interested in opinions.
    Paul

29. I would prefer the second.

30. metalshapes

metalshapes

Personally I think there is room for both.

All I'm saying is, dont try to pass of the car of your first example as the one in your second example.

If it was easy to build ( and going by the comments on this thread, live with )a truely Trad car, more people would be doing it.

I think the people that pull it off should get the recognition they deserve...