Register now to get rid of these ads!

Freeing rusted hing bolts 34 ford cab?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jydog, May 18, 2012.

1. jydog

jydog
    from Griffin

How in the world do you free up the screws that hold the doors on a highly rusted 34 pickup cab? I tried head, tried PB blaster. Whats next? Do the pins come out? they wont budge either. The doors swing but are real rough. I want to take them off and let them soak in a vat of molasses to remove the rust.

2. Dizzie

Dizzie

To get the pins out on mine, I heated the pin area and took my air chisel with a punch tip and they came right out. To get the screws out, I would try heat, but if you can't get them that way, drill through the center and run a tap or easy out through after.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I use an impact screwdriver after heating it well. If it doesn't move quickly you might need to add some PB Blaster or other rust solvent but don't allow the screw head head to strip or you're in for a fight.

[​IMG]

4. there is an older thread on welding on a socket that will hold a phillips head tip onto a air hammer attachment. you then weld a 90degree handle on the attachment. the banging of the air hammer with the turning of the handle is supposed to work wonders. You would understand it better looking up the thread than from my feeble explanation.....:eek:

5. jydog

jydog
    from Griffin

Thanks Dizzie I wasn't sure if the pins where even supposed to come out. I Was thinking they may be flaired on the end or something. If I can get the doors off hopefully the molasses will free everthing up. Never tried it before but from what I've seen it should work.

6. jydog

jydog
    from Griffin

Moparman4gzuz I'll be looking for it

7. jydog

jydog
    from Griffin

Tommy I tried the driver you are showing after heating and it actually twisted the bit

8. Make one of these...

[​IMG]

This is what Moparman4gzuz is talking about.

9. It was done by my friend SamIyam, here is the old thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6015&highlight=hinge

10. jydog

jydog
    from Griffin

Thanks guys, glad I came here before I got mad and tore it up. I'll be making one of those tools asap! That picture and link really helped.

11. jydog

jydog
    from Griffin

Thanks you guys, it worked. I took my chisel on my air hammer and welded a 1/4 bar stock on it. Hit the screws from the back with PB Blaster and every so slowly each one broke loose. I would have never got these things out without your help. Progress at last!

12. willys_truck

willys_truck

Have you tried giving it more head?

13. jydog

jydog
    from Griffin

It didn't work the first time so what makes you think more will help? Besides, I don't have much experience in that area. Maybe you could share your expertise.

shisssh.. im going to check my words more carefully before I hit that reply button. Id hate get someone excited.

14. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

The correct way to remove the Hinge Pins without Damaging the Door Frame or Pillar is with the Proper Tool, the one pictured is Sold by Bob Drake although I am sure they are available from other suppliers,the tool presses the pin out with no hammering or twisting of the the attaching surfaces

Attached Files:

15. I have one of those tools and you can break it on really tight pins. Mine, the short pin broke and I need to replace it. Not sure how I'm going to get those doors apart.

16. studedudeus

studedudeus

One additional idea would be to heat the area up and melt paraffin wax into it. This is a great way to loosen rusty bolts, should work on hinge pins, too. Just use a birthday candle or any other candle for the wax.

Sorry for the delay in posting, Just saw the thread today.

17. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I have used this tool many times with no problems, The really Tight pins should first be Heated,allowed to cool ( turns the rust to powder ) then I use penetrating oil and press the pin out.

18. willys_truck

willys_truck

ha!ha!

19. markboo

markboo

i have not tried on hing bolts but for any other bolt , screw ,nut this is the only thing [[[[that will work]]]] I have tried every way over the years ,including what has been listed, on all kinds of bolts, i met a gentlmen at pate swap meet he made 32 sheet metal parts in kansas,i ask for his advice , simple heat the part red hot then take water and spray on it till cold , i use a small spray bottle for this. then take it out with normal tools, you will not believe how easy it is on most parts,, i need to list his full name later thanks again Tom:D:D