Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Buick/family rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Danger, Feb 1, 2011.

1. csimonds

csimonds

That shot is Boss bro! I'm lovin this build! Glad to see the kids are enjoying!
    Chuck

2. 73super

73super

Wow.. just ripped the body off the frame this week on mine. Going to do a whole Caprice chassis underneath with everything updated. Hoping to turn it into a daily driver for next year.

Going to retire in about 3 years and I'd love to go out in style. Driving my '55 to work every day.

Love your ride.. it's really looking great.

3. Dr Goggles

Dr Goggles

It's none of my business ...but if that was my car I'd find someone who'd match that drivers side guard with the rest of the paint.

I love those Buicks. I'd do bad things to get a 50k miler with that sort of pat on it.

4. Danger

Danger

Man I'm lovin this Buick, took the family for a Monday cruze through the country and it was great. I'm thiking I want to bag it soon not becuse I want it lower so much, but I would like to be able to raise and lower it depending on the load I have. I never did a video after I had the exhaust done so here it is, I just went with the stock single exhust but with a larger pipe out the back and a flow master muffler, it was to big of a pain to duel it out. Ive decided to keep it oragnal and just bag and maybe paint the roof the oragnal dark green, this was a 3 tone car, with a little flake in it and then have the interior done as well. With it bagged I'll be able to raise it up and it will look like your grandfathers old Buick but also have the option of putting it down on the ground at the shows for that cool lowrider look. I want to keep the ride hight the same as it is now though. If anybody has some pointers on bagging these boats let me know, Ive found some forums.

[​IMG]

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2v_tswZ0lTI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  5. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Very cool ride.

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

I dig it!!! Sounds great too!

7. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Nice looking ride, man! Been following your posts for awhile. I bought a '55 Special 4dr this past fall. Mine's a real nice driver, 264 Nailhead w/dynaflow auto. Wish my bumpers and dagmars looked as nice. Mine are pitted and rusty in spots. Looking at doing a static lowering on mine too. Any snags I should be on the lookout for?

8. 41 C28

41 C28

Your Buick is a beauty. I have loved 55 Buick since I was a kid and it was an almost new car then. My Grandpa had one.

9. Danger

Danger

There really easy to lower, you can cut the springs or buy some shorter ones. I cut mine and it rides good, I still need new shocks though. Go slow if your cutting'em, its really tempting to cut a bunch off the front springs becuse it takes awhile to unhook and put everything back together but if you cut to much your screwed. The front is just bearly touching the bump stops and there is about 2-3 inches from bump stop to frame in the rear.

10. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

You're right! Mine didnt clear the front hub either. What I did was I went out and bought longer screws to attach the spider cap to the cap plate that's provided. Since my wheels are black I painted the cap plate black to match... otherwise you would be able to see a gap between the spider cap and the plate. worked great!
    sorry for the late reply. hope that answers your question.

11. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Thanks for the info on the springs. I appreciate the info! Still deciding whether to cut mine or bite the bullet and buy the shorter springs!

12. Hey, not trying to hi-jack the thread......but if anyone is inspired to build a car, I've got a '55 century 4-door hard top in the classifieds. Its a big project but its cheap.

13. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

That is fucking hilarious man. Its always nice to get a good laff out of no where once in awhile.

14. Danger

Danger

Been doing some work on the Buick, my neighbor restores old gas pumps and peddle cars so his shop has a paint both and he hit me with an offer I couldn&#8217;t refuse so now the Buick is getting painted. I'm going back to all the original colors. Forest green/Nile Green/ Mint Green. They were a spring color for 56. I'm looking at doing a little lace on the roof to give it a little custom look. I'll be doing it in sections and the top is first, primed and ready to paint will have the forest green on next week so stay tuned.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>

15. Dman

Dman

Thanks for the update. It is looking good.

16. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Looking good, man!!!!

17. 73super

73super

How well do those swamp coolers really work? They aren't cheap.. I see them selling for around $350. For around $700 I can get a complete AC system installed (tho' not old school). Are they very effective? Would go that route if so.

thx.

18. Danger

Danger

they dont work anything like a AC unit, its more just for looks. Tell you the truth ive never tried useing it.

19. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Looking good! Really like it!

20. MrEarl

MrEarl

LOOKIN GOOD, Luke. Fill us in on what type primer, seal, top coat you using. Can't wait too see her finished. Subscribed!!!

21. Danger

Danger

Should have her in primer tomorrow, had to take alot of the car to metal. As you can see most of the trim is off and I figure I will polish it all and fix some of the bad stuff. Anybody running droped uprights on there Buicks? Im thinking of going this route.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DHi Luke.Great find.Some friends of my family had one,and the ride was like floating on a cloud.Loved the picture of the kids.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

23. Hey, that sure is a great find!! I have a "55 Century 4dr hardtop too! Yours even has the exact same green and white interior as mine only difference is that mine came all yellow with a white top.
    I'm planning on going basically the same route with mine so this gives me lots of inspiration!
    I like how yours sits, how much did you cut off the springs front and rear??

24. Danger

Danger

I didnt have the coils in when I took the previous pics, was seeing how low it would go if I bagged it. I now have the coils in and there is still some room to cut if I wanted but she rides nice and sits good.

Finally have her painted, I am going to repaint the roof this week, same color but more gloss and bigger metalic. Also going to paint the wheel wells black and some other small things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. love it! This is one of the cars on my to own list.

26. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

looking good, love the tri-tone scheme.

27. Danger

Danger

Its painted the original colors WXY is the paint code. They were a spring color. They came out with differnt colors in spring of 56 to sell off the 55's.

28. Wow - looks like a totally different car! You've got yourself a great looking cruiser - nice work!

29. O'Doyle

O'Doyle

The Buick is looking awesome mate.
    I love the colour combo.
    Keep up the great job there man.

O'Doyle

30. speedracer8

speedracer8
    from Alb., NM

Sweet! Just bought a 55 Century myself. Everything is there and it runs. I too plan on pulling engine and trans to reseal cause it has been sitting 10 years. I want to install disc brakes on front and air bag it. Made a new post asking peps what spindles and or hubs might fit it for the disc converstion. There are 55 Chevy conversions but I do not think it is the same as a Buick. Hope someone will let me know.