Register now to get rid of these ads!

"other" steering boxes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46international, Sep 13, 2012.

1. I have a 40-41 Chevy half ton truck gear for my T. Mounts easy and looks nice. Even less bulk then a f1 gear. My .02.

2. silversink

silversink

Been driving my 48 Int. kb1 for 35 years with one of those weak boxes. If you keep them lubed and adjusted they are a good box that fits most anywhere you want to put them.

3. There's a "tech" in the current streetrodder on different columns/boxes

4. NealinCA

NealinCA

I like the '37 Hudson boxes...but they aren't usually the low price leader...

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The ross is a pretty distinctive looking box, fits well, and was a popular alternative to the ford box dating back to the dry lakes days. Alot of them in old race cars. I am seriously thinking about one, primarily for the period look, and the fact that its a box that you rarely see used anymore. If there is anyone out there running on in a light (1900-2100lb) car, I'd like to hear what you have to say, pro or con. Benno, I have a late fifties chevy PU box on hand, slated for a future project, but not for this one, too new.

6. Falcongeorge, sorry I did not get to post up the photos last night (i had to work on some other things)
    the Ross box in my international is the same as the one in the photo in post #13.

7. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I just finished converting our F100 box steering shaft to run either a Ford splined end or a GM splined end in our 29 coupe. I picked up an Oldsmobile deep dish wheel I wanted to run and learned that yes.... Ford and GM wheels don't crossover...

The F100 box seems pretty solid and easy to steer.

RustyNCA

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No problem, I have pm's I still need to answer from a week ago.:eek: It was actually the cast in mounting flange I wanted to see. Is it a three bolt deal with the sector shaft passing though the middle?

9. The photos below are from Steve Lang. Steve is a great fan of these steering boxes and has used one on his Willys build (there's a build thread elsewhere on The HAMB) in preference to a Vega.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  10. willymakeit

willymakeit

Just when I had about decided to cowl steer with a F150 box, here comes more options. At least I have better chances in the salvage yard. Theres one about 30 mi. from me that has farm equipment I can look at for ideas.
    Thanks for the new thread.

11. nali

nali

Not the steering box, but this is a power steering pump from a 1968 Javelin AMC, IIRC.
    Different than the GM everybody use.

[​IMG]

12. marioD

marioD

Excellent, thank you.
    i like the look and i guess it won't be too hard to get one 'over here'....

Mario

13. nali

nali

This is a piece of art :p

14. oldspwr

oldspwr

Has anyone ever used a 58-64 Impala Saginaw box for cross steering? I have two boxes from '64 Impala power steering cars (still a manual box but they used slave cylinder assist...) They are 20:1 ratio and seem to fit with my Y block... I know they have to be reversed but there are a few good threads on here on how to reverse them...

[​IMG]

15. Hotwhilz

Hotwhilz
    from France

Samr thing I did on the 38 I'm building, the reason I used it is that I saved a 58 Gm column and shaft from a previous power steering upgrade.
    fits in the 34 rails, just had to reshaped the pitman arm to fit my bill!

As far as steering wheel, I'm going for a 4 spoke indy type also!

16. classic gary

classic gary

525 box as cross steering has to be reversed? It's just a larger version of a vega box. Or are you meaning the pitman arm has to be removed and reinstalled to the front.

17. oldspwr

oldspwr

Actually the box has to be 'reversed' like they did in this thread...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730818

18. PackardV8

PackardV8

Back to Ross boxes - Studebaker used them on cars and trucks and the first mod on any performance Stude build is to get rid of the Ross box; they're pretty much cheap junk. I wouldn't install one like Stude used if it were NOS and free.

First problem occurs when the output shaft wears the seal and all the heavy oil leaks out. Then the box wears really fast. Most I find have been filled with grease because oil wouldn't stay in there.

The Saginaw recirculating ball boxes were much, much better. Studebaker finally went back to them on the last of the '60s Larks.

jack vines

19. I have to agree, the Ross box in my international is bad, But I think they also made some with bearing mounted "studs" that ingage with the worm shaft, they may be better as far as steering effert goes.
    The one think I have to say is get the CORRECT oil in the box much better than just grease. so make a new bushing for the sector shaft and install a new seal.

20. Oldblueoval gave me a couple of Jeep manual boxes (79-81)that apparently were take offs for power steering conversions. We used one for cross steering on a recent roadster build and it steers so well that we are now using the other one on a A sedan project.

21. willymakeit

willymakeit

I used a 65 Impala box to cross steer my 56 F100. Don't know if they were different before or not.

22. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

I'm going to be getting into this part of the build soon. But I want to keep my headlight switch right where it is in the stock wheel. Am I stuck using the a box???

23. classic gary

classic gary

i dont think so, cut the shaft, double D it, u-joint it to your desired box.......

24. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I'm using a 59 Chevy 1/2 ton box and column, in my 34 Chevy Master coupe. The 57 - 59 Chevy / GMC boxes and columns are all the same. 55 - 56 1/2 tons have the same steering box, but with a longer column. I'll be using a 59 Impala steering wheel.

25. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I'm using a 46 ford pickup box

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. PackardV8

PackardV8

Are '55-59 pickup steering boxes worth anything? I know a couple which will be going to scrap soon. They'd be a PITA to ship.

jack vines

27. Im running a 37 Hudson box on my A, its a Gemmer box and they work great but the downside is they are getting very hard to come by and are probably not for a budget build if you can't do the mods by yourself.

28. I know that will adapt the column to a later box; but how does that address the horn rod and light switch?

29. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Thanks Rich, guess I could have told them it was a model A, most people dont know how thier headlamp switch works....

30. classic gary

classic gary

True, me included, but, can't you cut the column/shaft, cutting the assembly as long as you can, then cut the column tube/housing/rods a little shorter so everything is the same only shorter, then double d the shaft for the rag or u-joint to the steering box.