Register now to get rid of these ads!

port a wall of fake wide white walls

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badss62, Sep 17, 2012.

1. badss62

badss62

Anyone ever used port a walls on a radial tire? Pics? Thanks

2. They look hideous. The only guys that say they dont are the ones that have pottywhipes on their cars.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do a search here - lots of info posted. port-a-walls do not make up for real whitewalls.

4. petiesrods

petiesrods

Port-a-walls on radials here. Tire size vs wheel size determine fit on radials. Most people don't notice. Not good for much speed either.

Attached Files:

5. civicegb16

civicegb16

ive went through quite a few on my impala and they squeak constantly.
    after a couple hundred miles they would rip and come apart. i gave up running them on radials.

6. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

I've had good luck with them and they are as traditional as it gets - I ran a set back in the 50's on my Fleetline. Get the narrower ones so that the radial bulge isn't causing them to flex as much.

I ran a set on my truck for 5 years, almost no one ever noticed they were'nt real unless I told them, and then most of them smiled and said ..."I remember those! That's cool..." Here's a pic of the truck with the porta-walls:

Attached Files:

7. always wondered, how do you attach them to the tire? i think there is a lip that goes between the rim and tire, but, what keeps them stuck to the tire?

8. robber

robber

Nothing... that seems to be the problem with them. I have never seen a port a wall that didn't separate from the tire after you drove them for a short time. They are a cheap substitute for the real thing. I wish they did work... wide whites are pricey now days.

9. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Their shape keeps them (somewhat) against the tire. If your wheels are cut they bulge and they flap. Plus they rub your wheels and at highway speeds they tear! I've had it happen several times on the way to a show out of state. BOOM! Real loud and the half a whitewall and it looks hideous.

I actually drive my car so I need radials, so I'm gonna try painting mine before I actually get a REAL set of whites. Mine I only found one old greybeard who had heard of em let alone attempt to put em on. And he was an hour away from where my car was stored!

I ran them because I'm cheap and my car was stored outside and a slashed $35 tire wasn't going to kill me! But if you drive the car at all, I'm sorry, they're ridiculous. I have another set, sitting collecting dust. I'd rather not have them on my car any more. It's like dying your hair an awesome color and then it grows out and looks like shit and you can't stand it!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Get on you tube there are several videos about them.

11. 62rebel

62rebel

my '51 has one on it.... it came with the car, the tire still holds air, and i'm nowhere near driving it, so it can stay.... for now.... i DO have a set, but they're for 14" tires and too small for 15" wheels. i store them lying as flat as possible, and will more than likely never use them...... but i have them, whatever the case!

12. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

crappy cell pic...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]