Register now to get rid of these ads!

I bought a 1961 Cadillac Eldorado GM factory custom off craigslist

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Sep 17, 2012.

1. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

WHoah! You really are a pimp now! That thing rules! Right place at the right time man, congrats!

2. Hey Nads... "What a find"! I agree with Moriarity but that shouldn't stop you from driving it until you can swing the full resto.

3. Maybe it's just the lack of taillight and lack of the trim on top that gives an illusion, then. They don't look to be a lot bigger, a couple inches maybe. I used to have a set lopped off a '61 here someplace, if I run across them I'll measure one.

That is a nice find in any case, sure beats the stuff I keep finding.

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Funny thing is, I was the only one who went to see the car, go figure.

5. JayD

JayD

The article that you linked to, said that the car originally sat on wire. When you gonna sell the farm and buy some of those?

Great find congrats! Most of these stories are urban legends.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  6. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

What a great find. Congrats!

7. froghawk

froghawk

What an amazing find! Congratulations! So does this mean you're not looking for a flattop '61 anymore?:D

I'm really struck by the difference in the front end design. Guess it's just an optical illusion but it looks like it has more front overhang than the typical '61. While the front fenders appear to be stock the raised-center hood and the grill design seem to be predictive of the '63-'64 design, and the added visual bulk of these pieces might contribute to the illusion of more front overhang.

I agree that the lack of the stainless trim around the fins might be making them look larger or taller.

[​IMG]

8. squirrel

squirrel

it's not THAT hard...just do a "print screen" open a photo editing program and paste as a new image, crop and there you go.

Attached Files:

9. Interesting!

Kinda done on the same scheme of things as the Pontiac X-400's of the early to mid 60's.

Nice find.

10. Nads,
    I should be doing something else, but I keep going back over your pics, the more you look at it the better it looks.

You have got to cruise by here and pick me up on your way to Vegas, we have got to get our picture took with that car in front of Cesare's Palace or Velagio or something.

They'll think that we are made men.

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

That is just SOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool. Restore it!!!!! Gary

12. Very cool car!
    While looking for info on the car I ran across a couple of Google results that show that the previous owner knew what the car was, a one of two built by GM and sold to Walter Hagen and Bing Crosby. He appeared to be asking much more for the car than "what a used Honda would sell for". Even at that price the car was undervalued, given the rarity and history.
    Do you have any idea what the letters EHKMS on the data tag mean?

~Alden

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Nice score Nads, I'm seven shades of jealous. Those leather buckets and rear seat look great. I'm gonna go stare at my car now for a couple hours.

14. Torchie

Torchie

My very well have belonged to Walter Hagen as he lived in Traverse City. I believe that he passed away there as well. He used to hold office hours at a bar called little Bo's. The place is still there. This would have been something that he would have driven. Like many of the sports celebrities of the 20's and 30's, He lived life large. I take it from the pics that the car is no longer in Michigan.

15. very cool!somehow i feel like it found you not the other way around!

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

Checked it out... just as I suspected, with the top up it's nowhere near as striking as when the parade boot is on.

17. 65Riviera

65Riviera

Wow, thanx you made my Monday!!!

18. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Incredible find! I'd love to have it.

19. CoryN

CoryN

Very Nice. Is the other one that was made accounted for?

20. Yes, I was thinking the same thing.
    Truly a unique experience, that 'whoa" is this really what I think it feeling has got to be a rush

21. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Very sharp caddy. I worked in Detroit in the early 80's (Ryan & 6 area) and every once in a while I would see a early 60's Caddy with faded paint drive by that had the fins shaved off, very unique and strange car.

22. Apenaut

Apenaut

Normally I'd say keep it and have fun with it. But you might have to Barrett-Jackson this one. There's no telling what the right person might pay for this car. Use the cash to buy six cars!

23. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I still cant get over you passed up a used honda for that.
    NOT REALLY!!!!!!!!
    That truly is the score of a lifetime. Get some Spanish Wraparound sunglasses and with the top down, you'll be the coolest dude on the whole road, even if its I-40.

24. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Great buy! Let's see pictures of the balls!

You're only here for a short visit. Don't hurry, don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.
    Walter Hagen

Make the hard ones look easy and the easy ones look hard.
    Walter Hagen

My dear, did you ever stop to think what a wonderful bunker you would make?
    Walter Hagen

It is the addition of strangeness to beauty that constitutes the romantic character in art.
    Walter Hagen

There is no tragedy in missing a putt, no matter how short. All have erred in this respect.
    Walter Hagen

No one remembers who came in second.
    Walter Hagen

25. Congratulation's Nadeem, looks great!

26. Flat black, red wheels, spider webs, skulls. Done.

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A wonderful find.

28. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sure that you're already on top of this, but make sure you're insured for all of that one-off, irreplaceable trim and body work before you take it on the road.

29. NOAH324

NOAH324

MUTHAFUCKA!
    Nice score Nadeem - those tailfins are tits.