Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 transmission question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by djmahle, Jul 22, 2012.

1. djmahle

djmahle
    from Minnesota

I am looking for a T5 to go behind my 50 Ford flathead. I can see that I should get one from an S10. I have looked at a lot of pictures and read all of the internet info I can find but am wondering if some of the early T5's came with a non removable bellhousing sort of like a Turbo 350 auto trans. Any help and or info greatly appreciated.

2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

search T-5 tech

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

All the early t5's I have had or seen did not have the intregal bell housing. I think they started doing that in the 90's.

4. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

The '85-'92 S-10 T-5's have the removable bell housing. I'm running an S-10 T-5 behind my '49 Merc Flattie and I love it. If you want to push the "easy button" Cornhuskers sells a complete bolt-in kit that takes all the hassles away.

5. flthd31

flthd31

Here are a few links to get you started.

This very comprehensive page has some links incorporated at the end also:
    http://www.flatheadv8.org/ernie/ernie-t5.htm

This is a chart showing ratios based on tag number:
    http://www.inliners.org/Jack/t5_page.html

This last link is to a page with more links. It's from Vanpelt sales:
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/t5_fivespeed.htm

One more tip for a newbie on searching. You might have better luck searching for info using Gooogle and throw the word "hamb" in there.

6. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Even the 2011 T-5 don't have an integral bellhousing, they all unbolt and they all use the same trans to bellhousing bolt pattern after 1993.

7. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

The T5 was used from '83-'93 and then some.The NV1500 was used in the S10's starting about the mid '90's. It does have the intergral bellhousing. I don't know of any adapters that are available for this so you would be on your own...

8. sammy69

sammy69
    from Tucson AZ

The 5 speeds with the integral bellhousing are not T-5s. I don't think they are a good choice for a hot rod build.

9. Flathead1928

Flathead1928

How have you been making out on this? Did you go ahead with it .I am looking to put a T5 From an 87 S10 on a 49 flathead

10. The older S-10 5 speed with the integral bellhousing is an Isuzu transmission, different animal from the T-5 and if memory serves me right only used on 4 cylinder S-10's.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The integral bellhousing 5 speed trans was used (also) on 4.3 V6 in S-10/S-15 and full size C1500 pickups. I have two of them.......sort of inherited them........they are available..cheeeep:)

I have seen them referred to as Getrag and NV3500...in the V6 versions.
    Not sure what is the actual correct name. I believe there are two different gear set ratios, with a low, and ever lower, 1st gear.

Ray

12. gotmark73

gotmark73

I have in intergal bell housing 5 speed, it came in a Ford Ranger. I believe it is a Mitsubishi trans. I bought the 4 cyl and the trans was included, seems useless for hotrod applications.

13. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

That is the M5R2 or the M0R2 totally different than the T-5. The T-5 was made by Borg-Warner or Tremmec depending on years.

14. The Ranger 5 Speeds were a MAZDA trans (not Mitsubishi), model M5OD-R1. The M5R2 was used behind V-8's in F150's. Never heard of an M0R2

15. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Yep your correct, thats what early morning posting will get me, M5R2 is the correct, and M5OD-R1 is in the ranger, either way neither are T-5's