Register now to get rid of these ads!

advice on A & B bangers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by committed, Sep 15, 2012.

1. committed

committed

Hello,
    I'm looking for some advice on the model A and B engines. I've read a lot of articles about bangers on here, the fordbarn and searched the web for hours. It's too much info that I really need some help to take some decisions. I don't want a race engine, I just want the car to be more "traffic friendly" here in Belgium.

My car is a stock '29 Model A coupe. First I wanted to do what the majority would do, put a flathead V8 in it. But it was too much trouble and I didn't want to end up with the car in pieces and put in boxes. So that plan is on hold for now and started learning more about hopping up the banger. I've seen nice bangers, so now I want one too! I know it's not cheap, otherwise I would drive a euro car.

The plan is to buy another engine, hop it up and change the original engine for it. I found a model B engine for sale for not too much money, but what is the difference between the 2 engines? Can it bolt right in on my stock frame? Does it need other motormounts? Or should I better go for a Model A engine? I found one too with more work to it.

I don't want an OHV conversion, since it's too expensive. I thought about a high compression head, change to downdraft carbs (I love the look)...But what is a good setup and what is needed to get it running good?
    First I wanted to get a Weber carb, but I saw some cool dual setups. I read somewhere that it's better to get 2 Stromberg 81's if I want 2 carbs, but what about the replacement Holley 92 carbs? Or still stay with one carb?
    Which high compression head is the best option for what I want? What are the differences?
    Some people change the camshaft. Is this necessary? What options are there?
    Are there other necessary changes that need to be done? Maybe another transmission? Or can I keep the original one?

Any advice would be helpfull and appreciated.

2. Although not entirely stock you would probably get a better response to this on fordbarn.com. Try the archives there and at ahooga.com as this topic has been covered several times. I am currently running a Model B engine in my '31 RDPU and it is an easy conversion. The easy way is to run the Model A transmission. Use the Model A flywheel housing. Cut off the back of the Model B pan since it extended under the flywheel in the Model B installation. The front mounting area of the A and B are the same. Remember that the timing cover must match the distributor for correct timing (A cover and A distributor, B cover and B distributor).

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  3. woodypecker

woodypecker

You should look at either Macs or Snyders on line catalog. They sell things that a lot of people do. Common modifacation would be 2 barrel carb exhaust header and high compression head. If you are going to change to a V8 later you might limit your changes to a few items. If it was me I would buy the B engine.

4. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

A bigger carb and more compression will give you a noticeable increase in power and driveability. A single carb is the simplest way, do not bother with an 81 as it is quite small, a single 97 or 94 is better. Dual carbs do look cool but linkage and tuning is more difficult. I recommend the Snyder head. I ran a 6:1 Winfield for a long time and a 7.4:1 Cyclone earlier on a different car, both ran well but are more difficult to find.

5. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

Simple bolt on parts if yours is in good shape to start out with will make a world of difference...

A High Compression Head, Single 2bbl Intake with 94 or 97, High Speed Ignition, and a Lightened Flywheel are easy and relatively inexpensive.

Like this... (It could be for sale)
    [​IMG]