Register now to get rid of these ads!

Take me to school: 292 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Have one in the '59 Ranchero I just picked up for my 12 year old, and about the only thing I'm really wanting to do with it is add a mild cam and put a later model 5 speed behind it.

However, I'd still like to know just about anything I can about this motor.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Cool that you picked it up. I can't stand '59 Ford cars but that Ranchero made me rethink. Hope you both get some great memories out of it.

Y-blocks definitely have their fans and I'm one. Sturdy motors and can make fair power. They have a reputation for poor oiling of the rockers and shafts. That's primarily from crappy maintenance like no regular oil changes and the formulation of the oils back then, lots of sludge build up. Stay away from dual diaphram distributors 56 and earlier. The small Holley 4 barrel "teapots" have a rep for causing fires. I believe the later truck motors have forged cranks. Street Rodder did a rebuild series on one awhile back. Don't think I have the first article but could send you copies of the rest if you want. mctim64 here is a guru on these engines. He's got a LSR f-100, fed, and model A all with y blocks. Check out his threads. Good stuff.

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

4. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Tough engines for sure. I raced one "back in the day", see my avatar. Oiling problems sometimes on the valve train. Used to see a lot of them with extra oil lines routed to the valve covers.
    Some 312 heads will make that thing go, but they're had to find.
    Tom

5. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Along w/mctim64 you can check out ford-y-block.com and Yblocksforever.com. Both great sources for yblock info.

6. Without the auxillary oil lines, they had low oil pressure. The plumbing jobs I've seen were contained within the valve covers and most had a homegrown look to them... but they worked.

They are nice running engines and loads of them were put in big trucks. Even the 272 was a good engine.

Bob

7. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

If you're thinking of only limited modifications, forget the "mild cam". Without signifacant other changes, the cam will be a detriment to drivability. All hot rod cams do is push the torque and horsepower peaks further up in the R.P.M range. That means you have to drive it harder to get the same effect. Concentrate on some of the issues mentioned here: Pull the rocker covers and make sure it's oiling the top side, lash the valves, find & install a '57 distributor, install a 4 bbl if it doesn't have one then drive it.

8. 46stude

46stude

I used to have several Y blocks. Good reliable motors.
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet:

They have an awesome, unique sound with a dual exhaust.

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

If this it the orginal motor it will have good heads 57-59 72cc 1.92 intake valves and 8.8 compression. As far as upgrades Keep the cam mild under 215 @ .50 they are not high RPM screamers you can not remove the lifters from the top. Find a old motors manual before replaceing the cam. A 57 4 barrel or after market intake, 60s 292 had tubelar push rods a good upgrade.

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The best info you can get from this thread is to contact Tim McMaster.

He has the oiling issues figured out with a modification he does that fully pressurizes the rockers (without any tubes internally or externally) and eliminates the problem.

He built my Y Block, (see video :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTdmD0sQbx4&list=UUzTwN0kYLfaw0Otd8byf8UA&index=94&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjhkdjN4RSs&list=UUzTwN0kYLfaw0Otd8byf8UA&index=11&feature=plcp

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  11. Keep in mind that if you do want to change the cam, that the lifters go in from the bottom,not down from the top like so many other engines.

12. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Lots of great information and ideas here and I am thankful for the collection of what you've guys have shown me. I am going to check them all out, but have a couple of questions about these. I'm sure others will follow.

Essentially, I don't want to kill performance, as if I change to the 5 speed I'm afraid I'd actually need to move the peak torque (I think) further down the powerband in order to maintain a decent 'pull' at highway speeds. Please correct me if I'm wrong in that - when it comes to some things I know enough to get myself into trouble.

However, I guess it leads my main idea for the cam and also into the next comment. A power gain would be a bonus, but the main thing we're wanting is the lopey rumble at idle. With what 46stude said, it makes me wonder what a dual exhausted 292 is going to sound like before I get there!?!?!?

Also, why the 57 Distributor versus the stock 59?

13. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Listen to the video I posted of Tim running in my Y Block. It is a 292 block with a 312 crank with big valve 312 ECZ-G heads with larger valves (2.02 Intake and 1.6 Exhaust) installed and mild porting. It ends up as 309 cubic inches.

The cam is .475 lift (with 1.43 rockers) 280* Duration- 110* lobe center.

You can see on the video that it has a nice lope and the sound is like music. :)

15. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Oh I did listen to them both, and they sounded amazing!

My question though is about the first one video of what I think was the 312. I'm guessing it has a bit of modifications to it.

I grew up knowing Chevy's and their sound, and know that they don't sound 'great' without a cam to give the lopey idle.

As for the 292 in the Ranchero, I'm really only wanting to get the 'sound' of a great motor - one that those who 'know' these motors would instantly recognize - but I'm not wanting to modify the crap out of it because we're still hoping (valiantly, I might add) for a bit of fuel economy. I'm hoping the 5 speed will give us that, as I'm hoping he'll have this Ranchero for the rest of his life, and something with horrible fuel economy will definitely cause some ill feelings about it. I've been there, and it's half the reason I sold my first car, which I still regret to this very day.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me a Y block doesn't need a cam and "lopey" idle to sound great. What it does need is dual glass packs and pipes all the way out to the rear bumper. It isn't your Chevy small block look at me hot rod sound but more of a deep rumble of authority that you get with good pipes on a Y block. I heard one yesterday in a 33/34 Ford coupe that sounded fantastic but wasn't annoying by being loud as it rumbled through the car show.

17. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

See, this is more of an answer to what I'm looking for in this motor.

18. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

My comment about the '57 distributor was in error. The fact that your engine is a '59 failed to register-it should already have the good distributor. Most Y-Block discussions seem to focus on pre '57 engines which had the awful loadamatic distributors. Sorry 'bout that.

19. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

No worries. Just trying to make sure about everything before I get myself into it too deep. However, I'm already in over my head to a degree. LOL

20. sunbeam

sunbeam

You can help the cam a little by finding a set of 56 or 57 rockers they were 1.53 instead of 1.43.

21. jimvette59

jimvette59

YEP, installed many a out side copper tubing through the valve covers to the rockers for oil.

22. 46stude

46stude

Honestly, I would leave the motor alone if it starts & runs in its current condition. Don't worry about cam swaps- get some duals on, a good carb/intake, & run it. Concentrate on the body & paint work, the brakes, the interior, & the rolling stock.

Finned aluminum goodies will make the motor shine when y'all pop the hood.

23. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

At this point, I don't know if it runs or not. I tried to spin it over by grabbing the fan and turning it and the fan wound up popping loose and spinning under the belt tension, so it's really all academic at this point. The oil was black, but not too dirty or look milky in any way. They said it had been inside a barn for the last 20 years, and by the looks of it, I'd have to agree. Not perfect, but not weathered either.

24. doctor chip

doctor chip
    from Delevan NY

mine is basically stock with dual cherry bombs and pipes through bumpers -sounds great especially when you punch it down into second. I also have won in "muffler rapping " contest . Sound is as characteristic as a harley's.

25. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Here's another thought/question - is this thing 6v or 12v?

26. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Should be a 12V generator.

I have a Y in my 64 F100 and I am a believer now. It's a strong running engine that makes good power down low and sounds good. Mine had the goofy cross over but now it's duals 2.5 pipe into generic Thrush Flowmasters and dumped under the bed. It's a 2bbl but has a 4bbl adapter with an Edelbrock carb. It would have been just enough power to get me in trouble at 16 years old ha ha.

27. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Well, the back up plan is to drop in a 4 cylinder and 5 speed out of a Ranger/Mazda pickup if the 292 is too deeply gone for our modest budget. I know of a hard rollover that could be had cheaply enough to scrap the body for the price of the motor/trans.

Rest assured though - no way I'd ever part with the original motor and trans out of this truck and it'd be plugged up and sit on a dolly in the back of the shop. But, right now, that is a worst case scenario.

Glad it's supposed to be 12v as that saves another entire headache of having to convert from 6v.

28. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

When did they do away with the front crossover pipe between the manifolds? Or is this motor pictured possibly a 312?

29. OneBad56

OneBad56

Especially with "smitty's" , no other sound like them.

30. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

The motor pictured is in a '59 truck and I'm not sure whether it is original or not. I've seen some 292s with the front crossover between the manifolds and what are supposedly some without. I'm just trying to figure out what I've got here.

I'm looking forward to finally getting it home to see if we can get it running again!