Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello, new guy here

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Envirev, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Envirev

Envirev

I bought a 1963 Oldsmobile Dynamic Holiday a couple weeks ago from a junk yard, it had been sitting for quite some time but is very solid. After changing the points, gapping them (wouldn't start off factory setting), a new battery and hooking up an auxiliary fuel pump and tubing to a gas can it fired right up. I didn't have the keys for it but there's a good little place down the road from me that made the ignition key and trunk key off the code on the tumblers for 22 dollars, total. Fast forward a few days and now it runs on it own, no crossing wires or extra gas cans but after losing 4 gallons of premium overnight to the grass gods I realized I have a couple of leaks in my fuel tank. I am going to repair my tank but I'd like to know if anyone has any sources for a new/used tank for my car. I've considered an after market fuel cell but would like to keep it closer to stock, I've looked in the standard places one might normally find a tank- Hemmings, Summit, Fusick and the tank specialty sites but with no luck. I also am not looking to spend 300 dollars to have a good tank shipped from down south, just hoping there's an avenue I haven't tried.

Any suggestions are appreciated, I'm glad I found the H.A.M.B

2. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Welcome to the H.A.M.B.! I would drop it, flush it with water, put a few feet of chain it there and shake the piss out of it and rinse with water, repeat until no more rust is coming out. Then just weld (MAKE SURE you do not smell ANY fumes in the tank still!!!!) in a small patch here and there. Then water test for leaks, once you are good, drain all the water and dump a bottle or two of rubbing alcohol in it and shake it all around this will mix with the water and then evaporate it out of there (same trick gets water out of ears). Then by some "tank coat" from POR-15 to seal the inside, hit the outside with regular POR-15 (really good stuff!!!) and viola! A new tank! P.S. if there are fumes present when you start to weld you WILL go boom! So rinse SEVERAL times when de-rusting the inside of the tank. Good luck, Steve