Register now to get rid of these ads!

Manual or automatic for a Nailhead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by broderchamp, Sep 15, 2012.

1. broderchamp

broderchamp

I'm going to put a 65 Nailhead in my model A and I have a NWC T-5. The motor comes with an automatic. Which of the two tranmissions would be a better way to go.

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Probably a lot more trouble but three pedals is the way to go.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ultimately up to you, but I'd also go the 3-pedal route. There's just something about shifting through the gears as opposed to blandly sitting behind a steering wheel that really turns me on!

4. '37 Buick floor shift would be the ticket and very traditional or a Lasalle. Yea, no OD but what the hell we did not have it back in the day.

5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The T5 has more gears than the automatic, is more fun to drive, and better for you economically..

I don't see any reason why you'd want an automatic. :)

6. desotot

desotot

hmmm, a model A What size shoes do you wear?

7. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

The only reason to NOT install the manual is the $1,100 or so to buy the trans adapter, flywheel, clutch assembly, clutch fork, and pilot bushing. Bob Bendtsten (sp?) has high quality kits to lighten your wallet and get you a stick shift kit that is ready to install. He is at 763 767 4480 in Wisconsin if I remember correctly.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

also can be found at www.transmissionadapters.com .........Makes good stuff. Quality is seldom cheap.

Ray

9. That's what I'm putting behind my Naily

10. 39 Ford

39 Ford

The Buick may have to much torque for the T-5 especally if you run big tires and do some burnouts in a heavier car.

11. striper

striper

Lucky mine are only size 9s. If I'm doing any serious driving I always wear Chucks. No room for boots. (Chanelling doesn't help either)

Back to the original question...more trouble to fit a 4 or 5 speed, but I wouldn't change a thing.

Pete

12. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As for manual or automatic......no one else's opinion matters one whit!

It's YOU that has to be satisfied with the outcome........do what pleases you!

Ray

14. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

How much traffic do you run into? How often will you drive it? Traffic conditions in your area? I used to drive sticks, but in LA County, traffic is so bad, I now have automatics. As an added plus, my wife can drive my cars now in a pinch.

15. I like too shift gears too. Go for the manual. A T-5 will hold up to a lot, don't worry about it, Model A is not a heavy car. ;)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012