Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Dodge 413 Engine - Tell me about them...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Sep 15, 2012.

1. George

George

'59, '58 was the 392 Hemi.

2. The 413 truck/motor home heads used completely different exhaust ports than the stadard bb mopar. Fortuately, I cut header flanges for both styles (shameless plug) :D

3. 1OFNONE

1OFNONE
    from Nebraska

If you can find an industrial 413 block they have been proven time and time again having more than enough meat to be bored 80-110 over to match a stock bore 426 or then out to a stock bore 440 for cheaper more readily available piston selection, yet have the extra ribbing for the mains when making big power.
    I have one of these that is a warranty block that has no numbers or anything that would be killer for a Max Wedge resto.

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I had a '63 Chrysler New Yorker Salon with the 413. Rated at 340 hp with 470 lbs-ft of torque!

5. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

It's amazing you saw a new 58 Imperial with a 413 when 58 Imperials came with 392 Hemi's...

6. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

413 was for big heavy cars, so loose 1000 lbs in a lighter car and you got some serious low end torque at low rpm to move it around. Cost of parts can be higher and harder to find, but once rebuilt it will last forever. If it were me I'd go with a 440 instead. Easy to find, cheap and just as strong with much more potential.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

413 pistons are hard to get, unless you go to a ross, or something similar.

8. storm king

storm king

Mentioned before here, I think, but the 413 was the original "Max Wedge" in '62. They are torque monsters, rev well with the good heads (6500 no problem)
    Someone mentioned "not the prettiest engine". I've heard that before from Chevy guys. Whatever. I think they look like an engine. One that has it's distributor in the right place. I never understood GM's placement of the distributor in the back of the engine, where it's hard to get to compared to a Ford or BB Mopar. Especially since back in the day, when we used points, GM placed the distributor weights up high, and one spring would lose tension before the other and wobble, oblonging the bushings, and it would be impossible to set the timing accurately. Mopar and ford put their weights down low so they didn't have that problem. I've seen GM distributors get that way with as little as 30K on them.
    Anyway, its an excellent engine, tough as nails, parts readily available, etc. And, as an old outlaw biker buddy of mine used to say, "I love big block Mopars, they sound like a whole herd of Harley's"...( I put a 413 and pushbotton torqueflite in his '53 Ford p/u).

9. RWENUTS

RWENUTS
    from Nanaimo BC

You forgot the RB 383 in 1959!!

10. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

From the late 60's to the mid 70's, Ive owned R/RB/ and Hemi cars..The ONLY negative I can say about them was their weight and physical dimensions.. Believe the Hemi (426) was a little over 800 lbs, with the other BB's a bit under that..
    Mother Mopar!!!

11. murfman

murfman

And you both forgot the LB 350 :)

12. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hey hey 413 is a killer mill, all forged goodies from the factory , early 60s 413 s dominated the race tracks , i pulled one from a 62 imperial and it ran in my 36 buick like a raped ape with 342 gears...a blast to drive..

13. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

The 413 in my big ass wagon is tired but moves it down the road plenty well. I enjoy driving it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. RWENUTS

RWENUTS
    from Nanaimo BC

So true. 1958. With the poly type head!!

15. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

Back in 1971 Mom bough a 62 newport moredoor($175.00) that had the 413 4 bbl & it beat my friends 70 351 Mustang(along w/a bunch of other victims)).He was pi$$ed so he put some headers,bigger carb,posi rear 3.90 gears & we went @ it again.I smoked him again.It was a great car power it up in low ge em smokin punch 2nd,then 3rd & keep smokin.
    It finally broke the ring gear & he pinion yoke.But it was fun while it lasted.
    I think it had a Carter AFB on it & I already knew how to teek em alittle from my 64 Goat.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I think you guys have really inspired my son inlaw and hey I got a respect for these engines myself now, since I knew nothing much about them before.

Boy, talking Mopar engines sure brings out the passion which is great and to read about all the different opinions and experiences of years gone by.

If I see one around at a fair price I could even be tempted to keep it in store for the right project.

What are the tranny ofchoice to run with these engines?
    I see mostly that the push button auto's are spoken about here...

17. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

Man, this thread brings back memories. My dad had a '60 Chrysler New Yorker (4 door hardtop) with a 413. Even had factory swivel bucket seats. I was a teenager and drove it every chance I got. What a sleeper!

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

413 was one of the first of the Chrysler B and RB engines. This series of engines was made from 1958 to 1978.

The 413 was the biggest one they made at first. It was standard equipment in Chrysler New Yorker and Imperial.

Later they enlarged it to 426 and finally 440 cu in.

The 413 is a stout motor. Lots of them were used in hot rods.Compared to later models they have rather small port heads, slightly smaller displacement, and the crankshaft flange is made for nuts and bolts. Starting about 1962 Chrysler redesigned their engines with the crankshaft flange closer to the block, with bolts threaded into the crankshaft flange. This limits transmission choice to the original pushbutton Torqueflite and makes it more difficult to adapt a manual transmission.

A 413 is a smooth powerful torque monster.

19. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

The LB 350 did not have a poly head.

20. George

George

Bingo!

21. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

They were good reliable engines with good power potential. The only down side I can give you is that they were a little heavier than some alternatives.

22. George

George

Thinking that you could replace the 3.7" stroke crank with a 3.75" 440 crank & run the modern 727...

23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'm almost positive the thrust bearing is larger on the cast crank engines than the forged crank. Even if the journal is the same size

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. RWENUTS

RWENUTS
    from Nanaimo BC

True. I said poly like. As in the valve cover looked like it. Scalloped like a 348 chevy.

25. murfman

murfman

No the 350 had the same valve covers as the 361-426 4 bolt heads

26. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

So will a stick shift tranny or any other say 440 tranny fit the 413 or is it so different to other blocks at the rear???

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

They were the cats meow. They quickly got surpassed by the 426 wedge. If I had a 413 today I'd make sure that it was evident that it was a 413 and not a 361 or a 440. I'd rather have a 327 than a 350 for the same reason. Not the biggest baddest B block ever made but for a short time it was pretty F'n cool. I think it's a shame that it lost its coolness to more cubic inches.

28. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

The 413 had a 3.75 stroke as did the 426 and 440.

The reason the 413 is not more popular in recent times is it has a smallish bore which for all the usual reasons is not preferable as compared to the bigger and easier to find 440. But certainly it will get out of it's own way.

29. storm king

storm king

You asked about transmissions. A Mopar 727 transmission is about the strongest, most reliable, easiest to work on automatic you'll ever put in a car. Mopar got it right with this one right from the start.
    There are people selling a modern GM type transmission these days that they are very good. They're popular with folks because they have overdrive. I say any GM part in a Mopar is it's weakest link.
    The 413 has so much torque, you can run a lower numeric rear end gear and get the low RPM highway crusing speeds for today's driving.
    I know its a different ball of wax, but I'm running a 2:76 rear gear in my small block Mopar (why, oh why: did they put the distributor in the back like some POS chevy?). My vehcile, though, is only 2700 lbs with me in it, so the little engine doens't need the goobs of torque the big block Mopars have to get it moving in a hurry.

30. Deuces

Deuces

I want to do some math here..
    What was the bore sizes on the 413, 426 and 440 blocks???..