Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much does it really cost.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19Fordy, Sep 15, 2012.

?
  1. Less than $35000

229 vote(s)
    76.6%
  2. $36000 to $50000

32 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. $51000 to $75000

17 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. $75 to $100000 or more

21 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

you to make your dream project into a reality? My thinking is that many times the estimated cost turns into a number that we had never anticipated. So the question is: How much do you have into your ride not counting the cost of your own labor? Be sure and respond to the POLL. The last POLL selection should be: $76000 to $100000 or more. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  2. yblock292

yblock292

figure it all up ,all the parts and pieces, time its gonna take to build, double them both and you'll be close!

3. depends on what your dream looks like.

some guys have 5000 dollar dreams, other guys have 1.5M dollar dreams.

mine run from 10-30k

it can. most definitely.

this question depends on whether or not you count your personal labor.

I'm setting a budget of 20k for my next project, but it'll probably go thirty before i'm happy with it.

4. I have usually done a good job on the budget. You know the old Quick, Good, Cheap...pick two. I never pick Quick.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

5. Do I get to include tooling to make all the parts I dont have to buy?

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$10,000, or $50,000. Depends on whether or not you want to count what I would have been paid to build it, were I paid.

7. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

A lot of people are not realistic when it comes to the cost to build a car as a hobby.
    If you add everything up as a business would for a customer, you would include labor at the going rate. You would include all consumables such as welding supplies, grinding wheels, tool wear and replacement. All material used including wasted stuff from botches. Engineering and layout time. Parts chasing time, gas and vehicle wear.
    People wonder why store bought hot rods cost so much.
    Try running a realistic cost sheet some time and see why.
    Even leaving out all labor, the real cost is a lot higher than most estimates.

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I've had $6K drivers up to $50K semi show cars. Depends on what you want.

9. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

How does that old saying go: My worst nightmare is when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

10. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Cost about Three times what I tell my wife.

11. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Beat me to it!:rolleyes:

12. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

13. Model T1

Model T1

All the cars listed and all the junk I have to finish cars puts me somewhere in that $51,000-$75,000 bracket. All of them!
    But if I sat down and figured the labor and materials it has taken to get even where I am I'd guess maybe roughly sorta almost $two/three million dollars. :D;):confused:

14. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I don't even know how to answer this question !

It ALWAYS cost more than I expect ,then when YOU think its done ,ITS NOT..

Then you want to do something different....

and on

and on

and on ......

Everybody on this board knows what I'm talking about....

Just say A LOT OF MONEY .................

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  15. B Blue

B Blue

I find that I cannot make a one off. Everything on the car goes through two or three versions before it is acceptable. So the car cost a lot more than sum of the parts on the finished product.

Bill

16. dad-bud

dad-bud

We all spend what we can afford one way or the other - sometimes, we end up spending more than we expected though.
    They're still cheaper than boats or mistresses.

17. OneBad56

OneBad56

So frickin true.....:D

18. OneBad56

OneBad56

Close....usually double it and add 20%.

Sometimes, the project just takes a life of its own and cost why more than that.

The bigger question is really....when do you stop it when you're way into it...or do you just continue on.

19. Nobody's business but mine! HRP

20. Fenders

Fenders

All nonsense.
    Anyone who can't build his own hot rod for under $35K is paying someone else to do it. and his hobby is not building a hot rod, it is spending money to buy one.
    And if it is your hobby, and you build it yourself, you enjoy the build and don't charge yourself for labor.

21. Most of my customers have $100k dreams and a $10k budget......

22. Yea but building one directly led to building a fed to tow behind it go figure........
    as to how much ...........humm don't tell the wife!!!

23. If you are going to worry about the money,then you need another hobby. Its gonna cost way more than you think and way more than its worth. But its the enjoyment you get out of it thats valuable....priceless.

24. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Dreams take decades for me as I have lots of other things to spend money on, like geting my daughter thru school. Also I am going to be 68 next month so I will be happy geting my 39 running and driveable before I die.At different ages we have different expectations of what we can do.

25. Model T1

Model T1

This pretty well sums it up. But there are really not many real rodders building their own cars for love and enjoyment!
    Ask the average Joe at a car show or cruise-in a few simple questions-----What color is that? Really what color. Not just red. What did you do to that nice looking billet covered engine? How'd you get those seams so nice on that front seat? How much air do ya put in those tires?
    No wonder rods and customs cost so much now days. Everyone wants a Barris built show car even though this modern day builder ain't named George. Labor is not cheap.

26. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I do all my own work, with some help from my brother. I don't dream big, so $10,000 to $20,000 is about right.

27. JMel

JMel

Now that there is funny.....:D

28. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

HAHA. I know this feeling

There is no answer to this question. What the OP needs to do is accept that "there is no justification to own a hot rod/custom" (bike,boat, airplane etc.) so just build what you like and spend what you need to in order to achieve the goal.

I suggest doing as much as you can yourself to save $$ by doing your own labor. You can not value your own labor in this case so don't even think of trying. If we all did that all our cars would be over $100K. And you need to not be in a hurry or it will be 3x the cost to redo the shoddy rushed decisions and second guesses on parts selection.

29. spiders web

spiders web

When I go there will be a line around the block taking numbers to buy my stuff. The wife told someone at a party One dollar per piece. Boy I hope she goes firs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!t

30. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I'm fucked because I like nice paint & flames.