Register now to get rid of these ads!

History We ALL Love a DARE! PIX of TRULY Extinct Makes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Sep 12, 2009.

1. 1903 Conrad Tonneau

[​IMG]

One of the only known examples of a Conrad 12HP Touring car.
    Manufactured in 1903 by the Conrad Motor Carriage Company in Buffalo, New York State.
    Located at 1417 Niagara St. Buffalo N.Y. founded by Frank Philip Conrad

Currently located near Sevenoaks, Kent, England.

2. <TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Conrad

Conrad (US) 1900 - 1903
    Conrad Motor Carriage Co. Buffalo, New York.

This company began by making light steam cars with tiller steering and single chain drive. In 1902 no fewer than seven styles were offered, at prices from $750 to $1200. For 1903 a reduced range of steamers was joined by a line of petrol cars with 8, 9 and 12hp 2 cylinder engines, also with single chain drive but wheel steering. The company was wound up at the end of 1903, but one model was revived the following year as the Lackawanna.
    <RESPOND_BUTTON title="car car accessories motor motors"><RESPOND_BUTTON></RESPOND_BUTTON></RESPOND_BUTTON></TD><TD style="WIDTH: 30%">Date: 02/11/09
    Size: 2 items

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE id=gsThumbMatrix><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="WIDTH: 33%" class=giItemCell>[​IMG]
    1903 Conrad

Photo taken on the 2009 London to Brighton run
    Date: 02/11/09
    Views: 181

</TD><TD style="WIDTH: 33%" class=giItemCell>[​IMG]
    1903 Conrad

Photo taken on the 2010 London to Brighton run
    Date: 17/01/11
    Views: 159

3. [​IMG]

4. 1909 September 19 son Ferdinand Anton Ernst (&#8220;Ferry&#8221;) was born. The same day Ferdinand Porsche was busy racing at Semmering (40 km from home) in an Austro-Daimler Maja engineered by him. The news about the birth of his son he got by telegram.
    <FIGURE>[​IMG]<FIGCAPTION>Austro-Daimler Maja© Porsche AG

5. From: http://ranwhenparked.net/2011/12/15/porsche-designs-ferdinands-early-works/

Porsche left Lohner and went to Austro-Daimler and was appointed as technical director. With this move, Porsche was able to thrive and had greater freedom over his creations. Perhaps one of the first examples in which Porsche&#8217;s designs showed an interest in the outward appearance of a vehicle was in the Austro Daimler &#8220;Maja&#8221; of 1910. This car sported aluminum bodywork in the interest of reducing weight for competition, but furthermore was styled in what was called the &#8220;Tulpenform&#8221; or tulip shape. Though aerodynamics was a fairly new and unknown concept to automotive engineers at this time, Porsche was able to create a form that allowed for a greater degree of wind resistance. This, along with weight-saving aluminum material, resulted in a car capable of 87 miles-per-hour and therefore, easily out-performed its competitors.
    <DL><DT>[​IMG]</DT></DL>

6. Drives old rigs

Drives old rigs

A friend of mine recently bought an Apperson Jackrabbit emblem. It is a jackrabbit and has "1912" scratched on the back. It mounted on the radiator grill and is in great shape. He's curious as to it's value.

7. <TABLE class=vi-is1 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4>1900-10's Apperson Jack Rabbit radiator body trim emblem badge

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=10 colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TH class=vi-is1-lbl>Item condition:</TH><TD class=vi-is1-clr colSpan=3>Used</TD></TR><TR><TD height=10 colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TH class=vi-is1-lbl>Ended:</TH><TD class=vi-is1-clr colSpan=3>Jul 16, 201213:23:50 EDT</TD></TR><TR><TD height=10 colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TH class=vi-is1-lbl>Bid history:</TH><TD class=vi-is1-clr colSpan=3>1 bid

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=10 colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD class=vi-is1-solid height=10 colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TH class="vi-is1-lblp vi-is1-solidBg">Winning bid:

</TH><TD class="vi-is1-solid vi-is1-tbll">US $149.99

[​IMG]

8. Vintageride

Vintageride

Great posts, HJ. I had no idea Porsche was involved. You can see the Porsche personality and strong yet lightweight design basis coming out in the "Maja".

Did any "Maja" automobiles survive?

I supose they did in some way through Porsche.

Vintageride

9. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Jimi & Co., my apologies for drifting away from this wonderful thread, which is still holding its own very nicely with great contributors and topics. Here is something of a curiosity - perhaps the sole surviving Lewis, built in Racine, Wisconsin. I recall reading how it came from Vermont, but I've not been able to find out anything about the car including current whereabouts.

Attached Files:

10. Well there now may be ten (10). Here is a recent photo of one submitted by another HAMB member.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8144808&postcount=4555

11. From: http://www.american-automobiles.com/Lewis.html

The Lewis Automobile - The L.P.C. Motor Car Co.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width=1000><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=300><CENTER><!--webbot bot="Include" U-Include="Includes/300x250-2.html" TAG="BODY" startspan --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD width=250></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD width=250></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD width=250></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD width=250></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--webbot bot="Include" i-checksum="41769" endspan --></CENTER></TD><TD>Lewis
    The Lewis Motor Co. Racine, WI
    L.P.C. Motor Car Co. Racine, WI
    1914-1916 The Lewis Motor Co. of Racine, Wisconsin was founded by William M. Lewis of The Mitchell-Lewis Co. in 1913. By 1914 the company was reorganized into The L.P.C. Motor Car Co. The initials stood for William Lewis, Rene Petard and James Cram.
    All had worked for the Mitchell-Lewis Motor Co. Designer of the Lewis Six and it's engine was French born Engineer Rene Petard. The Lewis Six had an electrically started monobloc six cylinder engine with a 6 inch long stroke and small bore that developed 60 horsepower. The Lewis Six was capable of doing over 60 miles and hour. At 3250 pounds the Lewis Six was a large car with a 135 inch wheel base and a short turning radius.
    <CENTER>[​IMG]
    1915 L. P. C. Motor Co. Lewis Six Advertisement </CENTER>
    Shown in the vintage magazine ad above and below is the Lewis VI touring car. A roadster was added in 1915 that had wire wheels. Both cars were priced at $1600.00.
    <CENTER>[​IMG]
    1914 Lewis Six Magazine Ad
    With the outbreak of World War 1, Rene Petard a French citizen was recalled to France. William Lewis was unable to continue and the L. P. C. Motor Co. closed it's doors like so many American Automobile company's during the Great War in Europe. The American Motors Company of Indianapolis, IN purchased the assets of the L.P.C. Motor Car Co. in 1916. American Motors acted as the service center for owners of all L.P.C. Motor Cars and was the exclusive supplier of spare parts for several years. </CENTER><CENTER>[​IMG]
    1915 L.P.C. Motor Co. </CENTER>

12. From: Truckfax June 2011 http://truckfax.blogspot.com/2011_06_01_archive.html

[​IMG]

Ever heard of a Lewis automobile? Built in Racine, Wisconsin for a brief time from 1913 to 1916, the 135 inch wheelbase 60 hp, 6 cylinder Lewis Touring Car, was "Monarch of the Road" according to advertising.

The car still survivies in part because it had a poorly designed engine lubrication system. Previous owners "barned" the car and it was not until the present owner devised a chain driven lube pump that it could be driven reliably. Since then he has logged thousands of miles touring and is now part of a 1400 mile New England/ Nova Scotia tour.
    It may be the only Lewis on the road.

http://www.american-automobiles.com/Lewis.html

To my knowledge Lewis never built a truck.

13. swi66

swi66

Here's something on Mitchell-Lewis

The Mitchell-Lewis Company of Racine was one of the largest and best-equipped wagon manufacturers in the country in the nineteenth century. In 1903, the company produced its first automobile, and by 1911, the Mitchell-Lewis Motor Company had become the city's largest employer. Known for their large, fashionable touring cars, the Mitchell-Lewis Motor Company produced this booklet in 1911 to show how their automobiles were produced from start to finish.

Now go to the booklet with factory pictures:
    http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/turningpoints/search.asp?id=1109

Actually of the Mitchell Auto
    [​IMG]

Company geneology
    http://www.wisconsingenealogy.net/racine/mitchell-lewis-motor.htm

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Those who've frequented this thread will remember when a photo of the apparently EXTINCT Herschell-Spillman V8-powered Murray auto finally came to light, thanks to family descendent Tony Murray of Louisiana (Post #2655). I was very excited to SEE this rather expensive Pittsburgh-built car, finally:p.

BUT, we've never seen a photo of the John J. McCarthy's Murray followup make, the Murray-Mac :(, built in Atlantic, Mass., from 1921 to '22 and, some sources say, as late as 1929. We KNOW that the Murray-Mac EXISTED -- perhaps in numbers as low as a couple of hundred units -- because our HJManiac turned up tech data on the '21/2 models, powered now by Beaver OHV sixes.

[​IMG]
    Though it's been two years, sometimes a missing puzzle piece does surface, though! I was surfing about this morning an ran across an AACA forums inquiry by our HAMB bud, SunRoofCord, dated 2009, asking for info -- and ESPECIALLY a photo -- of a Murray-Mac. A SINGLE ACCA MEMBER RESPONDED WITH SOME DATA AND A LEAD ON A PHOTO!:eek::eek::eek:

He/she noted that the Murray-Mac SHARED many features with its Murray predecessor, notably excluding the power plant. He cited a published passage indicating that they were costly, elite, low-production cars. The assertion that they CONTINUED to be built in numbers as low as one or two a year (1) through 1929 may help explain why we on this thread suspected that NONE at all had been built after 1922. :confused: Yowza!

Now here's the kicker, the respondent added that an actual PHOTO of a 1926 Murray-Mac sedan :eek: ALSO appeared in the cited book: The Complete Encyclopedia of Motor Cars, 1885-1968 by G.N. Geordano!

SO, the gaunlet is thrown! :cool: DOES ANY ONE OF YOU REGULARS OR THREAD VISITORS HAVE A copy OF THIS REFERENCE BOOK SO THAT WE CAN SEE A SCANNED PHOTO?:confused:?:confused:?

It would be great to bring the search for the elusive -- and probably EXTINCT -- Murray-Mac to a close.:rolleyes: Thanks in advance to the person who can locate this book and scan the long-sought pic!

15. swi66

swi66

That is actually a reference book I have never heard of!
    So just for the heck of it I looked it up on both Amazon and on e-bay.
    Seems to be a pretty rare book as the price on amazon is cost prohibitive.
    But I lucked out and found it on e-bay for $30 and it is now on its way to me.

Who knows what other jewels reside in these pages.
    I will post again when I have more info.

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow, Gary, that's eye-opening. Somewhere yesterday, I ran onto mention that the book was reprinted a time or two. This sounds like Geordano may have taken his own original track in researching this tome (I hope!). AS YOU SAY, it could be full of gems of rare, OBSCURE and extinct cars!

I'll bet you have $30 dollars' worth of hours of reading ahead of you, man! I suspect that others besides I will be looking forward to some of your revelations, bro. Good luck, happy brousing!

17. Vintageride

Vintageride

SWI66

I do have The Complete Encyclopedia of Motor Cars, 1885-1968 by G.N. Geordano!

......and yes it did have a picture.

The Murray-Mac radiator shell looks like the McFarlan at first glance except that the hood is flush with the radiator shell on the Murray-Mac.

As I have said before. There is a great book covering the McFarlan by Keith Marvin and Alvin J. Arnheim called "What was the McFarlan?".

Pick up both books while you are at it. Not much else on Murray-Mac.

Vintageride

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Not to get off topic too far, Peter, but it amazes me how
    many U.S. makes besides Barley and Martin's Roamer,
    as well as the Murray and Murray-Mac, unashamedly
    mimicked the Rolls-Royce grille shell.:eek: Unless my
    memory fails me, I think the beautiful Diana (made by
    Moon) did so as well.:confused:

[​IMG]

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, Peter, AND THANKS to everybody who has chipped in bits of research on these very, VERY rare makes, the Murray and, especially, the Murray-Mac! I seem to recall that the search has gone on for more than two years -- maybe three!:eek:

To me, having an actual PHOTO of a rare (OR extinct) car is extra-special and represents a sort of final puzzle piece in a search, how 'bout you all? When you have a photo, you know a marque reached at least the prototype stage, if not production.

Seemingly, we can verify that the Murray-Mac was for real, though very limited production. Oh, and defunct. BUT ... is it EXTINCT???:confused:

I think I know how to cast my vote on that!:D

[​IMG]

I see several high-tone touches on this pricey car, don't you? Two-tone paint, wires, BiFlex bumper, plated elements ...

20. Orphan car guy

Orphan car guy
    from Holden Mo.

I have a 1912 staver roadster body looking for pictures or any info any body could give me

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  21. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Here's a Staver, at a small car meet in Sebring, FL in 1958. Thanks to striderv on flickr. Also, "Harry L. Curran in a Staver automobile in the autodrome at Riverview Exposition Chicago, Photo by H.P. Cook, 1649 Irving Park Blvd., Chicago, Aug. 1, 1911." Thanks to proscriptus on flickr.

Attached Files:

22. The Chicago Made Staver

Posted on May 19, 2011 by David Greenlees
    <!-- .entry-meta -->[​IMG]

The Staver was manufactured in Chicago by the Staver Carriage Company from 1907 until 1914, it was also know as the Staver-Chicago. The firm started out with high wheelers but soon changed to conventional four cylinder models. The most deluxe Staver manufactur-ed was the 1914 Staver 65 with a 452 c.i. six. The car in this publicity shot with the Daily News and Republic Tires signage is shown in front of the factory. The Old Motor Photo.

23. Orphan car guy

Orphan car guy
    from Holden Mo.

I have a 1912 staver roadster body and top bows, does any one have any pics or info on staver motors. I know they were built in chicago. and they have alittle bit of racing history. I'm planning on street rodding mine.

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

There have been a number of posts on Staver & the racing Stavers in this thread, if you search at the top of the page. BTW, SunRoofCord noted that Hemmings put the number of STAVER SURVIVORS around five. Thought you might like to know rarity, since you have 'rodding plans for your car. Just my 2 cents.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Has the Brigg or Briggs, (please correct me) 1936 Ford Flathead rear engined experimental been discussed here? Found a feature in the December 1936 Popular Mechanics. Bob

Attached Files:

26. John Tjaarda

Lincoln Zephyr

Wed, 2010-04-14 12:18 | Updater
    Author:
    Carroll Gantz

Designer:
    Tjaarda, John and Bonbright, Howard

Date:

[​IMG]
    The Lincoln Zephyr, designed by John Tjaarda and Howard Bonbright of the Briggs Manufacturing Company for Ford under the supervision of Henry's son, Edsel, and revised by Bob Gregorie (see below), was introduced in 1936. It was based on an earlier rear-engine design by Tjaarda, the Briggs Dream Car shown at The Century of Progress Exhibition in 1933-1934. (See separate article on this car) The design had a short front hood which sloped down quickly (similar to the original VW Beetle) which was consistent with the new "streamlining" trend. Gregorie had just been chosen in 1935 by Edsel Ford to head up Ford's new internal styling group, which from this time on would not need to use Briggs or any other outside styling sources. Gregorie used his new authority well. He had witnessed the 1934 controversial introduction of the Chrysler Airflow (see separate article on this car) which was "too streamlined" to suit public taste. In particular, the public disliked the blunt, rounded hood. He did not repeat this fatal error. So he moved the engine (of the Dream Car concept) to the front and added a graceful hood shape similar to an inverted, underwater ship's prow, which dramatically changed the character of the design. Gregorie's classic revised design was patented in 1935. The name Zephyr was clearly a reference to the first truly streamlined train, the Burlington Silver Streak Zephyr, designed by Albert Dean of the Budd company, that debuted at the Century of Progress Exhibition in Chicago in 1934. The very word, Zephyr, suggested the latest in streamlining technology. The Museum of Modern Art later called the Lincoln Zephyr the first successful streamlined car in the US, and it led to the even more classic Lincoln Continental of 1939. Eugene Turrenne "Bob" Gregorie, Jr., US auto designer was born in New York City in 1908. In 1927 he started as a draftsman at Elco Boat Works in Bayonne, NJ, and moved to yacht designers Cox & Stevens in NY in 1928.
    Sources:
    100 Years of Design consists of excerpts from a book by Carroll M. Gantz, FIDSA, entitled, Design Chronicles: Significant Mass-produced Designs of the 20th Century, published August 2005 by Schiffer Publications, Ltd.

Copyright Information:
    I own or have obtained the rights to the image(s) included with this article and grant industrialdesignhistory.com the right to post it(them) on its website and make use of it(them) in print media with proper attribution.

Read more

Tags: John Tjaarda, vehicle

Briggs Dream Car

Wed, 2010-04-14 12:10 | Updater
    Author:
    Carroll Gantz

Designer:
    Tjaarda, John

Date:

[​IMG]
    At the Chicago Century of Progress Exhibition (1933-1934), Ford displayed a concept vehicle called the Briggs Dream Car, a rear-engine car with unitized body designed by John Tjaarda of Briggs Manufacturing Company, Ford's major body supplier. Tjaarda based his design on aero- dynamic monocoque designs and models he began working on in 1926, called the Sterkenberg Series, which he refined in 1930 while working for Harley Earl. In 1932, he was hired by Briggs as chief of body design in their new in-house design center. Briggs had just bought out LeBaron, Inc., and became Detroit's largest independent body producer. John Tjaarda (say "charda"), 1897- 1962, was born in Holland of a titled family in the Sterkenberg area. He trained in aeronautical design in England and served as a Dutch Air Force pilot before emigrating to US in 1923. He worked first on custom bodies in Holly- wood, then pioneered in monocoque streamlined designs while working for Duesenberg and Harley Earl. Tjaarda and others were inspired toward aerodynamic car design by initial work started in 1921 by Austro-Hungarian engineer Paul Jaray, who began testing car models in aircraft wind tunnels. Jaray later used this data to design the streamlined 1933 Tatra 77 built in Czechoslovakia, which remained in production into the 1990s. The Tjaarda Dream Car bore an uncanny resemblence to the 1932 inexpensive rear-engine small car developed in Germany by Dr. Ferdinand Porsche for the NSU Company called the Type 32, or Kleinauto, which in 1933 was already on its way to becoming the Volkswagen Beetle. On the other hand, Porsche's design owes a lot to Tjaarda's Sterkenberg Series of the late 1920s. Chrysler picked up on aerodynamic research in 1927, prototyping a design in 1932 which resulted in their infamous Airflow design of 1934. Ford, in 1933, had begun annual styling changes (pioneered by Chevrolet in 1928 and causing the demise of Ford's Model T).
    Sources:
    100 Years of Design consists of excerpts from a book by Carroll M. Gantz, FIDSA, entitled, Design Chronicles: Significant Mass-produced Designs of the 20th Century, published August 2005 by Schiffer Publications, Ltd.

Copyright Information:
    I own or have obtained the rights to the image(s) included with this article and grant industrialdesignhistory.com the right to post it(them) on its website and make use of it(them) in print media with proper attribution.

Read more

Tags: John Tjaarda, vehicle

27. Vintage shots from days gone by! - Page 553 - THE H.A.M.B.

<CITE>www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428585&page=553</CITE>

28. <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-y; BACKGROUND-POSITION: right center" background=/dnn/Portals/_default/Containers/containers/media/FrameRDarkML.gif></TD><TD width="100%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" height="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=Td_No_Title_b014v12><TABLE id=Table_Title_b014v12 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=middle noWrap></TD><TD vAlign=middle noWrap></TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=middle width="100%" noWrap>1959 Lark with Rear Mounted Engine </TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=top noWrap></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" id=dnn_ctr414_ContentPane class=DNNAlignleft align=center><!-- Start_Module_414 -->
    [​IMG]
    Studebaker National Museum
    Photo by John Penrice

This 1959 Lark was an engineering study performed by the Curtiss-Wright Corporation to test the viability of a rear mounted engine in a Lark. Curtiss-Wright owned a large amount of Studebaker stock in the 1950's and had significant input in Studebaker's management. The program ceased when Curtiss-Wright's association with Studebaker terminated in 1959. This car was donated to the Studebaker National Museum by Barbara Woodbury of Jaffrey, New Hampshire.​

<!-- End_Module_414 -->
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Studebaker National Museum also has added a one-of-a-kind 1959 Studebaker Lark Experimental to its collection. Fitted with a 1953 Porsche engine and drive train in a rear engine configuration, this Lark can be seen in the Studebaker National Museum’s visible storage located on its lower level.

The 1959 Studebaker Lark Experimental is an engineering study of the viability of a rear-mounted engine in the lark. This study was commissioned by the Curtiss-Wright Corporation. Curtiss-Wright held a large amount of Studebaker stock in the late 1950&#8242;s and managed Studebaker operations at this time.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  29. From Studegarage.com

http://www.studegarage.com/porsche.htm
    <BIG><BIG><BIG><BIG>Studebakers that never were</BIG></BIG></BIG></BIG>

<TABLE border=1 width=982><TBODY><TR><TD width=472>[​IMG] In March, 1961 Studebaker released a sketch of a sub-compact car planned for future introduction. It called for a four-cylinder, air-cooled, rear engine of 65-75 horsepower. Wheelbase was about 100 inches, much shorter than the Lark of the time. Seating was for four or five passengers. Studebaker hoped to get the car to market by the fall of 1962 at a price under $2000. The car never made it to production, but there was more to it than just an artist's sketch. It was known as a Porsche Type 633, the result of an association with Porsche that started in 1952.
    [​IMG]
    Porsche built a car for Studebaker in August, 1952 with a 120-degree V-6 engine . This was the Porsche Type 542, also known as the Z-87 car at Studebaker. Though it was looked at then, it didn't get serious review until 1956 when Studebaker's director of experimental engineering tested the car and reported on it. The director's name: John Z. DeLorean, who later went on to other cars and other activities. He didn't like the Porsche effort and compared it unfavorably to the comfort and ride of the 1956 Champion and Commander. Interestingly, this appears to have been the only 4-door Porsche until the Cayenne SUV was introduced for 2003.
    </TD><TD width=498>In later years, a Lark was modified to have a Porsche engine and transaxle installed in the trunk area. Curtis-Wright Corporation owned nearly half of the Studebaker stock in the late 1950's and took over management of the company. Development efforts were conducted at their New Jersey facility. [​IMG]
    In February, 1959 Curtis-Wright bought a new Lark with a Champ 6 engine from a local dealer and modified it. A used engine from a 1953 Porsche was rebuilt by Porsche and installed along with the torsion-bar rear suspension and transaxle. Wheels and gear reduction boxes from a VW bus were used to optimize the drive line. This engine was placed in what had been the trunk of the Lark after removing the Champ 6 and automatic transmission from the front of the car. In addition, since Curtis-Wright had taken out a license to build Wankel rotary engines, an adapter was prepared to install a small Wankel engine in place of the Porsche engine. This car may have been the prototype for the sub-compact touted two years later.

Before the car could be fully tested and the rotary engine installed, the relationship between Curtis-Wright and Studebaker ended. The Lark was sold to a local New Jersey garage, then quickly resold twice more to car collectors. The car still survives and has occasionally appeared at car shows in New England. It retains the 1500 cc, 70 hp Porsche engine in the trunk. While the horsepower rating is less than the Champ 6 it replaced, the much lower weight of the Porsche engine and transmission help, but it is not a high-performance car. The engine produces peak horsepower at 5,000 rpm.