Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Henry Ford Museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by derbydad276, Sep 1, 2012.

1. The HFM is indeed a precious resource. I visit there often. Here's a recent story we did (including photo gallery) about the Henry Ford Museum and the newly reopened automotive exhibit, which is now called Driving America:

Driving History at the Henry Ford Museum | Mac's Motor City Garage

A few sample photos from the story... please take and share...someone asked about the X8 so I threw it in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Deuces

Deuces

I think it's great that "Ohio George" let the museum borrow the Malco Gasser... I have the AMT/MPC model kit of that one...:)

3. My understanding is the museum bought Ohio Geo's Willys... one of a number of drag/hot rod cars in recent years, including the Summers Bros Goldenrod, a flathead dragster, and the Beatty tanker. Part of a HFM strategy to "democratize" the collection, they say. Hot rodders can take some pride in that, I think.

Driving History at the Henry Ford Museum | Mac's Motor City Garage

[​IMG]

4. Looks like they have the Oscar Meir Weenie Car. Now that is a collection.

5. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

6. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I got to visit the HFM back in 1977 when I was 14. With a little luck, my wife and I will be in the area at the beginning of October during a cross-Canada road trip we're doing. If her health allows it we'll cross into Detroit for a day to visit the museum.

7. Deuces

Deuces

So are we still goin'???...

8. Tom Beatty's tank ready to make a run. You can see the front of Tom's '40 sedan delivery push truck which also ran a blown Olds. One year Tom blew up the engine in the tank, pulled the engine from the truck and put it in the tank. He set a record, put the engine back in the truck, and drove it home.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  9. mow too much

mow too much

We went about 25 years ago, very impressive back than.

10. I might be able to go, my schedule changes frequently & might not know until a few weeks before. Haven't been to the museum since '04 and have heard it's had a few changes since then. Haven't been to the Village in 20+ years.

11. hotdamn

hotdamn

me and SINTICKET go every year when we come up for autorama, I love that place <3, just seeing these photos makes me already excited about heading back this winter!

12. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Last time I was there they had the Oscar Meyer Weenie car right next to the chair Honest Abe Lincoln was in when he assinated. Thought that was pretty disrespectful, hope they have moved it.

13. The Henry Ford is the best keeper of history in the country. I live about 40 miles from the Smithsonian and 500 miles from The Henry Ford. I've been to Dearborn many more time than Washington over the years.

14. Here are just a few pics from our last visit there in '04:

There are planes:
    [​IMG]

Trains (son in-law Rick, next to one of the smaller locomotives on display inside):
    [​IMG]

and automobiles - LOTS of automobiles:
    [​IMG]

Ray (left) and me, along with one of Preston's Tuckers:
    [​IMG]

Typical Y-block - check out the wet spot under it!
    [​IMG]

Bill Elliott's '87 NASCAR 210+ mph Thunderbird:
    [​IMG]

The Dymaxion House (one of only a very few still in existence):
    [​IMG]

An early McDonalds:
    [​IMG]

And YES, even the Wiener-mobile (referring to the car, not my buddy Ray :rolleyes:)
    [​IMG]

These pics don't even scratch the surface of the great stuff in the Henry Ford - very well worth the price of admission!

15. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

What an awesome vintage shot! Thanx Dean!

16. 48 Indian Rag

48 Indian Rag
    from conn

If your making the trek to Detroit don't miss the Ford Piquette Ave Plant, outstanding piece of history and the woman in charge is a super tour guide with a great feel for the people and the cars. Went there this year when we visited the Autorama spent three and a half hours there, was supposed to be two, Also did Walter P. Chrysler in Auburn Hills.

17. I guess they are just too cool (or old) to use the "rotate" and "crop" buttons........until then, we have to tilt. ;)

[​IMG]

18. Got to visit the Chrysler museum this year while on the HRPT. All the cool stuff is in the basement!

19. Not to spam you or toot the horn, but at the link below you will find stories (with big photo galleries) on the Henry Ford Museum, the Walter P. Chrysler Museum, and the GM Heritage Collection.

...with these features I like to do lots of photos. I always wonder why websites bother to do stories like these and run only a few photos. This is the Internet. There's no ink or paper to pay for, so why not do it right. Right?

In the left column, just click on the category, "car museums."

20. Woody94

Woody94
    from Holly, MI

I remember going to the HFM on a school field trip as a kid, but then somehow never made the time to go back as an adult. Finally made it back this year, and took my 4 Yo. The place is simply amazing!!! I wanted to punch myself in the face for taking 25 years to go back:D. Hope to get back again before years end....

21. Deuces

Deuces

Just before Christmas sound good???..:rolleyes::D

22. Curt B

Curt B

I was there last year and saw Abe's chair and Kennedy's Lincoln which were both a little morbid. The vintage machine tools from the Ford plant were interesting as well as all the other stuff mentioned already.

Attached Files:

23. Deuces

Deuces

24. dad-bud

dad-bud

I've been to the Henry Ford Museum twice - first time in 2004 when I was picking up a car I'd bought on eBay from Ohio with a mate (rusted pile of shit - damn!). I was amazed and fell in love with the place, it's so cool.
    I took my wife back there in 2008 on our trip through the US for our 25th anniversary. She made all the right noises, but we both knew it was realy just for me - we spent all day there, getting kicked out at the end.
    I've got about a million photos of all the cool cars and memorabilia.
    I can heartily recommend it to anyone - one of the best kept secrets going.

25. Earlier this year the automotive collection was completely revamped and renamed Driving America. Feature story above. It's well worth another visit to see the new exhibit.

26. midwestford

midwestford
    from Michigan

Clearspot, I use to work down the road from you in DSC2 building for the DI Team.

Use to...long story

27. 59 brook

59 brook

what a weiner:eek::D

Attached Files:

28. funny how with all the incredible historic vehicles, the Weinermobile is one of the star attractions!

29. No, go just 'after' Christmas, when all of us that work for "Ford's" can go because of shutdown. ;)

For those that don't know, it's pretty much a local thing to southeast Michigan to add " 's " to everything... ie K-Mart's, Ford's, etc. And a big pet peeve of mine!

Seriously, if we don't go up north that week, we plan on going. That and election day, since that's another day off...

JK

30. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Free admission to the museum today. Big crowds to see the Kennedy car.