Register now to get rid of these ads!

My tire turned brown????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BronxMopars1, Sep 6, 2012.

1. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

Tire size - Tire Color - Tire Tread Pattern - Tire Sidewall - Tire Width - Tire Height - Tire Brand - Tire Valve Stem - etc , etc and so on !!!!

Gotta be sure everything is OK :p

Let's call in CSI.....:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Either that,...... or BETTER YET!!!!! ...... "Who ya gonna call.......

GHOST BUSTERS" !!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Those tires MUST BE a Ghost-OPTICAL ILL-WOO-SION :eek:

YOU know what I mean !!!!!! :cool:

2. Hey Mr. Wizard! :D

My tire turned brown and it was under the bed of the truck!

Never see the sun shine UP! :p

3. Dakota Boy

Dakota Boy
    from Racine, WI

Does anyone remember Tire Black?

It was like black paint.... but I doubt it is for sale anymore...

Last time I used it was 1986... on my fancy 1977 Nova....

4. chrisbob12

chrisbob12

I had a 1941 Ford once that the whitewall tires turned brown because I drove off the street and down the rairoad tracks. I never could get the brown off the whitewalls. I painted them with whitewall paint. Problem solved.

5. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Run em! Brown tires are rare and you don't see them everywhere !
    On white walls I've always used store bought SOS pads. The whitewall won't yellow like how it does with bleach white spray. And the wool really cleans the grim
    Up without any excessive scrubbing

6. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Hmm, good point there. Upon further reading, ozone is a major component of the process, but UV from the sun does contribute.

"The major factor degrading tires and other synthetic and rubber products is OZONE, an odorless gas which is part of the air we breathe. When combined with ultraviolet light a reaction occurs that attacks the tire polymer.
    To protect against ozone and UV damage, a stabilizer molecule called a competitive absorber is blended with the tire polymer. Competitive absorbers work by capturing and absorbing UV radiation and converting it to heat which is dissipated harmlessly. All tire manufacturers use the same competitive absorber, carbon black. This is why all tires are black.
    These absorbers are sacrificial, they expand themselves in performing their function of changing UV to heat. As carbon black loses it's ability to perform, its turns brown. This is one reason why black tires discolor with age.
    To protect from further ozone damage, tire manufacturers add a wax compound to their formulas. Tires flex when thay are in motion, causing the wax molecules to migrate to the surface. This forms a protective barrier between the air (ozone and oxygen) and the tire polymer. In the tire trade this is called "blooming".
    When tires are parked for extended periods, blooming does not occur and ozone starts attacking the polymer. With UV light and ozone working in concert, the degradation is accelerated, resulting in drying, discoloration and cracking."

Besides, there is SOME sunlight down there, or you would never have found the tire in the first place! :p ;)

7. Ha Ha!

Honestly, I think its got something to do with the releasing agent used in the process of making the tire.

I believe that it is leaving a film on the rubber that eventually changes color with time. I also believe this to be the case because the lacquer thinner is strong enough to cut through and remove this film and the brown color doesn't return.

8. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Did you ever drive by a RV park and notice most if not all of the units have canvas covers over there tires or wonder why all SUV spare tires are covered, It's to keep the sunlight and ozone from breaking down the rubber.

9. ^ ^ ^ What's that have to do with the color??? ^ ^ ^

10. rustang

rustang

+1 on this... the ultra violets are causing this, but it will clean up...

11. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I use Bleeche White and some tire dressing but not armor all. Do not get it on rims/painted surfaces

12. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Yep, works great.

13. noboD

noboD

Lestoil will take that crap off without drying out the rubber. That's all I use for rubber.

14. chrisbob12

chrisbob12

The tires are covered in the RV Parks because of the dogs doing their duty on them.

15. I tricked myself into believing its patina and now I don't worry about it. Tim

16. upspirate

upspirate

Yep, looks like patina to me!!!

I used to use brake fluid in the '70's, but now I use either Bleache White, or Fantastic spray with no dressing.

I find that if you spray on when dry, let soak a few minutes, then brush and rinse, it works better than when the tire is wet.

I just tried Meguiar's hotshine foam...hate it!!! Makes it look like cheap shiny tire dressing on an Earl Schibe painted car on a buy-here pay-here cheap ass car lot!!!

17. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

That's exactly what it is. The lacquer thinner should certainly cut it, but I would try a solvent that is a little less harsh, like wax and grease remover, naptha, mineral spirits, etc.