Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where can I get a 6 volt battery in a hurry?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greg_usa, Sep 14, 2012.

1. greg_usa

greg_usa
    from New York

I need to get my 51 plymouth out of my fiance's mothers garage and over to a barn at my sisters for the winter. Battery is shot and I need to get it out tomorrow. I just called Sears and they only carry 12 Volt. Any other ideas? Do local auto-parts stores usually carry them?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks fellas!

2. squirrel

squirrel

disconnect the rest of the electrical system, use a 12v battery and a ballast resistor and hot wire it? you'd have to deal with the coil polarity issue

Some parts stores have 6v batteries. Places like NAPA would be a good bet

3. cayager

cayager

tractor supply also has them also i got one there a while ago

4. I just bought new 6 volt for my Plymouth at Autozone. Most part stores should have them.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

went to O'Rielys a few months ago and the guy behind the counter had never even heard of a 6 volt battery.

"what kind of car has a 6 volt battery?"

"uh...every car made before about 1955 or so"

"really?"

fun times at the parts place.

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Tractor Supply Company carries them. Don't know what city you're in in New York, but here's a list of stores in New York

NEW YORK
    ALDEN, AMENIA, AMSTERDAM, ARCADE, AUBURN, BATAVIA, BROCKPORT, CANANDAIGUA, CASTLETON, CHESTER, CLAY, CLIFTON PARK, COBLESKILL, CORTLAND, DANSVILLE, DELHI, DUNKIRK, EAST SYRACUSE, FULTON, GENESEO, GENEVA, GLENMONT, GLOVERSVILLE, GOUVERNEUR, GRANVILLE, GREENWICH, HAMBURG, HAMILTON, HIGHLAND, HONEOYE FALLS, HORNELL, HORSEHEADS, HUDSON, ITHACA, LAKEWOOD, LIBERTY, LOCKPORT, LOWVILLE, MALONE, MASSENA, MEDINA, NEWARK, NORWICH, OGDENSBURG, OLEAN, ONEIDA, ONEONTA, ONTARIO, OSWEGO, PAINTED POST, PATTERSON, PINE BUSH, PLATTSBURGH, POTSDAM, PULASKI, QUEENSBURY, ROME, SARATOGA SPRINGS, SENECA FALLS, SIDNEY, SPRINGVILLE, TICONDEROGA, TROY, UTICA, VESTAL, WARSAW, WATERTOWN, WELLSVILLE

7. O'Reilly's should have it

8. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Call a tow truck.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

If i'm not mistaken a ballast resistor should step you down to 8 or 9 or so volts, safe to start anything so you shouldnt have to screw with anything. You probably could hop from a coil wire(long charge time tho...)without screwing with anything either. I'm not very bright electrically(no pun intended) so someone should call BS on me...

10. another vote for Tractor Supply

11. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

12. belair

belair

Tractor Supply

13. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Another "call a tow truck".
    Same price without having to get another one in May.

14. ctfordguy

ctfordguy

Since you only need it for a move, try to borrow one from a friend. If you have AAA (or go sign up for it)...they'll tow you there. Just tell them you got stuck on your way home. The battery is over $ 100. If the battery sits till next year it could be junk by then. don't ask me how I know. 6 volt batteries are NOT warrentied.
    Good luck,
    Bruce

15. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

Um... could you just jump it ??? & buy a battery later...

16. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

If the generator and regulator are good just jump-start it with 12 volts with the 6 volt battery in place, pull the cables off as soon as it is running above a fast idle - generator should be OK to fire the points and coil; I do this with my 6 volt farm tractors all the time.

2 people is best - one in the car, one on the cables -

17. lewislynn

lewislynn

Inthe 60's most every car a kid had was pre-55 with 6 volt systems. We would jump them with 12 volts without ever being a problem as long as you didn't crank on it too long at a time...and crank it will.

18. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

O'Reilly, NAPA, autozone. They've all got them. The guys behind the counter don't know they have them, but they are there on the shelf along with the rest of them.

19. HamD

HamD

I just updated my location to make better sense based on how helpful it coulda been in this thread.

20. 68hillbilly

68hillbilly
    from KENTUCKY

CARQUEST, NAPA, TRACTOR SUPPLY, these are the best bets for a new one, if its going to sit all winter disconnect it and take it inside if possible. better chance of finding one in stock in a rural community. our tractor supply store always carries them. most of the fast food type parts stores have to order them oreiilys auto zone advance etc. also make sure and check the date on the battery . sometimes 6v sit around on the shelf for a while get the newest one you can. should have a sticker on the side showing when it was manufactured.

21. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Got a used one from Interstate - in stock and $30 to $40.

22. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

I bought a 6-V battery at our local John Deere dealer.

23. Vzfnjm

Vzfnjm

Tractor Supply Co (TSC)

24. The last 6 volt battery I bought was a little pricy,,a call to a local tow truck driver would be pretty quick and maybe even cheaper,,,btw,Car Quest in our area have all closed down.HRP

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Farm equipment stores like New Holland (Ford Tractors) should have six volt batteries in stock too.

26. Crankhole

Crankhole

Autozone

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. Batteries Plus. Nearly every county has one now and they sell every battery imaginable.

28. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, jump it. Or, do what Squirrel said..........

4TTRUK

29. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

The NAPA I work at stocks them...We are a farming community

30. There is a local store called "Batteries Plus" that is part of a national chain that carries 6-volt batteries in stock for $79. Check your local phone book to see if there is one near you. They seem to have batteries for everything imaginable. I needed a really unique battery for my home security system and they had it on the shelf.

Jim