Register now to get rid of these ads!

1934 Ford Radiator question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 343WINDOW, Sep 12, 2012.

1. 343WINDOW

343WINDOW

I'm putting an 8ba in my '34 coupe. I know about how tight this is and I'm just going to recess the firewall...the flattie I have is a fresh rebuild complete front to back sitting on a stand with an old truck rad and battery. I bought it this way and can fire it up and let her run...so I don't really want to be changing cams, pumps pulleys etc. I am ordering the rad from Brassworks and they offer the option of the recessed top tank for fan clearance, just like the originals. You can only get a three row rad with this option opposed to four without. Do I need this fan cutout?

2. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Why do you need to recess firewall.

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

If your engine and cooling system are in good shape, I think a 3 core would be sufficient. I used a little mustang 3 core unit on my last 8ba powered roadster and it ran nice and cool in just about any weather.

Because the 8ba pulleys are longer.

4. 343WINDOW

343WINDOW

Every post I've read on the Hamb says it's a tight fit even with all the early front dressing....am I wrong????

5. Weasel

Weasel

Exactamundo - why recess the firewall when it orignially had a flattie in there anyway? My 1933 three window had a 59 AB - actually a Canadian C59A - and it just sat in place of the stock 21 stud engine with absolutely no mods. Recessing a firewall should be a last resort measure when all else fails....

[​IMG]

6. 343WINDOW

343WINDOW

So.....get the recessed top tank??????

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I might be wrong but the 8BA presents different installation problems from the 59 AB?????? In a 33/34!

8. Weasel

Weasel

9. 343WINDOW

343WINDOW

I read this post before I posted my question. There is lots of talk about pulleys and pumps, but nothing about fan hitting tank if you don't have the factory recessed tank. Brassworks is the only company that offers this factory recessed tank...everyone else says you have to run an electric fan with theirs...which I have no desire to do. So do I play it safe and get the recessed tank and go without four rows of cooling?????

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Because like he said in his original post, he has an 8ba and doesn't want to change out all the required crap on the engine to make it 59ab size.

Honestly, I agree... I would probably just change everything over rather than cut a nice firewall, but there are ways to do it nicely if that's what he wants to do.

11. rrthiv

rrthiv
    from S.E.Ohio

It is a tight fit if using the original cross member,i made 4" spacers on the motor mounts to get the crank pulley above the cross member,never cut the firewall.

12. Weasel

Weasel

Which proves I know zip about flatties;) - but hey I am a Willys guy....