Register now to get rid of these ads!

F100 kingpin help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chappys4life, Sep 14, 2012.

1. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

I am new to kingpins so my knowledge on them is pitiful at best. I have a 53 f100 mostly stock and am having some issues.

Took my axle out removed the old kingpins and took them down to the local napa machine shop with new kingpins, spindles, and axle. They did the reaming and made everything nice. Put the the axle back in, installed the kingpins per the diagram in the shop manual and everything seemed good.

Fast forward 5 months I just did lowering springs front and rear, new shocks, and tie rod ends. Took it down to get it aligned, kingpins maybe have 200-250 miles max. The alignment shop is telling my my kingpins have too much play. I am lost how this could be. Any ideas or help?

2. May Pop

May Pop

When they reamed the bronze bushings they were to large? Another thought is the up and down play is too much which is adjusted with shims. Are the pins wobbling or going up and down.

Ron

3. I would take your axel back to the place and have them fix it right at their expense.

Lee

4. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

I am not sure in all honesty. Sadly I did not know the details to ask I told them I was doing new kingpins brought the them new ones with the spindles and axle and they seemed to know what they needed to do.

They maybe need to be shimmed. I can ask if the pins are wobbling or going up and down when i pick it up today. I'm thinking I might rip the axle out with spindles still installed and taking it to this alignment place so they can check them and see what can be done.

5. Bushings reamed incorrectly or maybe the king pins are loose in the axle boss. How tight were they to install?

6. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

They seemed nice and tight when I installed them.

7. oj

oj

Have you checked them to see if they do have too much play? I would want to see proof before taking any steps. Not many shops have experience with kingpins and don't know the difference between looseish wheel bearing and loose kingpin - know what i mean?

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I agree that you need to clarify where the "looseness" is, either in the bore diameter or in the shimming of the area between the axle and the spindles. The kit you bought came with shims and sometimes it is necessary to go back after the spindle seats and add a shim or two. That is an easy fix but the bore is fixed once it is honed.

The problem may be that your alignment shop guy is not familiar with kingpin front ends, they are not the same as ball joint front ends and not many people today ever see them in their shop. Once you clarify where your slop is (if it indeed exists) come on back and tell us and we will be able to steer you in the right direction (no pun intended :D).

Don

9. turdytoo

turdytoo

If the axle its self is worn (wallered out) you have to fix or replace it first. When honing bushings for king pins on a Sunnen machine, you have to use a long mandrel to hone both bushings at the same time. If reaming the bushings, you must use a reamer that centers on both bushings at the same time. If you do not use this proceedure you wil almost always have to ream the bushings excessivly to get the pin to go through both bushings.

10. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

It's thurston springs in Richmond and they are liked locally they do a lot of big trucks. I think they know kingpins pretty well. I'm going to pick up the truck today. I will get it on jack stands and check them closer.

11. pitman

pitman

12. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

After talking to the guy when picking it up he said its up and down play and side to side on passenger side. He said the passenger side is more than likely over reamed.

I had other issues with the napa machine work so I'm not too surprised. They thought it was a good idea to run a weld around where the steering arm and spindle meet yet it's held on my a huge nut....so lesson learned never use napa machine shop what an expensive lesson. Thankfully all in all should only cost me 350 after its all said and done thankfully.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Welding steering components is never 'a good idea'.

But they still do it...(wry grin)