Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pipopak

pipopak
    BANNED
    from florida

But is missing the telescope.....

2. I'm not trying to stir the pot, but that looks like a digital photo to me. Again I repeat, I am not trying to start a shit storm. If it were a pre war photo it wouldn't be so crisp and clear. I'm probably wrong but maybe not.

3. I was looking at the tire track patterns around the car for clues...

This car is on the "Three Spring" thread as well

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  4. I shoot film exclusivly and that doesn't look like film to me, but if it is modern I'm suprised no one had IDed the car.

5. MrModelT

MrModelT

I thought the same thing too, so your not alone. I was only commenting on the car itself (which was actually posted earlier)...I must have accidentally removed the "quote" header.

I agree, looks like a newer photo...and I think wingnutz is on the right track with the incorrect tire tracks in the foreground.

6. So I'm not crazy. I think if anyone would know the car it would be you though. It just doesn't look like a film pic to me, just look at the 1000nds of other pics of this thread then that one. Lakes or salt pics from back in the day weren't usually "well" taken, mostly with Kodak Brownies, of course there are a few exceptions. I just dought that one.

You know the more I look at it, it looks like a color pic that has been converted to B&W.
    And the exposure is to good for that era, pics from that era on the salt are always blown out and over exposed. If someone had the knowledege to get a Brownie to expose that well they probably wouldn't have taken the pic on the shadow side of the car.

Its probably taken from that side to avoid "modern" shit in the backround.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  7. No Doc! My I didn't intend to frighten anyone. My intent, I guess, was to make a pitch for alliance memberships to help Ryan pay the bills. Sorry......

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Mike, no, I don't think that was Doc's point -- and likely not yours, either. If I dare to speak for others here, we work hard to find great material. Myself, I always hoped that our contributions were actually HELPING the HAMB. Speaking for myself, I cannot afford to subscribe to X-amount per year, as I am retired. I assumed all those hits were helping the HAMB and Ryan. Maybe a moderator can wade in and tell us how it all works?

9. NewportNic

NewportNic

Back in post 51324 could this be the proprietor of the "Best Damn Garage in Town"?[​IMG]

Henry "Smokey" Yunick (May 25, 1923 - May 9, 2001)
    [​IMG]

10. J_J_

J_J_

Sure looks like him..

11. JackOfAllTradesRuss

JackOfAllTradesRuss

The last picture in Al Consolic's Post #52343 of a Super Connie Aircraft was just like the one that I was transported on to Wheelus AFB, Libya in 1962, when I was in the US Air Force. 26 hour fleight travel time with 3 refueling stops on this baby. Returned to States 18 months later on a DC8 jet in 8 hours with only 1 refueling stop..... Russ

12. Joe Nix

Joe Nix

The AF flew us to Wheelus in December '53 from New Jersey and I recall fuel stops in Newfoundland and the Azores but my recall may be faulty. We laid over in Wheelus a day so a friend. Rented bicycles and rode around Tripoli.

13. lewislynn

lewislynn

I coudn't agree more.

14. swi66

swi66

15. swi66

swi66

16. swi66

swi66

17. swi66

swi66

18. swi66

swi66

19. swi66

swi66

20. swi66

swi66

21. Great pic with all those dirty cars. Get a load of the one clean car infront of Kaufmans !!

22. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I look back at the 3500# cars we flat towed or hauled on single axle trailers flat out down open state highway or around country mountain roads and wonder........ what were we thinking.
    Tom S. in Tn.

23. Damn straight ...on both counts !!!!:D:D

24. [​IMG]
    photo: LIFE onlinearchives

25. Tom, We towed a 198" Top Fuel FED on an open single axle trailer all over div. 4, and never thought anything of it.
    Worried more about rain than anything else....:cool:

26. MrModelT

MrModelT

Yeah, it doesn't appear to be a period car. I agree completely, good eye :D

Also on closer inspection this morning...I see two sets of radial tire tracks in the foreground. There is a another car in the photo (the back end peeking out just behind the visible corner of the turtle deck). It looks like an older fender-less pickup with something in the bed or perhaps a late 30's or early 40's coupe...like a Ford, Merc or Chevy.

...just too small to tell though.

27. ^^^^ Look again. I think what we are looking at behind the roadster is the passenger side front fender of a late model pickup.....

28. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Another one from the Louisville area isn't it, Ron? I can recall (for some obscure reason) the number for Yellow Cab being JAckson-2121. Strange what sticks with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.