Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Chevy door hinges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RTS1, Sep 13, 2012.

1. RTS1

RTS1

Hey, do the door post hinges on a rear door have locking nuts on the inside of the frame post? If so, by removing the bolts, does the nuts stay attached for reassembly or do they have to be replaced before I re-install the door? I am also having problems getting the bolts out-any suggestions to make it easier? I do not want to remove the upholstery on the post if I don't have to. But, these suckers are really tight. I need to replace the hinges because they are sprung and the door does not fit tight or close properly. I am afraid the door will come open while driving. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Rick :confused:

2. usually they are "caged nuts" and stay in place unless rust has loosened them. soak them and if that dosn't work HEAT! Do you have a impact driver? Gonna need one.

3. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

Actually If I remember correctly they aren,t nuts at all if it hasn't been jacked with. It is a plate with threaded holes for the bolts, (or on the rear doors), screws to attach to. This way all the threaded holes move together when adjusting. That plate stays in the body of the car and is loose when a door is not on that way you can adjust the door when you tighten against it. I think if you have the philips head screws you need a "impact driver" to get them loose. Also a good old fashioned torch for alittle heat help work them loose, Tim

4. get one of those hand type impact drivers,If that does not jar it loose the collet and bits from the hand impact will fit on a 3/8" air impact,then it will surely come loose fairly easily.