Register now to get rid of these ads!

Really need some help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drs47ford, Sep 13, 2012.

1. drs47ford

drs47ford
    from Western NY

I seriously need some help. A brief background on the car before I ask my question.

It's a 1947 Ford coupe. I bought it literally in pieces so that's part of my problem....I didn't tear it down so I don't know how some things should go back together as this is my first project like this. The subframe is GM, done by the previous owner, not me.

I'm to the point of trying to figure out how to put the front sheetmetal back on (fenders, hood, grill). I got the hood on and it seems to be OK. I'm trying to put the front fenders and grill on and that's where I'm having the problems. I've researched this like crazy and can't find any photos, diagrams,etc. The best I could come up with is to attach the 2 fenders to the grill to hold it all together and slide it into place. I've done this but the problem is a huge, like 1"-2" gap between the top of the fender and the hood. The other problem is because of the subframe change there's nothing to hold the front part of it all on. I realize I'll have to fabricate brackets,etc. I was going to do that once everthing was in place and close (before adjustments) to where it should be. But until I figure out what I'm doing wrong and why there's such a huge gap, I can't make the brackets. I have the inner fenders but they're not attached. I'll have to modify them on the bottom because they hit GM control arms. Again....don't want to cut anything until I'm sure the other stuff is on correctly. Is not having the inner fenders attached (to stiffen it all up) causing the outer fenders to "sag" resulting in the huge gap?

Anybody have any photos of how this is supposed to go together? I tried to explain this the best I could. Any advice would really be appreciated. And go easy on me....first project like this so I'm learning as I go along or at least trying too.

2. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

The entire front clip can be bolted together and then mated to the body. You can trim the inner fender panels as necessary until it all lines up. The hood will not fit tightly to the fender tops.

3. drs47ford

drs47ford
    from Western NY

Thanks for the response Never2old. Approximately how much of a gap will there be between the hood and the fenders? 1/8" ? 1/4"? I have over a 1" gap. You can literally see into the engine compartment.....lol. I'll take your advice and bolt the whole thing together including the inner fenders and see how it fits. Thanks again.

4. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

About 1/4 inch. I missed the part about the GM subframe .....so you don't have the original core support. I think then that you will need to put the hood on and prop it into the correct position ( straight and aligned on the cowl ) then attach an inner / outer fender to the cowl with the 1/4 gap set and temporarily support the front of the fender. You will then know where the core support needs to be relative to the GM subframe. Good luck. John

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

5. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

The hood on our '46 has about 3/8" gap mid way back.
    The reason I suggested assembling the entire clip is that we removed the clip when we wanted to clean up and freshen the engine compartment after buying the car. I can't imagine how else you are going to locate the core support mount.

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. drs47ford

drs47ford
    from Western NY

I'm starting to think that not attaching the inner fenders is what's causing my problems. Will tear it all down and start over this time with the inner fenders in place.
    Been following Koolkemp's build thread (the guy's amazing). Tons of great photos but he never posted anything showing how he attached the front clip. Unless I missed it. I've read and re-read that thread quite a few times. Thanks guys!

8. Mooseandsqurl53

Mooseandsqurl53
    from N.J.

There should be adjustments on your hood hinges. If there's room, play with that. Bolt on the fenders, there's a little adjustment room there too and see if you can come up with a happy medium. As stated before, you'll need to support some parts until you can fabricate mounts. It's the nature of the beast. It only goes together one way. Also, as stated before, write to Koolkemp. If anyone's going to have answers, it'll be him.

9. 48ford

48ford

A problem we all have is the hood fit to the cowl,It is a big problem and a lot of adjusting to get it to fit.
    Don't give up,stop have a drink and try it again
    It will fit but it's a PITA to adjust.
    The gap is not the same on the side of the hood /to fender it is a little wider in the center then the front and rear.
    don't forget the rubber bumpers under the lipon both sides of the hood. This keeps it from rubbing on the fenders.
    good luck
    Russ

10. drs47ford

drs47ford
    from Western NY

Oddly enough the hood seems to fit ok. Lays flat on the cowl...fairly even gap, etc. It's the huge space between the top of the fender and the bottom of the hood that I have to figure out. I can almost get my hand through it...that's how far apart it is....lol. Not giving up just yet. Thanks for the words of encouragement.