Register now to get rid of these ads!

If this is true, it has to be rare

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Waddayacare, Sep 13, 2012.

1. I was doing my morning Craigslist search and found this ad in Charlotte, NC for an old NASCAR built Hudson engine. Is/was there such a thing? The head has ALCOA casted in it and someone stamped "HGD" into it. Either way it's pretty cool!

The guy says:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. i can't say anything about that particular engine but yes hudson DOMINATED nascar in the early 50's and that motor is cool as hell i'd buy it for sure.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Enough time has passed for any Hudson engine to have been a NASCAR engine..yeah...right. Since the guy selling it can't tell a connecting rod from a piston, I would not believe a word of what he says

4. Yea I don't know about that. He wants $1500.00! :eek: That's crazy in my book, but then I'm not into Hudsons. :rolleyes:

5. tbird37821

tbird37821

I bought a 1953 Hudson Hornet for parts and it has a 306 with the same head on it. super power dome, I could be wrong but I think it is a factory head.

6. what no
    Smokey Yunick drilled flywheel?? hidden holes under the ring gear:D
    cheaters always win

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the 50's stock car MEANT stock car, basically just like they came out of the factory. Not the high dollar race only stuff you see today in NASCAR.

FYI, if you find something like this and have an interest, you probably shouldn't advertise the fact that it is in the Charlotte, NC Craigslist ads. This forum has a lot of Hudson fans, and one of them may have already snatched this out from under you.

8. Maybe it's really in Cheyenne Wyoming Ebbsspeed.........

9. Naww, I have no interest in Hudson parts (sorry Hudson H.A.M.B.'ers).

I just thought it was interesting (if true) and H.A.M.B. worthy.

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

No papers = no NASCAR.

11. Super6Dave

Super6Dave

It's a 55 or later block and appears to be a garden variety 308 engine. If it's rebuilable ..worth maybe $200. delivered! It will cost about $3k to remanufacture it. Not freshin.. too late for that! At least that's what i have spent on the last four I have done.

12. Mojo

Mojo

I don't know much about Hudson, but I believe all those things he list are stock parts.

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it powered the UFO that crashed at Roswell, better get it for when the 'Trad' Aliens get here that will be worth ton's!

.............................................Or maybe not?

Doc.

14. Ole don

Ole don

$1500.00 for a pile of broken parts??? Hudson history is neat/ Last month a real Hudson lakester went 211 on the salt, doing it with a real Hudson 7X engine, modified. Does that fact make the broken one worth more?

15. Waddyacare,
    I don't know if that one is the real, deal but they did run the Twin-H way back when. The Hornet was actually competitive on the short track circuite.

16. So I'm guessing that it's safe to say this is just another one of those cases where someone has something for sale, doesn't have a clue what they have, but because it's "old" it must be worth stupid money!

17. squirrel

squirrel

My guess is that he saw "Cars" the movie

18. I was aware that the Hudson was the Charger Daytona of the 50's but without the wing! :D

19. tbird37821

tbird37821

The " Twin H " intake and carbs are worth a few bucks, no breathers though, But not anywhere near 1500 .

20. Yep, probably the case. I haven't gone and looked at the ad but I notice on your pictures that the bare block is not really shown. For that kind of money it should be in near perfect shape.

But now I know what I am going to ask for my Chet Smith mill. I can make it plug 'n' play or let the buyer assemble.:D:D

21. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

I can imagine the internal damage with that broken rod.

22. 41woodie

41woodie

Back when I was just a wee bairn my dad and uncle drag raced Hudsons. Dad's was a '54 Hornet with the Twin H setup, so far as I know and remember the guy has a stock ''performance'' engine. I do remember that the aluminum heads produced a lot of grief because some of the antifreeze available at that time was not aluminum friendly and damaged the head. Something else to look out for if considering the purchase.

23. Did they guy have any documentation to show it's history? If not, then it's probably just a factory stocker with a story (maybe)

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly. if there was documentation that it was in a certain car that was highly competitive at the time and had actually been run at Daytona in a car driven by a name driver and placed in the race it might have value over what the actual going price of the parts would be at a swap meet.

But it's easier to start high and have people think you are nuts for asking that price then start low and still have guys call and try to lowball you on the phone.

25. Other than the head that thing looks just like my Plymouth 218. Even the distributor looks the same other than the Hudson tag.

26. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

That and i think gold was Smokeys paint color of choice for engines. Anybody who buys it should have the crankshaft stroke checked to see if it's been offset ground because that was one of Smokeys favorite tricks when the NASCAR rule book said "no stroker cranks".:p

27. Hummm....

Interesting strategy!

I like it! :D

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Any buyer is going to want to see where the other end of that connecting rod is or was... I suspect its relationship with the block might have been unpleasant.

29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Benno.........Is that like a Bridgeport?? :confused:

Ray :)

30. squirrel

squirrel

mill? that's an engine, in this context