Register now to get rid of these ads!

paint sealer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatmotor40, Sep 13, 2012.

1. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Is it best to use sealer before color or does it not matter Thanks

2. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

seal it. better adhesion, uniformity, peace of mind. tint the sealer (if possible) as close to your color as you can, you'll use less paint, less time, less $$$. have at it.

3. I agree with Ed...
    Get the sealer that the paint company who made your paint recommends - do not mix brands!!
    Most sealers will not only give color uniformity and improve adhesion of your color, but they will often act as a barrier to anything that would have otherwise became a problem if you apply color over what is there now. I am talking about stuff like sand scratch swelling, lifting, a halo appearing around a repair area... Most sealers will prevent that type of thing, to be sure ask the guy you bought your paint from or call the tech line for the paint company you are using to be sure their sealer will do this.
    Do the homework now - it sucks to have to do this kind of thing over....

4. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Absolutely seal it. I don't know why a lot of guys tend to skip over this step, but for less headaches in the long run, "Just do it".

5. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

ed hit the nail on the head

6. kracker36

kracker36

You can even get a sealer that is ready to spray----meaning that no catalyst has to be applied. It is fairly cheap extra insurance and to me is well worth it.

7. fisher

fisher

I agree that a sealer is very important. Learned that on my first full paint job. Cost me a lot of extra work and money. I now have a project that was originally black, I have used black primers in the prep and plan to paint it gloss black for the tinal coat. Would it be needed in this case to use a black sealer?

8. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Ed's spot on. I've had real good luck with transtar sealer big window for ur base quality adhesion

9. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I got the sealer yesterday and today I will do the under hood then do the rest of the jams first,Thanks

10. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

One more question if I don't have time to color over do I have to reseal the next day or just scotchbrite it and shoot color then.Doing this in my garage.

11. kracker36

kracker36

I have wet sanded it with 600 after sitting for a while. This also helps reduce work when its time to cut and buff the clear coat later.

12. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I use House Of Kolor and they have a 3 hour max time limit. I see no good reason to wait any longer anyway. I shoot sealer, wait an hour, check for dust or dirt in the sealer and proceed with base.

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're better off to wait until you spray color, especially if it's a non-sanding sealer. I couldn't imagine having to scotchbrite a firewall. I'm kinda lazy like that. You can seal with many different products. A reduced epoxy primer makes a great sealer. Some allow as much as 5-7 days and still be non-sanding when used this way, but 72hrs is the limit in my book. I like to seal with epoxy 1 day, spray color the next. dustyolbodyman is right, as in it prevents excess solvent penetration. In plain english, it sucks when that happens.

14. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Shot under hood yesterday and turned out fine just 2 good coats of black and then 2 coats clear.Before on underside of body had to do 4 coat black to cover gray primer.The place i bought primer didn't have dark primer and still had hard time covering it