Register now to get rid of these ads!

New rear for the 37

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TOM O'CONNELL, Sep 12, 2012.

1. TOM O'CONNELL

TOM O'CONNELL
    from VIRGINIA

Ok, so I tried out my new drag radials on the 37 chevy coupe, dumped the clutch @ about 5 grand and twisted the trifive rear so the pinion was pointing @ the floor:eek: Oh well, time for a 9 inch I guess. The rear springs were worn out too, they were put in in 67 when the car was first built. So I go with a TCI rear leaf spring kit. Fixed the frame where it was built in 67, installed the spring mounts per instructions and went to check the dimensions there looking for 42 1/4 +- 1/8 front and rear center to center, front is dead on, rear is 3/8 to narrow. Is this really gonna effect the track? Now I haven't set the spring pads on the rear housing yet so thats really not an issue as I can put them where they need to be. I suppose I could elongate the holes on the left rear spring mount which I suspect it the culprit,(the car was wacked in the back pretty hard back in 2005) but I'm really not crazy about that idea. Am I being to picky? or should I keep workin it to make it perfect?

2. A lot of cars have the rear "parallel" leafs that are not actually parallel. Typically the front is slightly less wide than the rear. Like this exaggerated: / \

On your car will it matter? probably not. The main thing is for the rearend to be square with the front, so your car does not crab down the road.

Did the tri-five housing break free from the axle pads?

3. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

yeah im not understanding why you need a 9 inch? cant you just put on new pads?

4. TOM O'CONNELL

TOM O'CONNELL
    from VIRGINIA

Well the spring pads are still there but they have to same contour as the tubes! In addition, the right side axle tube caved in 3/4 inch under the pad. I'm gonna put some more steam under the hood this winter so I kinda wanted to go with a 9 anyway. I guess I'm using the housing failure as an excuse to upgrade. Sooo, anybody need an excellent condition 4:11 posi,Pcase trifive 3rd member? I happen to have an extra now!

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You are smart to upgrade to a stronger rear now. Why have a hard running car with a weak link that may give you headaches later. What are your plans..........31, 35, or 40 spline axles ?

I had a 68 Mustang drag car that I reshaped the mounting pads exactly as you did. It had a 9 incher in it but the 11 inch M & H slicks caused it to rotate upward and the driveshaft split in half. :eek: A little disconcerting when that happens, isn't it ? :D

Don

6. TOM O'CONNELL

TOM O'CONNELL
    from VIRGINIA

Disconcerting...great word for it but a little louder! Already have a 31 spline complete 9 inch with aftermarket axles, 1/2 inch studs trutrac posi I bought off e-pay. Luclily the guy only lived a couple hours from me so no shipping!

7. squirrel

squirrel

Do a diagonal measurement between the ends of the leaf springs.

also....a friend built a 37 chevy, using a parallel leaf kit, and when he put the car together after painting the frame, one wheel was too far forward. Turns out he swapped the springs side to side...and they were different lengths....beware of poorly made leaf spring kits

8. TOM O'CONNELL

TOM O'CONNELL
    from VIRGINIA

Did that too, lr to rf was shorter that rr to lf:confused:

9. squirrel

squirrel

did you measure the frame diagonally?

10. TOM O'CONNELL

TOM O'CONNELL
    from VIRGINIA

What points should I measure the frame from?

11. TOM O'CONNELL

TOM O'CONNELL
    from VIRGINIA

The body is still on the frame, what points should I measure from?

12. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drag racing - the most expensive method of locating the weakest link in the drive train................!

13. squirrel

squirrel

Here's the manual

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1938/38csm051.html

You can measure at any points that would be the same on both sides, use a plumb bob and make lines on the floor or something

If you can figure out if the frame is bent, or the suspension points are in different places, you can maybe figure out how to fix it. Sometimes it doesn't take much with a portapower to get a diamond shaped frame square again. Might depend on what the front suspension is like, though.

14. TOM O'CONNELL

TOM O'CONNELL
    from VIRGINIA

Good info Squirrel, thanks!

15. I put a Ford 9" in my 38 Chevy coupe years ago. I also had a Chevy 55-64 rear end and broke several, mostly spider gears. Back when you could buy a pumkin for 50 bucks at a swap meet it wasn't a problem but I got tired of changing them. So I went with a Ford 9". I also changed from a clutch that was very hard to use on the street. It was just too strong and killed my left leg. When top fuel dragsters and funny cars went from a 2 speed to a 1 speed trany and let the clutch slip it made sense to me so I put a stock chevy 11" clutch in, it slips a little but now it dosn't break anything. If you have a lot of horse power something will break and if aint the rearend it might be the Muncy T-10 next. I didn't want and cant afford to change the trany so I like knowing the clutch might slip a little and saves the parts. The stock clutch just dosn't hit as violently. I don't race my car. Well maybe a few times I get on it at the right place and time.