Register now to get rid of these ads!

Window seal replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by repeater, Sep 12, 2012.

1. repeater

repeater

Hey everyone...tried to search on this but couldn't find much. I've got a 50' Pontiac 2dr Chieftain and the wiper seals on the outside of all the roll-down windows are shot / and or gone, and the metal strips that go down in there are popping out. I've done a lot of things on cars over the years but I've never messed with changing any of these seals and frankly don't know much of anything about them on older vehicles. I looked on chevs of the 40's and found several kits to change all the seals out - but my question is how difficult of a job is this? Do the windows need to be removed in order to get to the seals?

Any help or guidance to places for help is greatly appreciated. I can usually google search and find something or youtube some videos and I'm finding nothing.

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

3. on some cars you don't have to remove the windows, some you just have to remove the stops to lower the glass a little more. most use a couple screws embedded in the "wiskers" at either end. i think those use clips that slide down into slots. small pop rivets can be used [if there is room] to install if you paint them black.

4. fiddychevy

fiddychevy
    from pa

Just did my 50 chevy. I put the seals on without removing the windows. The outside ones go on with a couple of small screws(close to the glass, but do-able) The inside ones screw to the trim ring

5. repeater

repeater

Awesome. Did you do the rear seat windows too, or do you have a 4dr?

I'm just really worried about the outside ones leaking water down into the doors more than anything. Thanks!

6. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Steele Rubber Products might be able to help you, they have tons of window stuff.