Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Mack - Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Low-Blow, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

Thanks for the input guys. I am not necessarily a "truck guy", but it is what I have at this time. I'm not terribly worried about the resale value of the truck, because I am in it way right. I definitely want to get the engine running and then take it from there. There have been some good suggestions on here as far as a bed for it. My original thoughts were to just put a flat bed on it. Then, I got to thinking maybe a stake bed. I'm sure my thoughts will change before that time comes. Keep the suggestions and comments coming if you will.

2. kombi66

kombi66
    from stockto ca

Panella Trucking in Stockton Ca restored a early mack a 50'something model looks real good

3. jazz1

jazz1

Does the truck have the same green interior as the b models? Just be careful,,guy I sold mine to bought 4 more since, and not one of them is on the road.,just one can start a habit.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. appaRATus

appaRATus

If it was mine and since I know a little bit about those old Mack trucks, first thing I would do is pull that gas burning Thermodyne and replace it with something a little more modern. You pretty much can't find any parts for them and if you do find them they will be very high in cost.
    Don't get me wrong, a full blooded Mack is cool and that 510 was/is a good motor but it took me over two years to find a water pump for one and it cost me just a little over a $500. and you can forget about finding a distributer cap for it.
    If you ever have any questions about it feel free to pm me, I will be glad to try and help.

5. May Pop

May Pop

http://www.aths.org/
    Another place Im a member. Tons of great info. Try the Road kill Cafe.

Ron

6. Normbc9

Normbc9

Nice rig. Strong runners too. Maxi Dyne? Here is my Hall-Scott powered '49 Sterling.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

7. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Cool old truck. I was watching it on CL for awhile myself. I kinda figured there was enough iron on the drilling rig to sell for scrap to help offset the initial cost. It would be cool to see the old Thermodyne running again, but if you decide to go with a different engine give me a holler. I might be interested in it.

Also, Rob and the guys at BMT are great http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/

BTW: I don't know what parts you need but there was an "A" cab at 3 Star Truck Parts in Ferris awhile back.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  8. willymakeit

willymakeit

Check Scott Salvage at Homansville Mo.
    They had one sitting over on the south side of the yard in the farm equipment area.

9. I can barely type because I can't get my laptop to lay flat in my lap. :eek: It's high school all over again.

There is a guy in this area that has one that he put on a newer diesel chassis with single wheel axles. If I'm not mistaken, I believe its a 4x4 as well. You would never know by looking at it. It shines like a new penny.

Awesome truck man. :D

10. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

any updates? loving to see the changes you have made so far.

11. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Very cool truck. I wouldn't do anything at all in the bed area for now. I would just get everything else in good working order and then work on cosmetics. You are gonna have enough ahead of you just getting all that metal real estate under control. So many ways to go with this...

1. Basically get it functional again and sort of a quickie down and dirty clean paint, repair job. Sort of like some of the entry level early tractors at the fair. Quickest, cheapest, probably just as fun as the others...

2. Medium restoration, rust repair, passenger fender, going through everything, nice paint, sort of like the higher level tractors at the fair. Big fun. Some quantity of money and time.

3. Consider modernizing... Here is where might go Non-HAMB and maybe out of control, but it could likely be kept in the same categories as number 1 and 2 above.

4. What I would do... I would pursue number 1 above it if can be done at reasonable cost. Super clean. Minor body repairs and spot in paint. Clean and paint the chassis and frame. Check over the steering and brakes. Drive it for awhile and have fun. THEN: Non-Hamb or not, I would consider buying an old 1 ton plus package diesel truck and swap over as much as possible from the forward drivetrain.

5. Towards the very END of the project I would consider what bed to use. Too many ideas that could be cool there, but I like the idea of a simple flat bed with nice stake sides or a CAMPER body custom built on the back.

Subscribed and looking forward to your updates!

12. outlaw256

outlaw256

im not a truck driver,only time i was ever in one was when i use to hitchhike across country but for some reason i likem, the old ones lol. i got a f600 that is in the late 40 early 50. i dont rmrmber right now. and thats a f6.anyway we plan on droppin in a 460 and c6 and make her a ramp truck for haulin our cars around on.good luck with yours.we will be watchin.

13. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

Here's a little update on the truck. I pulled the plugs and sprayed the cylinders with PB Blaster. I put the plugs back in and let it soak for a few days. Then I pulled the plug and hooked up a set of jumper cables to the starter post. i bumped it a couple of times. It turned a little and then stopped. I pulled the plugs and sprayed more PB Blaster in them. I had to go out of town, so it was able to sit for a week. This afternoon, I pulled the plugs, crawled under the truck and turned the flywheel with a screwdriver. The engine rolled 360 with no resistance. So, I hooked the jumper cables back up to the starter and bumped it a few times. When it appeared that it was going to turn freely, I let her spin for a few seconds. Again, the engine turns with no hang ups. That's where I am at to this point. The next step is to get some clean gas and see if I can get the engine to crank. I will post more as I make progress.

I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. @redlinetoys: Since I am still learning, I will be opting for #1. As soon as I know that the engine will start and run, I am going to address the safety issues such as steering and brakes. Once those issues are handled, I plan on pulling the cab to clean and prep the frame rails and underbody for paint. I will then tackle the metal work on the cab. I do have the passenger side fender. It is rough, but it is there. I also have the headlights that are super cool. The bed will be the very last item that I address. A lot of nice ideas have been thrown around so far. We'll have to see which way I decide to take it.

Just so that you will have something to look at, I pulled an inspection cover off of the bottom of the transmission. I now know where all of the seat cushioning went to:eek:

Attached Files:

14. oj

oj

I grew up with them old Macks, i don't think i've seen that body style - we had B40's up thru B63's.
    Gotta love an old truck.

15. jazz1

jazz1

Hope you are using a 6 volt battery or you are turning your gauges to junk

16. My shop owns this truck. B53 mack. 1964 I believe. Suppose to be a single screw. It was converted to tandams at some point. Also was originally a 3 yard cement mixer. 672 N/A diesel. Duplex with twin 4 inch stacks and no mufflers. It went thru a total restoration when the shop bought it for an advertisment piece. Super sweet to drive too. Gets alot of looks. It cruises Metro Cruise every year in Grand Rapids Michigan. I have a ton of time into it as well as alot of other mechanics at our shop. We did everything from front to back including paint work at our body shop.

Attached Files:

17. ChefMike

ChefMike

Thats a very cool project enjoy and cant wait to see more !

18. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

Cool truck!
    I notice you're in Paradise Texas. My 1957 B model Mack came from Ponder Texas, only about 30 miles from you.

[​IMG]

19. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

@jazz1 - Just to turn the engine, I bypassed all electrical and hooked directly to the starter post. The engine has a 12V generator. I assumed everything is 12V. Am I wrong?

@whiskeyridgeracer - That truck is very cool. You guys should be proud to cruise that.

@jim SS409 - Yes, we are just down the road from Ponder. Your truck is killer. I wouldn't mind it if mine took on a similar look! Thanks for sharing.

No real updates on the truck. I have been very busy with work. I will post more as I find time to mess with it.

20. Nice MACK!!! Love the B models
    Low- blow yours is sweet too! good luck it will be worth it

21. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Very Cool! having been a heavy truck and equipment mechanic my entire adult life. I've long dreamed of a project like this, but my living situation does not allow for such a LARGE hobby. I've many time caught myself daydreaming at work of swapping in a Road Ranger trans and a Cummins Big Cam engine in a vintage Mack, Pete, or KW.

22. littlediesel

littlediesel

That was a Peterbilt if I recall correctly. As for the Mack stick with the air brakes becuase they stop better than juice brake and are more reliable. If you put a diesel in it don't put a pickup motor in it. Big truck need big engine. There are a lot of Int'l trucks with the DT466 and auto trans (plus they already have the air compressor attached:cool:). Its only 466 ci but its a heavy duty type engine unlike a pickup (med. duty). Been a long time but I think they hold 28qts of oil. Oh, uh, Gasserfreak, a Cummins BC and a Roadranger might be a tight fit in an old Mack but KW or Pete may fit it.

23. jazz1

jazz1

You were thinking ahead? I was assuming the truck to be 6 volt but if there is a 12 volt generator likely been converted.. I know I was surprised to find my 65 Mack had been converted to 12volt however I did not keep the truck long enough to find out if all electrical had been done correctly. Are the wiper motors, heater motor etc 6 volt,

24. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

As a mechanic and a Hot Rodder, I have to say, "I can make it fit". LOL. Love your signature by the way. Having learned diesel on 6 & 8v92's and 71's that has run more racks than I can count I can honestly say, the clipboard is your friend.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  25. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I dig old trucks... That thing is awsome...

26. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

I like it. You might want to spin it over a few times without plugs in the holes to loosen it up . I found that works to get things oiled up and moving again

27. tjmercury

tjmercury

Really cool truck, always had a soft spot for macks

28. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Low-Blow,

I like your new project. I have been in the truck repair bussiness for 45 years and have probaly painted at least 20 of those trucks in the late 60's.

I once had a 24 AutoCar Cab Over that I was restoring but in talking with other Auto Car owners, I sold it as it was not the kind of thing that you could get into and drive for 20 miles to a car show.

This leads up to your expectations of what you want to do with it. I curently own a 56 F750 that has a 5 speed trans that is dificult to drive. When shifting out of 3rd gear at 3500 rpms, it goes into high gear at only 1200 rpms, making it very hard to make it up a hill with out red lineing the engine. (3700 rpms)

I have a 454 Chevy with an automatic trans that I am thinking of instaling, but that would ruin the whole essence of it.

So our problem is simply, do we want the experiance of an old truck, or do we want to drive a new one? If so, why did we bother with an old truck in the first place?

In your case, I would soak the carb in penetrating oil for a while and then disasemble it to simply clean it and get the float valve working. (The penetrating oil will help in preventing the gaskets from breaking during disasembling.

Use a fresh gas line and an electric fuel pump from a clean source of gas. Make sure that you have a good spark and then get the engine running. You will now be encouraged to continue, and will have the ability to move it around.

If you have rot in the lower doors, it is one of easiest doors to re-panel. Simlpy bend up the edges of a 16 ga. sheet of metal 1/2" on three sides. Place on the door up to the moulding line, apply sealer under the panel on the top seam and then hammer and dolly the front and back edges over on to the door edge, Tack weld edges only, smooth the seam sealer with your finger and you are done, time taken, 1 hour.

29. Just remember with that 510 Thermodyne you will get about 2 miles to the gallonand cruse about 40-45 miles an hour. Your arms will get tired of shifting. I owned a 65 B model with a 673 Thermodyne ( 185 hp )and a Quad box, you would roll about 8 feet then shift in the lower ranges.

Lee

30. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

Had a couple of hours to work on the truck today. I pulled what was left of the seats out and cleaned up what the rats had left behind. My objective was to pull the fuel tank so that I can get it cleaned out. I ran into a little snag with the center cross bracket. There are three bolts in the front of the bracket with nuts that are almost impossible to get to. Since I wanted to make the most of my limited time, I decided to move to the floor board area. I was able to get the floor plate out. There is one small section that will need to be patched on the plate itself. There is a hole in the floor of the cab that will need some attention, as well as both rockers. I haven't learned how insert the images where they are large and to where I can post comments in between. So, they are listed below.

Attached Files: