Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Olds 98 Followed me Home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Erkenbrand, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

I found this last weekend, and just had to bring it home. Kind of like a lost puppy, it needs a lot of care.

It appears to be all there except one piece of trim, the rear bumper and the lenses from the front bumper. From the back story and the odometer, I'm pretty sure it really does just have 88,000 miles on it. The motor fired right up and ran like a dream, but I'm having a little problem with it now. I'm pretty sure the ignition wires are in poor shape and need to be fixed.

Two years ago, the previous owner had the generator rebuilt and replaced most of the ignition system. He didn't bother with the power line from the battery, or the trigger wires.

He also replaced all of the wheel cylinders and ran new brakes lines. The master cylinder is shot, but he couldn't fix that. He has a bad back and just couldn't lay on the ground to get to it.

He found a wiring problem with the passenger headlight. All of the other lights on the car worked, but that one. He discovered somebody had monkeyed with it before, and he just gave up.

So, my first priority is to get it running and rolling down the road. Brakes, ignition and lights need to be cleaned up for that. Then, I'm going to dig into the body work. The floors are pretty beat, and the rockers needs some attention. They're not yet totally gone, but definitely need to be helped.

I'm looking forward to bringing this car back to its former glory!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. birdman42

birdman42

Looks like you have a new labor of love.

3. dad-bud

dad-bud

Congrats on your new companion - it looks like it's going to be quite demanding, but take it one step at a time and it'll be fun.
    Keep posting updates please.
    Cheers.

4. DrJ

DrJ

Hind sight tells me I shouldn't have junked my straight no rust one for $20 but that's hind sight. I should have bought the 300SL gullwing tha thiat the tree and bent the grill a little for $1200 too.

5. lawman

lawman

Nics start !!! Keep us up on it.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Never seen a 98 with a 2bbl before as they usually had a 4 bbl.

7. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

My 52 has a 4 bbl, I thought all the 98's did. Looks like you have a good start. Rockers are available on Ebay. I just put a pair on mine this week. They fit pretty good, but be prepared to do a little fabricating. I'm having fun with mine. Going to start to lower it next week.
    Tom

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      517.7 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      472.6 KB
      Views:
  8. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Keep us updated on this one. Cool save!
    J

9. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Congrats! Cool

10. slim tempo

slim tempo

11. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

Cool, looks like a good start to a nice Olds .Those cars have good lines but you dont see many people doing them ,

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I had a couple 53 88 2 door sedans years ago and would like to build another again but this time a 2 door hard top.

13. Easyspeed

Easyspeed
    from USA

these must be starting to rise up from the grave... If things go right, I should be nabbing a 53' 98 2 door hardtop this weekend! 303 4 barrel aswell.
    Does anyone know if the bodies where different from the 88 and the 98. I just haven't seen many of either of them. 98's look longer.?

14. BJR

BJR

98's are longer and use the same body as the big Buicks and Cads.

15. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I have a 1952 Oldsmobile 98. They are very unique cars. The previous owner of my car told me there were only 48 of the Holiday coupes registered in the whole country. I've seen many 88s since I bought mine but not another 98.

As far as differences between the 88 & 98 models. I believe I read somewhere that the extra length of the 98 is made up mostly in the area between the back window and the trunk lid.

My buggy.

[​IMG]

Have fun with it. They are worth the work.

Jay

16. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

When I went to check this one out I thought it was an 88. When I got there and saw it was a 98 I was surprised.

I was wondering about the 4bbl too. From what I've read and the others I've seen in '53 it should be a 4bbl, but knowing the people who had it I'm sure nobody messed with the motor. Maybe Olds had this one roll out with the 2bbl. I'd honestly like to set it up with a 4bbl at some point, but I'm not worried about it right now. I need to get the body straight and it driving nicely before I dig into that.

I also need to get rid of the helpers in the back. It has a nice 'aggressive' stance now with the extra coil springs over the shocks. You can tell it was farm owned and they needed the extra carrying capacity. :)

If anybody has a line on bumpers, please let me know. I don't have a back one at all, and that front one will take more than I'm willing to invest to get chrome again.

17. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

One thing I forgot to mention - my wife loves the car. It's amazing how much that helps keep the project moving forward. :)

18. jose_luis

jose_luis

i got the front and rear bumpers,doors,clock,radio,trunk lib rear glass and trim parts for your car

19. scotzz

scotzz

Good to see another moredoor being saved....

20. she's purty. what are the big plans? are you gonna chop it? lower it? a de soto or 54 Chebby grille would fit quite nicely in there.

21. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

I'm not really sure for the big plans. Step 1: get it street legal and see how long it takes to eat up those new tires. :)

Then, I'll address the floor and rocker rust. Down the road it will need to be lowered a bit. Chopping it could be an option, but I'm not sure if I'm up for tackling that job with four doors and all of those vent windows. :cool:

I hadn't thought of those grills. Hmmmm, good point.

22. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

like the car, i have a 98 olds myself i am redoing. its nice to see more people redoing moredoors also.

23. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

There are some cars that definitely look better as 2 doors, but I really think the 98 looks classy in 4. Has that 'executive' feeling. And it's easier to pile in with friends and family. :)

24. Meditrome

Meditrome

:)All the glass is there, trim, stock motor...... Flush it, new fluids, lights, brakes, new gas.........Drive it till the wheels fall off. Then Chop it.

25. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

Pretty much the right plan. :D

26. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

I've begun digging in, and already having fun. There's nothing like a couple of years sunk to the rockers to freeze some lug nuts! After soaking them in PB Blaster for a couple of days, and then applying a lot of heat you can see the result:

[​IMG]

Looks like a lot of pressing and new studs in my future. ;)

27. grapp

grapp

could be wrong.... left hand thread on one side, right hand on the other.......

28. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

WTH - it's worth trying. I'll report back later tonight. :)

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It has right and left hand threads.

30. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Yes it does. It surprised me when I went to remove the wheels on mine. Bet they'll come right off if you turn them the right way, lol!
    Tom