Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1954 Ford Ranchero

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deek, Sep 11, 2012.

1. deek

deek
    from Tulare,CA

I've been wanting to build a 54 Ranchero for a while now. It all started about 3 years ago when I was looking for 52-54 Fords for parts and ended up with 2 wagons, 2 Ford sedans and 2 Merc sedans. None of them that complete or nice, but I figured with 6 cars, you should be able to build at least one right?!

I'm starting with a 2 door wagon and using the wrap around sedan rear glass. I told my friend John about my plan and he found this pic and e-mailed it to me.

Attached Files:

2. deek

deek
    from Tulare,CA

I pulled the body and hammered out the big dents and sent it and the frame to the blasters. Here's some before shots.

Attached Files:

3. deek

deek
    from Tulare,CA

Now it would be fun enough to just convert it to a Ranchero, so after some rocker panel work, a mild 1-1/2" section was next. And after remarking it about a dozen times, here's what I came up with

Attached Files:

4. deek

deek
    from Tulare,CA

And this is what happened after my buddy Jerrad and I went after it with some cut off wheels

Attached Files:

5. deek

deek
    from Tulare,CA

Back on with the top half of the body and mocked up with the door. That's where it's at so far. Drivers door, fenders and wheel wells are next. After that, it's time for the top. And that's when I'll know if I ruined a wagon or not :D

Deek

Attached Files:

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Lot's of cool pictures on Google Images under "1955 Ford Ute" I thought this pic was a winner. Also since you will have some leftovers from the parts cars,maybe pic#2 might be next?? :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  7. I'll be following this build. HRP

8. Gotzy

Gotzy

This one is going to be fun, sub'd in

9. Rikster

Rikster

Sectioning an inch and a half.... and using and sedan rear window!!!
    Now you have my attention!

This will be very interesting to watch.

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Beautiful so far. I like the fact you are using the stock suspension.

11. What no glass top? I kid I kid. Pretty cool so far.

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

well, judging by the section job, i'd say your ranch' conversion will go quite nicely.

you did that section job so well that it's hard to believe you made enough cuts to do it.

can't wait to see where this goes.

13. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! I think you're going to be disappointed with the way the sedan back glass flows, I think a better choice would re-use the rear portion of the station wagon roof or maybe use the back panel from a mid '50 chevy truck. At this point it would be easy to take some pictures of your car, print out a few copies then "cut and paste" until you like what you see. Best of luck with your project, Mike.

14. I agree that the sedan rear window just doesn't lend itself to a ranchero rear glass. The wagon glass would look better with more correct proportions. The wraparound glass is just too large and round for a short cab.

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

16. Stoke 49 Ute

Stoke 49 Ute

mine is coustom cut glass it's flat so pretty easy to install

Attached Files:

17. Joey7319

Joey7319

49 ute, thats one cool ride you have. I dig it.

18. Squablow

Squablow

I like the concept and I think you did a fantastic job with the sectioning so I'm sure the metalwork execution will be top notch.

I'm not going to question your plans for a rear window but I will say that there are some really talented photoshop artists on the HAMB who could knock out a couple quick renderings of what it will look like with the sedan window versus wagon window versus something from a donor truck.

Seeing what it will look like done really gives an inspiration to finish it, but also sometimes makes you change your mind on the direction you want to take it.

Also, I've heard that a Victoria windshield is an inch or two shorter than a sedan windshield and can be used in a mild chop without cutting the glass. Not sure if you'd planned anything like that but might be worth mentioning.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

19. nice cutting ! Glass top ? I kike that Idea.

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

I love the mild section job, too often guys take way too much out, but I think you nailed it! As for the back window I am not a big fan of using the sedan backlight...why not post some pics in the massive photoshop thread, and ask if some of the guys could do some different renderings for you..I am looking forward to following your progress!!

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Neat ride Stoke! I would love to see some build pics!

22. Jims35

Jims35

Looking good and i plan to follow the progress.:cool:

23. Stoke 49 Ute

Stoke 49 Ute

49 biz coup was sectioned 4 inches 25 years ago then sat in front of a body shop in FL then years later was chopped 3 inches and cut into a Ranchero there it sat till i found it 5 years ago and did all the running gear

24. Looking great so far....I'll be following along.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This might just get interesting, I'm in to follow along.

26. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

I like how you've sectioned it. I'll follow along to see what you do with it.

27. afaulk

afaulk

That sectioning job will have folks scratching their heads "now whats different about this"

28. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

love that,,,,great job on the section...heres a 56 crown vic ranchero i owned a few years back,,,purchased in primer and had it sprayed pearl white w/ red flaked roof, lowered it, added skirts,,,sold it to some guy in virginia

Attached Files:

29. deek

deek
    from Tulare,CA

Thanks for the input guys!

I did think about that! But it's too long and would interfere with the slope into the sedan back glass.

I know that using the sedan back glass is a gamble and may seem odd, but I forgot to mention that the top is getting a fairly heavy chop. The chop will help flatten out, or de-bubble, the top. The only problem with a heavy chop is that the lower half of the body will start to look tall, but the 1-1/2" section just too care of that ;)

30. deek

deek
    from Tulare,CA

I like it!

Kustom7777- do you have a pic of the rear window?