Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the baddest 2bbl Carb for my flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PackardWood, Aug 26, 2012.

1. I never owned a '74 Charger, but I did own a '53 Merc that had never slept with a foot ball player. (not to say that your girl did, a couple of mine did)

Mrs 'Beaner used to work for a woman that was a total ass, once when she bought me a very expensive pair of one off heads her boss said, " Why do you let him spend all that money on cars." Her response was , "Well, he doesn't drink or sleep around, he's gotta have something to do with his spare time." That cost her a job. You can read into it anything you want. :eek:

Nothing wrong with being proud of an old car, it takes a little pride to build one and drive it, at least that has been my experience.

2. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Yeah I will keep an eye out for those parts, is is a 288 so not much potential, just looking for a little more umpf is all, that is AFTER I fix all of the stuff that really need it first! They can close this thread now if they want to... Thanks all!

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Best thing to do is get a stock rebuild from Carbking and be happy. Give the engine a tuneup and let it surprise you how that baby rolls once she gets moving. You may be impressed how well that whale performs with "only" 125HP. The long stroke motor with its high torque, performs a lot better than a modern motor at low to medium speeds. Besides, the car is a lot lighter than it looks. About the same as a modern Ford Taurus or one of the Japanese luxury sedans, no kidding.

It is always a bad idea to hop up an engine that old, unless you rebuild it completely. Many an old engine that would have gone on for years, has blown sky high as soon as someone tried to hop it up.

Try it stock first. Then if you really want to build a performance flathead there are a couple of threads over here that cover the subject pretty thoroughly.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=12

I lean towards the use of a centrifugal supercharger like the McCulloch or Paxton. Yes they are expensive, but speed equipment for a Packard is super expensive and almost impossible to get. A supercharger will give you 25% to 40% more HP, which is all a typical hop up will give you, with only one modification and it does not kill your smooth idle, flexibility and low speed performance.

4. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

@ Rusty That WOULD be the ticket.....Hmmmmm a supercharged Packard.....just SOUNDS like a bad idea....I like it!

5. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Holly Weber progressive two barrell would be my choice. I can't remember the model but it might be 5200

6. rocknroad

rocknroad
    1. SoCal HAMBers

Ok just my 2 cents...2100 carb is the way to go. Reliable, plentiful and cheap. You can get a bigger or smaller one as needed. I'm running a 230 dodge motor. I put one on it not rebuilt just to get linkage ect figured out....it idles so smooth it may be a little quiet!

The thing doesn't leak, the annular discharge seems to really make a difference on a flathead that doesn't flow so well anyway. I have a feeling the gas mileage will be good too. 4x4 guys have been swapping their Rochester's for the 2100 with better mileage and better throttle response.

There are adapters available. I made an adapter with help from a shop. Mine went from a 1bbl to 2bbl and made quite a difference. I would think small 2bbl to to 2100 would be even better.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Packard experimented with the McCulloch supercharger on their straight eights. The supercharger was put on the market in 1953 so these experiments must have taken place in 1953 and 54. Then they introduced their big OHV V8 in 55 so who needed a supercharger. In other words they had them on the test track ( a friend has pictures in a Packard book) but never put them in the showroom.

However, the last Packards, the 57 58 models with Studebaker V8s, came with McCulloch superchargers.

I suggest you rebuild the engine first then keep your eyes open for a cheap Paxton supercharger. They sold a lot of them for Mustangs and they show up used on Ebay, Craigslist etc.

If you were into the whole restoration kick, the old McCulloch would look more "period correct".

9. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Yeah when it does get rebuilt, it WILL have a charger (McCullochs have got to be pricey as hell! I would love to have one tho!) AND the Packard overdrive bolt on. Maybe 2or3 2bbls too not sure what a blown 288 would need tho. I would settle for "runs" right now tho....

10. You can probably buy a good core WGD for under $20 on eBay, I have piles of old carbs along those lines and they weren't even worth the time to try to list there, they sell for so little. Buy a couple and get a rebuild kit and rebuild one.

11. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

List them on here or on the PAC site or on the Packard info site, they will sell. Do you in your pile have two matching complete ones for fellow HAMBer and NYer? (NCer these days) 3 matching ones if you have em' and the price is right as sooner or later I will be running two and would like to have a spair. Rebuilding them is no problem.

12. I looked up all those carbs at one point and I don't think any two were an exact match, lots of WDOs, WDBs, late 40s Olds and Pontiac carbs, a couple Stromberg AAVs, and a bunch of 1-bbls. Most good cores because they'd been stored inside cars and I keep them inside, but just old used carbs. I've been selling them here and there at swaps so I'm not even sure what's left.

Right now about half the crates are buried in my van for one more car show this Sunday and a few crates are up to the storage unit, I could paw through those and have the excuse to pick up some other stuff for the show.

13. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

k, let me know.

14. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Hands down, rochester 2g, either small or large. Best carb ever made. Use them on everything in one form or another with amazing results. Just put one on a merc flathead in a shoebox that had sat since '67, fired right up and ran (and smelled) great!