Register now to get rid of these ads!

Maverick Rear Axle Vent

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shawn F., Sep 11, 2012.

1. This is probably a very stupid question but I am trying to wrap up my 49 Ford here this month and one thing I need to complete is the rear end... I got most of it done including the brake lines but noticed I am missing the vent bolt in the rear end that also bolts the brake line T to the center piece or axle housing... Any idea where to get this bolt and the size/dimensions?
    Thanks a lot for any info/help!

2. they are 7/16" fine thread. i don't know if ford parts still has them , you will probably have to fine one on a rear in a junkyard. or make your own out of a bolt. i never use them since i don't use the stock brake hose and usually move the location

3. What do you use if you don't use them? Thanks!

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

The last one I used didn't have the stock piece but I found a connector for the brake lines at Napa and bolted it on with a fitting that accepts a hose and simply wrapped it under the right side brake line. Speedway also sells a vent for just what you're trying to do if your brake plumbing is completed.

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Take a 7/16 fine bolt drill a 1/8 hole through it ,drill a shallow 7/16 hole in bolt head solder or JW Weld that or similar breather in it. A few minutes lathe work ,you DO have a lathe ??

6. No lathe unfortunately...

7. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've taken a 7/16" bolt, drilled the small vent hole, then drilled a hole the corect size for a 1/8" NPT just deep enough to get some threads. I think after I started the threads with a regulat pipe tap I used a second tap that some of the starter threads had been removed to get good threads in the shallow hole. Then installed a 1/8" NPT sintered bronze vent into the top of the bolt.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I threaded a barbed fitting in mine, and ran a hose up to the frame above the rear end away from any pinch points and made a loop in it..problem solved

it just has to allow the housing to vent due to heat build up, and cool down after running down the road...not rocket science..no super special parts, or crazy need for a machining degree

9. oldolds

oldolds

Use a regular bolt to bolt the brake lines. Drill a hole in the housing and push in a plastic breather. They will pop out of most rears.

10. Sounds easy enough guys, thanks for the info! I will just drill a hole in the bolt and go from there as far as finishing it off with a hose, vent or breather. (I've seen the breather method before now that I think about it).