Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just had my eyeball drilled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Sep 11, 2012.

1. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

In the last 3 years Ive managed to get metaal in my eye 4 times. Yes I wear eye protection. From what I have been told my my eye doctor, the metal is never really deep but I always wait one day too long to go and see him so I usually have a rust spot that he has to clean up. Never had to have the metal drilled out. He always gets it out with a pick. Apparently I sweat like a whore in church and tend to wipe the metal into my own eyes. Go figure.

As for the eye drops, they are an antibiotic. Helps the eye heal faster and lessens the chance of infection.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  2. williebill

williebill

After 4 or 5 trips to get this shit removed,you'll kinda get used to it.
    I've had it fall directly into my eye long after I'm done,too.
    Then there'll be another brick of it in the corner of my eye in the morning.
    If I could see worth a damn,I bet my eyes really look like hell now

3. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i'm still in my search for better safety googles but I had a thought about ski google, i have never skied but they seem they would have a better fit/seal, anti shatter and replaceable lensed, vents that are screened and anti fog as well as a large field of view. Any skiers have input on this idea?

4. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I know the situation is not funny but that is ^^^^^^^^ and I couldn't help but laugh. Had the same thing happen to me. The Doc. used the needle off a syringe to get the metal out. I was lucky, no rust.

5. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

6. I had to have a wire off of a wire wheel that was in my 4" grinder removed from my right eye! Twas stuck in there about 3/8"! I could look at it stickin out (about an 1 1/2" long wire) with my left eye!Didn't hurt but it sucked just the same! I had to have it irrigated with 3 needles full of saline and then stitched! They cannot put you out as you go into rem (rapid eye movement) when under so I was just given enough to "GOON me up" then they said "Don't move!" as they were stickin a needle in my eye that looked as big a a frickin howitzer! Bein Redline aint as easy as I make it look!!!

7. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

8. Model T1

Model T1

Yes, we joke about things like this but I believe those of us who have had the misfortune to experience these things are just trying to explain and hope others either learn or take more precautions.
    I was so happy after getting cataract surgury and lens implants around 5 years ago. No glasses! I always told everyone I was born with glasses. As many know they are a real pain when working on cars and when sweating. Then the damned tre branch attacted me!

No none of this is about traditional rods. But we sure need our eyes and body parts to enjoy them.

9. mailerguy1

mailerguy1

Johnny, Good to hear it all worked out for the best. I did the same thing a few years back and it ain't no walk in the park. Did they happen to tell you now that you can't have an MRI on your head done because of the metal?

10. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

I got some grinding particles under my safety glasses about 10-12 years ago. I thought I had it all flushed out, my eye felt good until the next morning. It felt like someone was pushing their thumb into my eye, could hardly open it, etc, so I went in, it had started to rust, sure sucked. The wierd part was I went in for an MRI after a car accident a couple years ago, the first thing they asked when they found out I am a mechanic is if I have ever had metal in my eyes. Well, yes, so the next question was did they get it all out? I believe so, they still would not put me in it until I had an x-ray first to make sure something wouldnt move or worse yet rip out of my eye when they turned on the magnet. Knowing what it felt like when it was in, I am glad they checked, I have no desire to know what it may feel like coming out that way! :eek:

11. RatPin

RatPin

When I was in high school I was doing bodywork on my car each day and one morning I woke up and 80% of the white portion of one of my eyes solid blood red. It looked freaky. No pain but it sure did get people's attention. All I could ever think was that a particle of filler got in there somehow. Wish I had pictures.

12. Abomb

Abomb

My right eye is apparently magnetic, I know how you guys feel.....

13. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

no they did not tell me, i would have never thought twice that it would be a factor in a MRI, i feel bad for the poor guys they found out it was a problem

14. Model T1

Model T1

If they got the metal out it won't be a problem.

15. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

Man, I just got home from the doctor about 5 mins. ago, just had the same thing done! You are right! not the most fun I've had in a day either!! In fact I'm typing with only one eye open right now! Just shows that you can't be too careful!

16. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

If they got all the metal out, it is not a problem with MRIs, but it is something that never even crossed my mind until I needed an MRI. ;)

The way the gals running the MRI explained it is it isnt necisarily the piece coming out, but it could also move around within the eye and wreck your vision that way too. Either way, they took no chances since I wasnt positive they had got it all out however long ago, so they X-rayed me first, and would not put me in the MRI until the doc had checked the X-ray for particles. I did get my MRI that day, it just took a bit longer. :)

17. Model T1

Model T1

Makes us wonder how often this happens! Use the drops. Don't let your eye get infected.
    I drove 1000 miles to visit our kids three weeks after I poked my eye out. Didn't know at the time the lens had been knocked inside. And this year two more 1000 mile each way trips again. Doctors asked if I had any problems driving. I just said the texters and other butt holes. But that's normal. If I only see half of them I feel safer. :D

18. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

Definately use the drops! I forget how often I had to use mine, but I do remember that if I was busy and let it go a little bit long for time, my eye sure as hell let me know it was time for them!! :eek: Would recomend being johney-on-the-spot with anything else the doc recomends too, they are able to do lots these days (as Model T1 has given a great example of), but it only goes so far if you dont cooperate with it.

19. upspirate

upspirate

I had that done once....it sucks!!!

20. I got metal in my eye 2 times both times I was wearing my safety goggles. Then I noticed all the metal in my hair coming out in the shower and knew how I got the metal in my eye.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. bustingear

bustingear

I have had metal picked out twice. Easy to get distracted and forget the visor.

22. I feel for you dude.
    I had on a shield and something got me dead center, in the pupil.
    I lost the eye after 6 surgeries.
    The pain is unbearable, that was 11 years ago this month, and it still hurts.
    Good luck. Joe

23. Had that last year,right in the black of my left eye.The end of the drill looked as big as a basketball when he was drilling!

24. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

25. mattlowe

mattlowe

i use chemical handeling safty goggles , not the cheapest but work great

26. prpmmp

prpmmp

27. Safety is so important in a shop especially at home because most of us work alone. About 7 years ago while at work (not wearing safety glasses) A piece of tooling on a press brake over lapped and shot a shard through my right eye.It was the size of a needle 1 1/2" long. Took 5 hours of laser surgery to save my vision. I have some damage but I deal with it.I truely see safety in a dfferent light now.

28. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

My uncle is now minus one eye because he caught a wire from a bench mounted wire wheel. Needless to say, myself and my kids always wear eye protection in the shop, regardless of the task.

29. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I've been there too many times too. Using air to blow metal shavings off is also dangerous.

When you are scheduled for an MRI, they will always ask you about your job and hobbies. Mechanics, machinists and tin benders will always have the orbits of their eyes X-rayed for metal.

30. nickk

nickk

welcome to the club