Register now to get rid of these ads!

suggested MIG gas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by recondotexas, Sep 11, 2012.

1. i use 92/8 argon/co2. i only have one bottle right now and that is what it is. for aluminum i would go straight argon. if you don't need your welder to spray 75/25 argon/co2 would be my recommendation

2. rustang

rustang

PNB.... yup. When I was talking structural I was in reference to frame welding, boxing or even making a trailer hitch (this weeks project).

I only have/use a 115v lincoln promig (most of my work is typically sheet metal, or at most unibody frames), so I've never needed much more. It was not until i was doing my frame on my truck that I brushed off the tombstone. I found that the boxing and critical welds (at least to me) I felt better using the stick.... If I would have a220 mig, I'm sure that i would have used that... the little boxes have their limits, and when it comes to safety, I try not to push them... maybe I'm getting old?.. LOL

3. Well Beaner here we are again. But I agree with you this time. For production CO2 is the way to go. We use mix because we do alot of AESS and it saves on clean up. For the average garage guy that is buying two or three fills a year the cost isn't going to be that much more and the results will be cleaner. But when the gas truck pulls up twice a week the savings add up fast.

4. I've used nothing but CO2 for 25 years. It may be a bit messy, but nothing that a few swipes with a flap wheel won't knock off.
    The real bonus is the CO2 comes in real handy for carbonating home brew and soda. A couple of glasses of the brew tends to make your welds look prettier. Beer goggles

5. Aeroman

Aeroman

x3 works great for me too

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Sorry dude, 75-25 is the way to go. Yeah you can use straight co2 but he nailed it. "It is the most user friendly for a variety of thickness" I think you just like being contrary. :p

7. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

The 75-25 is the most user friendly and you being new to welding I would just stick with it. And The guy who paid 98 bucks to fill a small bottle. Thats wayyyyy steep on the price range. I pay 25 bucks to swap a #3 bottle with the 75-25 mix. And when I was into the whole Mini truckin scene I ran co2 for the bags instead of a compressor. It would only cost me about 30 dollars to swap out 2 tanks. I dont remember the sizes but they where about 2.5 foot tall.

8. Toe-maters
    Toe-motters
    Tuh-mot-toes
    Tuh-mate-ers

I vote 75/25
    Works for my crappyass welding

9. red70racer

red70racer

10. silent rick

silent rick

fellas fellas, don't make me pull this car over.

11. Well you seem knowledgeable,
    But I can tell you this, with two posts now, you probably haven't read the forum rules. You know the big ass sticky that says "READ THIS FIRST" and if you did - well you didn't pay any attention to it.

I might suggest you read some of the other ridiculous welding threads on this board and get a feel of what you are jumping into before you jump

12. rustang

rustang

Too funny!!! :) :)

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Are we there yet? :D

14. customs by jason

customs by jason

I use 75/25 mix also works great for sheet metal. Ive never used stright CO2 before tho

15. Sidewinder777

Sidewinder777
    from Dayton,Nv

For mild steel, Blue Sheild 8, swear by it.