Register now to get rid of these ads!

homemade fan shrouds lets see them/info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Sep 11, 2012.

1. im thinking abotu changing my shroud,keeps overheating and there are no problems,only in traffic so its a airflow problem.currently it has just a 'guard' type of shroud over the fan thats open on the bottom to work on the car, if you hold a paper in front of the rad, it sucks it tight but im not sure thats enough.

so how would you go about building a funnel style shroud to fit a A radiator? would you make it a full shroud(have to remove the front rad/shell) to get the fan off? when you think about it theres a lot of design that can be changed and i dont want to do it twice.

2. Aviator

Aviator

3. The one Imade for my '47 Chevy PU.

[​IMG]

4. paverguy

paverguy

5. Aviator, that is a great pictoral on how to build a shroud! Very good information!

~Alden

6. I saw a great shroud on a car at the Ventura Nationals. was made from old license plates..

7. thanks a bunch fellas! did you notice a big difference after you put them in?

8. officerfalfa

officerfalfa

9. Here is one that was made to fit my 32 Radiator shell also at the bottom flaps were installed to let some of the air escape. Works well here in Arizona.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

Dave Mc and The 39 guy like this.
  10. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

Here's one I made from ¾" flat strap iron and 20 gauge sheet metal for my '32 radiator. I left the bottom third of the core exposed (I figured the shroud might act as a hinderance at speed due to the high placement of the fan). The fan was moved to maybe ¾" from the radiator core, and I left the blades slightly protruding from the back of the shroud. The biggest difference I've noticed is improved cooling at idle and in traffic in really hot weather. You can feel the increased air flow in front of the grille.

Attached Files:

Dave Mc and Chavezk21 like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is one I built for a 32 with a 348 Chev. .063 aluminum

Attached Files:

12. Nice shrouds here! I started making them for my stock cars to help them cool a little better. With nothing more than a hand shear, foot brake (all borrowed..) and pop rivits. It was all thin, .040 for the shroud, .063 for the doublers and brackets.

It had to be flimsy enough to tear away in the event of a wreck and not take out the radiator in the process. Something for the street should be beefier, but totally attainable with simple shop tools.

Bob

13. i started making one today from that posterboard stuff,a old t-shirt,staple gun,fiberglass resin and soem fiberglass matt.

so far its coming out good!!!

14. I like seeing guys go the extra mile with a proper mechanical fan and shroud, instead of a plastic electric fan. Those that are made of 'glass even look like they could pass for factory.

15. squirrel

squirrel

might not be applicable to an A, but here's mine....realty sign is from wife's grandpa who passed in the 1980s. Crossflow radiator and upper core support bar have been removed.

Attached Files:

16. dbucher

dbucher

diamond plate, 15$, fitted the fan in the shroud and bolted it to the rad frame

Attached Files:

17. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

I built this one to help keep the nailhead cool in the company hauler.

[​IMG]

Dave Mc likes this.
  18. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

this is one i fabricated for my `32 roadster.

Attached Files:

Dave Mc and Baron like this.
  19. just finished mine up,cant upload pics since im on a phone but made out of posterboard,t shirt and som resin it looks good! made the bottom open so i can slide it in and out without removing the radiator.cutting down a 7 blade fan tomorow,hopefully these changes will help.some good looking cool stuff you guys are making

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wow, Hooligan! I just misread that, thought you said you were 'on a phone, but it was made out of posterboard!'

First Scotch all day, and Stockton's pretty close...

21. fleetside66

fleetside66

My garbage can shroud...I think I'll make some corners for it this winter...better late than never.

[​IMG]

And, I still have the garbage can.

[​IMG]

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I still like this one made from steamer food trays. :) Cant remember whos it is but I plan to copy the idea. :)

Attached Files:

Dave Mc and '49 Ford Coupe like this.
  23. Holy shit, I would not have guessed!

jeffd1988 likes this.
  24. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Here's mine. I hammer formed out of 22 gage it in 3 pieces and welded it together.

Attached Files:

• 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      98.3 KB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      100.6 KB
      Views:
    Dave Mc likes this.
  25. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

33vicShrd1.jpg 33vicShrd2.jpg 33vicShrd4.jpg 33vicShrd6.jpg I made this one by first making a two piece Die from 3/4" Plywood and Squashing it out of Aluminum with a porta-power .it houses an electric fan,works great on my 33

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    chop job and '49 Ford Coupe like this.
  26. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

Another hammer formed one. A write up is on my web site.
    [​IMG]

Dave Mc, BoilermakerDave and 32 4door like this.
  27. That would be the amazing work of da tinman. It's in my coupe and has received many, many positive comments and has also inspired a few to create one for themselves.

28. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Simple sheet metal work... It definitely helps keep my y block cooler in traffic.

[​IMG]

29. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Deff getting the motivation to build one for mine now... sitting in traffic is when mine heats up...

Coolest so far is the garbage can !!!

30. chevy3755

chevy3755

nice tech.........a keeper