Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 merc build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desotot, Oct 9, 2011.

1. desotot

desotot

Well, prostockjohn affected my way of thinking, I have decided after much deliberation that I won't be running lakepipes, guess I'll just go with 2 1/2" exhaust instead.

2. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

3. desotot

desotot

thanks, I hope it gets into the body shop for finishing body work and paint soon, drives me crazy that it runs so nice but I can't use it yet.

4. desotot

desotot

Well, it hasn't gone to the body shop yet, so I thought I would yank the rear leafs cause the right rear is sittng 2"s too high. I talked to a spring shop and they say they can rework the springs to match, as well they will do it with the 3 leafs I removed and lower it enough so I can run with a smaller lowering block than the 3" ones I made, so I'll take them in tomorrow.If anyone has a comment on what you've done or think I should do I would like to hear from you. Thanks.

5. desotot

desotot

I decided to dearch the rear springs myself with a manual 20 ton press, I did each leaf individually, thats a lot of pumping at two inch spacing center to center.That lowered the rear about 4"s. On wednesday it go to the body shop for finishig bodywork and paint. Yippee!!!
    [​IMG]

6. I sometimes think about adding that side trim to my car, it would pop like nobody's business. I think the lake pipes compete for attention... And the side trim is such a cool mod.

Any thoughts on colors?

7. desotot

desotot

Yes , I like the side trim myself, I had planned to do a flame job on this car but they lost out to Buick side trim. As for the lake pipes they may possibly fall to the wayside because I have them on my other merc and they are a lot of work keeping them looking decent. The only way to keep them clean is by getting down on your hands and knees and crawling arround like I have nothing better to do.As for color there is a Dupont red I like but I decided to go for black cause I always felt it looks kind of sneaky. I had a baby Lincoln that was black and I always loved it.
    My merc finally made it to the body shop for paint, should have it back in a couple of weeks.
    [​IMG]

8. Looks bitchin' can't wait to see it in paint.

9. chaw5634

chaw5634

What a great build. I like your seats!
    My merc is chopped 3.5" and I often wonder how other guys can see out with bigger chops. I need to get some new seats, I was thinking about early tbird then lowering them a little.

Great work man keep it up.
    Carl

10. desotot

desotot

thanks , I would have grabbed some pre 64 Tbird seats if they would have come up before the riviera seats came to me. The later 64+ Tbird seats are also neat but all the aluminum tends to be pretty rough or beat up after 50 years.

11. 2drmerc

2drmerc

Iv just gone through the project from start till now,
    its a gret project you have, it's good to see tec' info along the way.
    I will be useing the buick trim myself so i will doing the same as you with the fender cutouts, it must look beter than having them angled.

12. desotot

desotot

Doing a cut out is the way to go. The bodyshop has my merc in primer and are letting it shrink for a week or so before they do a final block, then they will begin paint, I'm starting to vibrate.:D

13. desotot

desotot

Some colour,, some pics , it will come home in a couple of days.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. paint looks great.is it polished or is that right out of the gun??
    great build,wish mine was closer to paint!

15. desotot

desotot

the hood is getting some polishing to get rid of a fuzzy, it's pretty much done so it will be bolted on soon as I drop of the cowl lace, I brought out some everseal to put between the 1/4s and the body yesterday so they can be bolted on as well.

16. Eric H

Eric H

Looks great. Can't wait to see it together.

17. Skirv

Skirv

Looks great desotot.

18. b-bob

b-bob

Looks great Jack, i remember that black Lincoln.....that was a long time ago eh!?

19. desotot

desotot

Yeah, I put a lot of miles o n that Lincoln, well my merc won't hit the road till spring now but that will give me time to caress and finish it.:D

20. desotot

desotot

today we took the plunge, my fellow friend and hotrodder Larry J came by and welded my Buick door trim with his own small tig welder which likes lower volts than my big machine. Here are some pics, the next step will be the stainless finisher.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Trims looking good!

22. desotot

desotot

thanks chopped51, now I have to start thinking about an interior color, red, red and white, black and white, tan, brown leather, hmmm, I'm kinda leaning to the red but could change my mind at any moment.

23. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

24. desotot

desotot

oxblood is a nice color but I think I'll gowith a more 50s theme, I think I may have talked myself out of the buckets and back to the origional seats again, well I should go down to the shop and make myself a Fickle Finger of Fate Award.

25. lucky ink

lucky ink

Great job..keep us posted

26. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Wow, paint is looking great! Great build!

27. I've got all red interior in mine. It's a big car. Almost overwhelming

28. I'm pretty undecided on interior too.

29. desotot

desotot

Home at last! Now to begin the assembly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. desotot

desotot

The hood now closes well and the gaps are decent.
    Now I will have to clean the eng comp and start on the glass.
    [​IMG]