Register now to get rid of these ads!

" THE FUGITIVE" F.E.D Dragster Build "

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ricci32, Dec 6, 2011.

1. masracingtd1167

masracingtd1167
    from ct

A friend of mine is having a rear engine car built by him and he is very pleased by his work.

2. masracingtd1167

masracingtd1167
    from ct

A friend of mine is having a rear engine car built by him and he is very pleased by his work.

3. masracingtd1167

masracingtd1167
    from ct

A friend of mine is having a rear engine car built by him and is very happy with his work.

4. Ricci32

Ricci32

You can not beat working with David Beard the quality of his work is fantastic no flash shop old school race shop, He is good at making your dreams come true and understanding your vision along with his expierence. His prices are reasonable which makes a CUSTOM build like mine possible. Beast of all i fell like i have made a life long friend and was not just a customer. Its not very often someones expectations are greater than mine.

5. 1939STREETROD

1939STREETROD

also, try ECK plastics in binghamton ny - they make parts for orange co choppers too - bob eck can make anything!...great place for colored lexan windshields too.

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Have David explain to me the reasoning behind the un-supported bend in the middle of the upper frame rail (transmission bay).

7. Ricci32

Ricci32

the chassis was based on prints of a original kent fuller car that area is where the motor plate bolts in th car

8. Ricci32

Ricci32

more chassis pics

Attached Files:

9. Ricci32

Ricci32

Here are pics of my race wheels a pair of old nos weld beadlocks. What do you think with or without the moon style disks.

Attached Files:

10. looking good Chris! Chassis is killer!

Jay

11. fuel749

fuel749

The bend in the upper framerail is there per Larry's request to style the car after a Fuller car. Considerations to tubing diameter and wall thickness were made in this area to satisfy my desire to keep the chassis as safe as possible.

12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

All I can say is "WOW"

13. fuel749

fuel749

I would be absolutely tickled to hear your actual opinion dre.

14. Nitrobaron

Nitrobaron

I understand what Bruce is getting at, those bends create a "Hinge" without a upright to triangulate that bay. Becasue Fuller did it in the 60's doesn't make it right.

Straighten a length of clothes hanger wire, nice and straight. Pull and push on it, pretty rigid right?
    Now, put a Z bend in it similar to the chassis, and pull. I bet it moved alot. Pull hard enough and you will striaghten it right out. Push hard enough, and that bend will compress. This experiment should scare you into correcting it.

I am not tyring to be critical, I (and assume Bruce too) am concerned about your safety. You can have the "look" and be safe too with a minor modification.

If not, I expect it will collapse after landing hard on the first big wheelstand.

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I like the car too, but I agree that bend needs an upright. The motorplate is ahead of that right? I can't see how it could pass tech that way. Don't get me wrong I am not hammering on the chassis I just have concerns about that one area no matter what the thickness is there. Lippy

16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Opinion sent via PM

17. Ricci32

Ricci32

Thanks for the feedback guys adding an upright is not an issue looking forward to seeing the car as a roller. Larry

18. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Adding an extention to the upper rail in the bend to the rear end upright would work seeing the size of the rear end mounting plate, but would still put a half clamshell piece of tubing on the upright to spread the load.

19. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

Attached are two shots lifted from www.cacklefest.com. #1 is the Little Fuller #2 is the Chubasco car.
    dwrfab Don Ross

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  20. Ricci32

Ricci32

Thanks for the pics

21. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

Welcome Fuel749 to the hell that is the hamb , anyone can build a chassis but how many have built a chassis thats won a NHRA Wally or broke a land speed record , not many . Fuel749 knows what he is doing , Ricci, awesome digger frame , i think it will be a great dragster for you

22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I have done all of that and more so that gives me the qualifacation to make assesments of somthing I know a lot about.

23. Ricci32

Ricci32

This is not the way i wanted this thread to go. The advice was well taken and to avoid any precieved safety or possible tech issues at my request we installed a x member in that area to eliminate a potential issue with a frontal crash or a severe wheel stand . That is now the strongest area on the chassis. Brought the car home yesterday it is a awsome ride It is exactly what i wanted and asked for .the work contiues pictures to follow Thanks

24. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Glad to hear that---have fun

25. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

dreracecar, Im sorry I was not trying to compare , just wanted everyone to know that Dave is not just some hack, he is a great builder and I am proud to own one for his dragsters .Larry I do apologize

26. Ricci32

Ricci32

The dragster is home at my shop. The work now continues. Here are a few pics , the wheels on the rear are just rollers they have the wrong offset.

Attached Files:

• d1.JPG
      d1.JPG
      File size:
      134.6 KB
      Views:
    • d4.JPG
      d4.JPG
      File size:
      128.1 KB
      Views:
  27. Ricci32