Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox trans on merc 8cm?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog Dish Deluxe, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Somebody on here will know. I'm trying to use a stock shoebox overdrive trans on a merc 8cm block but it acts like the pilot shaft is too big to fit into the clutch. I'm trying to find out if there is a difference in the size or if it's just not fitting in because of surface rust or something.

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Merc block is the same as 8BA Shoebox block. Which components from each are you using? Pilot shaft and clutch have nothing to do with the block, so you must have "mixed and matched" components.

3. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Well, not the actual "block" but the stock merc clutch and everything. The customer brought me everything and the clutch/bell housing is all put together so I'm not sure what hes used in it.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Is the clutch disc hub accurately aligned with the pilot bearing? If the disc is not perfectly centered it is damn difficult to get the pilot shaft to enter the pilot bearing/bushing.

Although it shouldn't be contributing to the problem you ask about, it would be worthwhile to make sure the disc he installed has the correct hub spline for the trans you are using. The Merc input spline is larger than the Ford equivalent. However, if that were the case, I would think your trans slip into place with no difficulty at all.

Ray

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just fitted a std early 3 speed to a merc 8cm. I have a ford o/d and a merc o/d here if you would like me take measurements but am pretty sure they are identical.

6. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Im thinking there is rust or old grease in there making it not want to go together right. I'm going to just have to pull it apart and see i guess. Just wanted to make sure about the clutch/spline sizes before I spend the extra time to tear into it further since its for a customer and time is money.

7. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

Dirt dobber wasps have caused many a problem!