Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 f-100 power steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by budssupere, Sep 4, 2012.

1. budssupere

budssupere

I have a 1955 f-100 p/u and I would like to keep my stright axle, what steering box would work as a direct replacement for my stock steering box and do I need a Ram also or just the steering box and pump an lines.
    Thanks Bud

2. Tacson

Tacson

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

a friend of mine done his 56 f100 with a toyota box. 3 speed column shift will not work with kit. what engine are you running? his y block was hard to find a pulley for the pump. they reproduce them are costly. works great when finished. with modern engine and automatic should be easy job.

4. budssupere

budssupere

ya I am running a 390 and a C-6 trans.

5. Larry T

Larry T

I think the Toyota is as close as you're gonna come to "bolt in".

Mid Fifties sells everything you need to do the job. Probably on their website.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Best tip: Find an Off Road shop that does the new refits on Off Road 4 Wheelers.

They remove these boxes and linkage on the serious Off-Roaders, sell the old boxes for $25-$50. My son Tory bought 2, and he and his brother now have power steering in their '55 F100s. (so do I, on mine: a former employee of mine had some parts trucks, one of which was the Toyo P/S box I needed. I bought him a case of beer.

If you move your front axle forward (by drilling the main leaves in the springs...1.25" forward, to center the wheel in the fenderwell) you will NEED the longer drag link.
    I made one up by threading the cut-off F100 link, and screwing it into a length of D.O.M. tubing. Opposite end got a threaded ball-socket end from a Model A tie rod.

I used Mid-Fifties' 'U' joint and pitman arm. (wish that pitman arm was longer...I used to pitch this truck into a turn like a sprinter! Now it drives like an 'older fellow's truck'.)

7. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

watch for exhaust clearence around the box and hoses. the hoses come out the top.

8. budssupere

budssupere

Well thanks guys I got the box last Saturday, and the pump is in the mail, so I am getting closer . The motor is a 390 with a c-6 trans, I moved the motor forwarded enough to have just enough clearance for the pan to miss the Axel and raised the motor 1 1/2" and raised the tail shaft on the trans 1 inch. I am using a stock radiator and a elect fan. so have not had any problems with it to this point but it does drive like an old tank truck so the power steering should be a big help. lol

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012