Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engler's is crushing!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by montclaire, Jun 8, 2012.

1. montclaire

montclaire

Just a big heads-up, Bob Engler has decided for various reasons, to scrap the yard. He's crushed 40 cars this week and will keep clearing as he can. If there is anything you need, better get there quick, and if you have never been there, now may be the last chance to see this amazing yard. 2000 cars, mostly 70s and back, and less by the day. He's on Stairville Road in Wapwallopen, PA. There are still a lot of good parts worth grabbing, even complete big blocks, panel trucks, rat pickups, etc, spread the word.

2. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Oh man I hate to hear these stories, but I guess it is the sign of the times...... They did the same thing to a yard not far from me several years ago lots of twenties and thirties cars including Zephers. I hope someone can get in there and buy up all that they can.

Billy

3. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

why? scrap price is low right now and dropping.

4. chevguy

chevguy

I haven't been there in about 2 years. I know a couple years back he crushed some out. I had a 64 Bel Air wagon at the time he had a impala wagon i wanted to get chrome off of but didn't have time on the day i was there went back a couple weeks later and he crushed a bunch and it was 1 of them.

5. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

It's nothing to do with scrap prices like it was said there is various other reasons. It's not always about money state regs and health issues sometimes play a part in these yards being scrapped out...i know of a good yard that was crushed out after the state came and wanted them to do a $400,000 clean up was better to just scrap and sell the land....and had another good friend who had a stroke and couldn't get around his yard...the family couldn't manage it anymore so it had to shut it down

6. BAGGEDIMPALA63

BAGGEDIMPALA63
    from VA

Same here in va , the owner passed he wouldnt sell anything, once he passed kid sold for a while then scraped the rest like 500 plus cars all 66 ish and down, these cars mainly complete impalas, bel airs 55-57, 41 ford coupes, lots of falcons and mustangs. i got a few things but man it was tons left.

7. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In general I agree it's unfortunate that these cars get crushed.

On the other hand, these vehicles have obviously been there for a long time and no one has scooped them up so far. So, just how in demand are they. The people "warehousing" this stuff can't continue to do it for the rest of us at no cost and/or forever.

"he who hesitates is lost"

Ray

9. Roger53

Roger53

Just because a place has a load of cars and they've been sitting there doesn't mean a thing .Not but a hand full of miles from me was a laod of cars but the owner wouldnt sell a thing.He died and a friend says to me one day boys it's to bad they crushed all of thoses cars. The family couldnt be bouther with an ad or just letting the word out to came and buy we're going to crush on what ever date. reply to Hnstray so in general I do not agree with your post. respectfully of course.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Point taken..............for those cases where the owner refused to sell, for whatever reason, and denied others the opportunity to save the vehicles in question.

But very often these posts are about some place that has been willing to sell their stuff and it has gone unsold.........until now, when circumstances have changed, crushing begins, and now many people lament the "loss" of these cars. Trying to control the disposition of someone else's property by people who have no financial stake was once described to me as "The Principle of Borrowed Ownership"........seems an apt description for many cases, especially land use, not just old cars.

Ray

11. montclaire

montclaire

Bob would sell pretty much anything, but now that the end is near he's a little more accomodating. He WILL sell whole cars but he has no titles.

12. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Problem is they are Pennsylvania cars put through years of salt then sat in a junkyard for 40 years it's like that all over the place

13. Agenda 21? Google it . . .

14. Well that explains a lot of the crap going on now! what a bunch of horse shit! land of the free my ass!!:mad:

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not really anything to do with Agenda21 like some are saying. My family is all through that area, Wapwallopen, Berwick, etc. and that area is getting more and more depressed. The fracking crap happening upstream is not helping at all. The Susquehanna valley is not what it once was.

16. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

I think people should advertise them to us for scrap prices before they scrap them!!!

17. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

I agree! If a guy is willing to pay scrap value for something that a guy is going to scrap then why not?

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Easy for you to say............but for older owners, or their heirs, why screw around spending advertising money, dealing with phone calls, dozens, if not hundreds, of Lookie Lou's, and so on, when one or two phone calls gets a scrapper on site and working with little or no effort on the part of the seller..........

Makes more sense to them...........what many people don't "get" is that "their" ( our) interests aren't always shared by others....whose idea of a good time doesn't include a bunch of rusty 'ol stuff. We all, you and me, operate primarily by doing what is in our 'self interest'......where what you want (your self interest) happens to coincide with my self interest, or vice versa, we do business to our mutual advantage. Where it doesn't, we each do what's best for us. Very simple and usually works well.

This same scenario has been playing out for decades......all the "junkyards" of my youth (50's & 60's) are looong gone and their contents with them. And yards I have seen photos of, that existed well before then, were already gone by the 50's/60's.

If you see something you want, if it can be bought, and if you can afford it, and if you got someplace to keep it, buy it now!

Ray

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  19. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

20. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Hmm pic didn't post? Here you go.

Attached Files:

• Cars.jpg
      Cars.jpg
      File size:
      336.6 KB
      Views:
  21. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

22. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

I'm from Williamsport I'm right in the middle of it too...everytime I turn around it's another new gas company or well going up near my house...to many to count at this point...guess it's what our world is coming to atleast in the river valley...if your ever in this area stop on by HAMBers are always welcome at my house

23. montclaire

montclaire

bump It's a month later since I first posted, that means approx 160 more cars are now gone.

24. montclaire

montclaire